hotels next to brooklyn port

redcruzer

The area has no hotels right next to the terminal, and none in any kind of walking distance!

Hello Everyone!

If there are no hotels next to the Cruise Terminal, does anyone know where would be the closest place to stay, that are as the OP asked, decent AND reputable??

Also, does it make any difference if you fly into LaGuardia or JFK Airport as far as location for said hotels?

Thanks in advance...:)

I'm sailing on Princess in September and have booked the Brooklyn Marriott. It's kind of expensive but a little bit cheaper than some of the Manhattan hotels I looked at. Not by much though. In my search, I didn't find too many hotels in Brooklyn that were close to the cruise terminal. There is a Holiday Inn Express but we thought we would try the Mariott.

And not sure which airport is best, but we are flying into LaGuardia.

I'm sailing on Princess in September and have booked the Brooklyn Marriott. It's kind of expensive but a little bit cheaper than some of the Manhattan hotels I looked at. Not by much though. In my search, I didn't find too many hotels in Brooklyn that were close to the cruise terminal. There is a Holiday Inn Express but we thought we would try the Mariott.

And not sure which airport is best, but we are flying into LaGuardia.

Hi Valerie,

Thanks so much for the advice & information. Never having sailed out of NYC, we are totally unfamiliar with the locale, so we appreciate the information. I have a Marriott Rewards' card, so I will try to accumulate as many points as possible :D !!

Do you have transfers with Princess or are you doing your own transportation to the pier? I realize that NOTHING is cheap in NYC but was curious if you had researched cab costs, etc.

I am trying to coordinate this to coincide with our 30th anniversary so am trying to keep everything 'hush-hush' & away from DH for as long as possible!!

I didn't know if one of the airports (either JFK or LaGuardia) was closer the the hotel we would be using or not. I've flown into both previously, but only as a lay-over stop for connecting flights - never have stayed in NYC.

To what ports are you cruising? I hope you will have a beautiful & memorable sail!!

Thanks again - hope to hear back from you!

Happy Cruising! :)

Nancy

JFK or LGA are fine depending on which fare is cheaper.

A Cab from LGA to the Brooklyn Cruise terminal should run under $35.00 per cab and take without traffic 20 minutes or so.

BQE to Atlantic Avenue make a left at the end of the exit and then the first right(these are different directions than you will get from the website)

Have the directions with you as many cab drivers don't know how to get there.

JFK should take a little longer depending on traffic and will cost more as well depending how the cab driver goes its will run $45-$60.00

three ways

1. Via the Van wyck to LIE to BQE following directions above most direct( by highway) without traffic about $50.00

2. Belt Parkway to Gowanus expressway to Hamilton Ave exit fastest without traffic but longest in mileage about $60.00 45 minutes

3. Belt Parkway to N COnduit Ave to Atlantic Avenue to its end make the left and then the first right. Most direct least expensive way about $45.00

but takes an hour(even during rush hour) its on the street with lights.

Personally from JFK I always use a car service as you get a fixed rate and don't worry about which way to go. I use Arecibo car service least expensive and knows the area. 1718 783 6465 I think

You don't say when you are coming as their are a number of hotels on the cusp of opening in the area. Also there are B & B's that are less expensive than the Marriott.

The Brooklyn Motor Inn is right next to the pier but I wouldn't stay there except in an emergency---not that I have been there. You can look at all of these by doing a google search.

Since I have taken cabs overseas thses prices are not expensive by those standards at all.

"You don't say when you are coming as their are a number of hotels on the cusp of opening in the area. Also there are B & B's that are less expensive than the Marriott."

Thanks for the great information, smeyer418!! I will certainly print out the directions in case we do have to use the taxi services. We will be cruising in spring of 2008, so hopefully some of those new hotels will be open by then. Please let me know what the new hotels are so I can do a google-search!

The car service, however, sounds like a great idea and much more practical than a taxi. Is it available from either airport or just from JFK? Do you have to reserve it in advance, or just call when we arrive?

Thanks again for being so very helpful!!:D

Nancy

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=540206

here is one. There will be a new one opening on Butler street within 2 months. There is another hotel under construction at the corner of Atlantic and Smith Street but I am not sure when it will be completed.

