Low Carb

sls

Has anyone tried anything low carb from the menu? Is it just the steak and chicken without any sauces?

I'm trying to stick with my eating plan but pizza is usually my downfall.

sls

I tried to order the low-carb meal my first night in the dining room. It was one of the normal menu choices with something else in place of the potato. Unfortunately, my waiter brought me the dish with the potato and there started the downfall of my low-carb diet for the duration of the cruise. I'm back on the wagon, now.

Barb

Yeah, put those potatoes on my plate and I'm going eat it. The rolls are a big weakness and the waitstaff zeros right in on it and comes back and back and back.

sls

from Carnival's web site:

Sample low carb appetizer selections include: Vine Ripe Beefsteak Tomatoes and Fresh Buffalo Mozzarella -- Marinated with Basil Leaves and Virgin Olive Oil -- 3 grams of carbs; Hickory Smoked Alaskan Salmon -- Garnished with Purple Onion Rings, Fresh Dill and Baby Capers -- 2 grams of carbs; Escargots Bourguignonne -- Burgundy Snails in Garlic Butter with an Infusion of Chablis and Pernod -- 5 grams of carbs; Gravlaks -- Thinly Sliced Norwegian Fjord Salmon Cured with Dill and Brandy Presented with a Sour Cream Mustard Sauce -- 5 grams of carbs

Sample low carb entree selections include: Filet Mignon with Gorgonzola Butter -- Aged Center-Cut Beef Tenderloin, Grilled to Perfection with Green Beans -- 8 grams of carbs; Pepper-Seared Supreme of Young Long Island Duckling -- Marsala Infused Purple Onion Confit, Steamed Bok Choy and Sauteed Spinach -- 6 grams of carbs; Tender Roasted Prime Rib of American Beef au Jus, Cooked to Perfection -- Broccoli Roses and Grilled Tomato -- 4 grams of carbs; Jerked Pork Loin -- Slowly Roasted Center Cut Pork Loin, Marinated in Island Spices and Herbs Sauteed Savoy Cabbage with Bacon -- 6 grams of carbs.

Full thread here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=16621

My DW and I also favour a low carb diet but succumb to tastie treats like pizza. We have tried with great success a suppliment to block carbs from being absorbed. Make sure you purchase the carb blocker that has 'Phase 2' as the active ingredient. It seems to work as you can indulge in eating carbs without guilt. In Canada you can purchase them just about anywhere from health food stores to most grocery stores.

That suppliment ?does it have a name? Can you get it in stores like GNC? I would really like to try something like that. Have been doing South Beach for a year now and go off every now and then (PIZZA).

I hate to rain on your parade But carb blockers DO NOT WORK.

some things work in a test tube but not in your body.

Save your money and Just splurge while you are on the cruise.

peace

wwonka

My DW and I also favour a low carb diet but succumb to tastie treats like pizza. We have tried with great success a suppliment to block carbs from being absorbed. Make sure you purchase the carb blocker that has 'Phase 2' as the active ingredient. It seems to work as you can indulge in eating carbs without guilt. In Canada you can purchase them just about anywhere from health food stores to most grocery stores.

I've been on a low carb diet for 6 months now (lost 30lbs) and have been on 2 cruises during this time.. When I go on a cruise, I switch to a seefood diet. See food, eat it! ! Seriously, I don't diet on vacation, including cruises and never gain that much, that I can't lose it again in a couple weeks... Bombero

Every day for at least 20 minutes raise your heartrate and breathing rate to 80% of your maximum heart rate (220 minus your age times 80%). This builds the most important muscle of all, the HEART. (stair-climber, treadmill, cycling)

Every day for at least 20 minutes weight-train. Not necessarily big bulging muscles. Just improve your core strength. Muscle tissue being 3 times as dense as fat tissue, you'll even look thinner at the same weight. Muscle tissue burns calories nearly 4 times faster than fat tissue. (Yes, even when you're sleeping) :)

Then eat whatever you want, although you'll find you'll crave PROTEIN and drinks gallons of WATER. :)

Sorry . . . . . . . . I hate sermons too. But fad diets always get me off. :D

Unfortunately low carb isn't a fad for me. If I open a box of triscuits I'll eat the whole box. Give me a loaf of crusty French bread and it's totally gone. Protein seems to kill my appetite though. I like the portion size of the food in the diningroom on cruises and getting one piece of pizza at a time. Just have to say no when they bring the rolls around.

I did get a treadmill and am walking for 60 minutes every other day. Trying to do upper body exercises with free weights to get some strength going to haul that luggage when I cruise. When we cruise we take the stairs everwhere and start every morning with a 30 minute walk on the track.

sls

I, too, must keep to a low-carb eating plan. When I go off of it, I gain weight quite quickly - even if I stick to a low-fat plan with the carbs.

I try to keep any indulgences - like that slice of pizza or a dessert - to a minimum - both in quantity and in number of occurences. It's tough when cruising b/c it's all out there in plain sight, and therefore, quite tempting.

However, I know that if I gain a few pounds on a cruise (or on any other vacation), I can take them back off quickly by cutting way back on carbs for a week.

Archived