Anyone bring their camcorders onto port? HOW??

nicki1pt

We're doing an excursion at each port (snorkelling and river tubing-maybe) and I'm trying to figure out how to bring my mini-dv camcorder and/or digital camera. I could leave the camera on board (and just bring a disposable), but would love to capture video on the ports.

What does everyone else do? After excursions can you go back to the ship and get your stuff. I don't know how this works with tendering (Caymans & Ocho Rios).

Are there waterproof bags to put them in? It's just me and my daughter travelling.

Thanks!

I hate having this problem to. My wife likes me to take the video camera also. When I don't take it, I'm pretty much stress free. Can't lose it, have it stolen, doesn't get wet etc....

But then sometimes I regret not having it. You just have to accept that there is no 100% way to protect it from all these things.

Since the video camera is small we have packed it in a small back pack for storage while in port. So while snorkeling may not be ideal for a video camera (maybe the snorkeling place provides lockers?), you could take a camera tubing, maybe. If the river appears some what calm you could slide a large zip lock bag over the camera and just leave the lens exposed.

Sometimes I cut a lens sized hole in the bottom of the bag and slip my hand into the open side of the bag to operate it. Maybe overkill but when I filmed a tube ride at Disney World it came in handy when a wall of water came over me. The camera stayed mostly dry, a little water on the lens.

If you are tendering it does run back and forth at set times so you could go back and get your camera after snorkeling. A bit of a pain but it is better then leaving the camera in a unsecured area.

I started out cruising with a video recorder. First cruise in 91 I hauled a VHS recorder..... remember how big those were ?? :eek: Then I got a digital camcorder for a few trips... but found we just were not watching them. I then got a digital camera and hauled both. Still found we tended to view the pictures instead of the video. So.... now I just take the digital camera.....

It is a lot easier now not taking the camcorder because I need to tote it as a carryon, and with the computer I take, it just seems to not be worth taking it.

DS17 took his mini tape camcorder to Ocho Rios . I put it on a lanyard for extra security and he had a fanny pack for it. He hooked it in the fanny pack on the zipline got some great film. Also, just an FYI you dock at pier in Jamaica no tender.

For my digital camera I purchased a Pentax W20, which you can actually take in the water and submerse up to 5 feet (perfect for snorkeling and tubing)

I have it and my smaller digital camcorder in the same bag.

I plan on taking the camcorder to Jamaice where we will do the zip line.

In Grand Caymen I will take just my camera since we will be in the water with the stingrays and snorkeling.

In Cozumel that one is hard because we are going to parasail and then play in the water, not sure what to do there, I want to take both.....I am a newbie so not sure if in Cozumel if they tender or dock there.

these are just my thoughts. hope everyone is having a great day!!!

Archived