Tell me what's going to surprise the first time visitor to Barcelona?

Inside? Outside? Both? We were thinking of just spending about 1/2 hr there. Should we allow more time?

The outside(all sides as they are all different) as you approach it.All my times there I have never gone inside..it is unfinished as well,and I just never wanted to go in..sometime maybe.If you just want to walk around it IMHO you will be fine,and !/2 hour should be more than enough time.If you have the time in Barcelona try to get to Parc Guell..it is mind boggling unto itself,and worth the visit.Gaudi's house is there too.There is so much to see and do in Barcelona.It is easiest to grab a cab to the Parc..cabs are cheap there and then grab one back although you will have to flag one down and it may take a few minutes.

The inside of Sagrada Familia is very interesting, so if time allows I'd recommend it .... we also thought Park Guell was wonderful, and highly recommend an hour or two at Casa Mila.

How long will you be in Barcelona?

Walking through Las Ramblas you will come across people dressed up as statues. They are totally painted and remarkably dressed up as if they were really decorative works of art. Eerie and fascinating when they stand totally still. If you take a picture in front of them or of them, they expect a tip. There's nothing wrong with that based upon how much work and effort they put into their art.

I expected Barcelona to be spanish speaking. They do speak Spanish, but Catalan is the language primarily spoken in homes. Children learn Spanish when they go to school.

I had never even heard of Catalan before! Its a mixture of Spanish and French. All the signs are in Catalan and Spanish.

How funky and fun Barcelona is. I guess you might not be too surprised if you realize that the area produced Picasso, Miro, and Gaudi. Even the shoes are great!

Also, that it's such a nightspot. Everything starts late (dinner at 9 or even 10 pm is usual).

Hi, we'll be in Barcelona port 10 hours on a Sunday. Would that be enough time to visit La Sagrada Familia, La Pedreda (Casa Mila), Guell Park and use HOHO bus? I really would like to do it all! Oh, plus walk Las Ramblas too!:D

Edit:

Sorry, no need to answer; did not mean to hijack this thread!

I was surprised to find that there are still Roman ruins in Barcelona. There is a museum in the gothic quarter that takes you underground where you walk on elevated plexiglas walkways over excaveted ruins.

Also, as much as I thought I knew about Gaudi, how amazing it was to see multiple examples altogether. We were there last year, and the Casa Batllo had just opened to the public. It's a private residence, just a few blocks from La Pedrera, Gaudi's more generally known apartment building.

How wonderful the city is!!! And how happy and alive!!

The Old City is older than you expect, the Modernista buildings are more amazing than the pictures show--there is more than Gaudi, look at the street lights and the sidewalk (ok--that is Gaudi)--and then the modern city and Spanish design is amazing--as are the shoe stores!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, if you will be in Barcelona on Sunday visit Las Ramblas. Last June, while I was there, it was lined with arts and crafts vendors for the day that sold everything from jewelry to handmade soaps. So much to choose from and so much fun! Las Ramblas is lined with outdoor cafes from one end to the other. Enjoy!

Everything the other posters have said is true. But I would add the CROWDS!! We were just there and it was a holiday on Tuesday. But there were hoards of people so allow that into your visiting. Long lines for the HOHO bus and all attractions. (Might consider the subway or city buses instead of the bus.) However, it is an amazing city and one not to be missed.

Archived