Crazy way to save for your cruise

Just wondering what people do to save that bit extra for their onboard account or cruise? The missus and I are avid game players, right now we play "Power crazy 8's". 25c if you lose a game, $1 if you get stuck with the queen of spades, $1 if you get stuck with 100 points in your hand etc. Same for Yahtzee, 25c per game and an extra 25c for every extra Yahtzee. You dont miss the money when its in small amounts and it adds up fast. Last year we saved $345 in 10 months.

Just wondering if we are mad, snow bound crazies or do other people do this:)

I have a "cruise fund" jar. I pay myself $1 for every hour of exercise I complete and every hour I spend cooking/cleaning. I put the money in a savings account once I get enough to bother with just to earn a little extra, unless I'm cruising soon enough to just hang on to the cash. (Like now!) :)

We have a big jar.....and every single day..any change from that day goes in the jar. I don't use change to pay for anything. If the price is 1.01, i pay with 2 dollars and save the change. It adds up fast ! My hubby's dollar bills go in the jar daily too ! :D

This money definately covers tips and some gambling !

Every time I want to buy something, I ask myself "Do I really need this"? If the answer is 'no', I don't buy it and put the money in my cruise account instead.

I also hold a garage sale once a year which brings in about $1500.

And for everything else, there is eBay.

Just wondering what people do to save that bit extra for their onboard account or cruise? The missus and I are avid game players, right now we play "Power crazy 8's". 25c if you lose a game, $1 if you get stuck with the queen of spades, $1 if you get stuck with 100 points in your hand etc. Same for Yahtzee, 25c per game and an extra 25c for every extra Yahtzee. You dont miss the money when its in small amounts and it adds up fast. Last year we saved $345 in 10 months.

Just wondering if we are mad, snow bound crazies or do other people do this:)

Nope. I decided to save up wedding money (since I have a wedding every month until Christmas), and toss in all the one and two-dollar coins I have. I have an antique jug my mother left when she died, and all the cruise money is going in there.

Fran in Toronto

i put all my tips into one bag every nite, and last year it added up to 1,244.00. since january of this year i started saving all my tips dollars too so far 800.00 something in bills and do not know how much change till i take it to the bank next january! hope to pay for whole trip!!!

You gotta get the RCL VISA card. You get a good deal there with the points. Next, when you take your cruise, book on board for the next one, another discount. Stay with RCL, the more cruises, the higher you go in the C&A. Once you enroll in C&A, there are coupons available on line. And Platinum and Diamond members get very nice discounts and many extras. Cruise discounts valued from $50 to $200, depending on the cruise. OK, next is the shareholder's program. It's not cheap, you gotta buy 100 shares, but if you are investing for your future and wanna get $$ off of your next cruise, check it out.

Sea you,

Rick and Deirdra

Have to agree with the other posters, I save all loose change and spend it only for vacations, I have over $200.00 saved so far! It adds up fast and its really easy to do. I also put all money I earn from overtime in my savings account.

The missus and I do webcam shows nightly from 11pm-1am. I will never understand the person who watched her chew gum for 45 minutes, but I am thankful for the money!!!

That was me, I think she "excel'd" at the chewing but I got all "wrigley" sitting there watching, I got hungry and managed to find some "Juicy Fruit" to snack on:D

We start the cruise jar when we book the cruise (usually about a year out). At the end of every week we open our wallets and put in the leftovers.

We count the money when we get the docs!!

You gotta get the RCL VISA card. You get a good deal there with the points. Next, when you take your cruise, book on board for the next one, another discount. Stay with RCL, the more cruises, the higher you go in the C&A. Once you enroll in C&A, there are coupons available on line. And Platinum and Diamond members get very nice discounts and many extras. Cruise discounts valued from $50 to $200, depending on the cruise. OK, next is the shareholder's program. It's not cheap, you gotta buy 100 shares, but if you are investing for your future and wanna get $$ off of your next cruise, check it out.

Sea you,

Rick and Deirdra

As I understand it though, the RCL Visa is not available to those of us outside the US. Could be wrong, of course, but that was my understanding......:(

Fran in Toronto

You may be able to buy a Yacht with all that wedding money until December.icon12.gif

I wish - hahahaha. I just raised my fees to do a wedding to $200 - so by December I will have $2000, plus whatever loose change adds up. Enough to cover the extra costs, and put a hefty deposit on another cruise!!!!

Fran in Toronto

I custom make jewelry and sell it to my friends, at craft shows and little home shows. It's really picked up with prom and weddings! I can't wait for my first craft show of the year, that always brings in a bit of spending money for the cruise. :) Matter-of-fact I'm off to create another piece now!

Fran, I can't imagine a wedding every month! I've only done a couple in the past year.

Like so many others I save my change and have done that for years prior to discovering cruises. And, yes, I've been done to break paper money just to have change! :p

A year ago one of the DDs gave me a ceramic jar she found at a yard sale that says "Cruise Fund." That's where I put paper money, and when that DD is here she throws in some money as well. I counted it a couple of weeks ago, and it has about $400 US in it right now.

The two cruises we have planned are paid for so this will be excursion and on board expenses money.

Archived