Some car services you call in advace some you call when you get there. Carmel which has a website you make in advance--there are coupons on line and they are available from anywhere including airports...

BTW this has been discussed many times if you do a search you will find lts of info on the Brooklyn terminal and then be able to ask more directed questions.

Nancy,

My sister and I are doing a Canada/New England cruise one way from New York to Quebec City. First cruise on Princess. We've been to Manhattan a couple of times. Although they've always been short stays. That's another reason we opted to not stay in Manhattan. We're arriving a few days before the cruise though and will probably still go into Manhattan but we won't feel the pressure to run around and see all the sights. We've seen most of the biggies. We've not seen any of Brooklyn. And the Marriott appears to be an easy commute into Manhattan.

I haven't decided on transportation yet. We'll probably just get a cab to the hotel but am thinking of a car service to the pier. Although the car service from the LGA is sounding good too. I figured at least for now I've made the decision on the hotel in Manhattan. Which is more than I can say on the Quebec City end. I had to stop looking at NYC hotels as there were just too many choices and we just decided to stay with the Mariott.

Hope you have good luck in your quest for hotels and have a wonderful cruise!

Nancy,

My sister and I are doing a Canada/New England cruise one way from New York to Quebec City. First cruise on Princess. We've been to Manhattan a couple of times. Although they've always been short stays. That's another reason we opted to not stay in Manhattan. We're arriving a few days before the cruise though and will probably still go into Manhattan but we won't feel the pressure to run around and see all the sights. We've seen most of the biggies. We've not seen any of Brooklyn. And the Marriott appears to be an easy commute into Manhattan.

I haven't decided on transportation yet. We'll probably just get a cab to the hotel but am thinking of a car service to the pier. Although the car service from the LGA is sounding good too. I figured at least for now I've made the decision on the hotel in Manhattan. Which is more than I can say on the Quebec City end. I had to stop looking at NYC hotels as there were just too many choices and we just decided to stay with the Mariott.

Hope you have good luck in your quest for hotels and have a wonderful cruise!

Valerie,

I will be anxious to hear how you enjoyed your cruise. We will be taking a 7-day roundtrip from NYC stopping at Newport, RI, Boston, MA, Bar Harbor, ME, St. John, NB & Halifax NS. Got a really great price on a mini on the CB and had to grab it. We'll probably go back for the longer cruise that you will be taking at a later date, but thought this would be a nice anniversary surprise for DH.

The Marriott sounds fine - we stay with them when we can and have never been disappointed. Will be interested to see the other places that will be opening up to see who they are & what price range. I would rather pay the $$ for accomodations that I know will not disappoint than take a chance and wonder, "What the $#** was I thinking?"

Thanks so much for all your help & happy cruisng!:)

Nancy

Hi --

I just came across this post by chance. I live in Park Slope, Brooklyn, which is a neighborhood right near the port.

The port is in a not-so-desirable part of Brooklyn. I wouldn't necessarily suggest staying there.

For hotels, I would recommend either the Holiday Inn Express in Park Slope at:

http://www.expressbrooklyn.com/

It's not exactly in the most beatiful location, but it's a 5- to 10-minute cab ride to the pier. (your concierge/front deskperson can call a car service; it shouldn't cost more than $7. when calling for car services, BE SURE TO ASK FOR A QUOTE BEFORE YOU GET IN THE CAR. if the cab is charging more than $7 or so, call a new car service.)

or the Marriott in Downtown Brooklyn at:

http://marriott.com/hotels/travel/nycbk-new-york-marriott-at-the-brooklyn-bridge/

This hotel will be more expensive than the Holiday Inn Express and it's a little further from the Red Hook port.

The post-er who says you can stay at B&Bs throughout areas of Brooklyn is entirely true. I would recommend several B&Bs in the Park Slope section of Brooklyn, which is a nice residential part of Brooklyn next to Prospect Park. You can Google B&Bs in Park Slope (you can also plug in the zip code, which is 11215) and come up with many results. I have had family stay at the Park at Sixth at:

http://www.parkat6.com/

It's very nice but not particularly cheap.

Good luck, and enjoy Brooklyn!

Archived