PG underwater walk

stew300

While we look forward to great snorkeling an underwater walk is also offered. It would be a new experience but is it worthwhile?

If you have tried this was it while at Bora Bora or Moorea?

Hi Stew,

I have not done the walk in FP but have done an underwater walk in Bermuda. I have to say it was well worth it and a highlight of our several cruises there.

We went to the dive site where we were fitted with wetsuits, the water was not cold but the dive master said that you can lose body heat fairly rapidly when underwater and he did want us to become uncomfortable.

In addition to the wetsuit we had weight belts on. they lower the helmet over you head and you walk along the bottom with the guide who shows you various wild life and corals and such. The helmet has air pumped into it so your head stays dry. I kept my glasses on and see just fine. The helmet is not heavy in the water at all. He also brought food to attract fish and we were able to "pet" some of them. He also took pictures.

At the time I did not swim but felt totally secure. We went down in small groups but there were only 8 folks on the tour total.

There were only two downsides that I can think of. First the air bubbling is very loud and I didn't expect that. I got used to it fairly quickly. Second if you do not like enclosed spaces you might feel a little restricted even while the helmet has a large window.

My dh and I were just talking about this yesterday and if we should do it again. I can only imagine that it would be %100 times better in FP since the water is much, much warmer, and there is more marine life.

I hope we have time for it.

Hope this helps some.

Caroline

We did this in Moorea. There was no wetsuit involved only a helmet. It was great. Small groups of 5 went down with the guide and a photographer and we walked on the bottom of the lagoon. It did take some practice walking and clearing your ears but the guide gave very good instructions and everyone had a very enjoyable experience. They had food to attract the fish and sting rays. The sting rays were amazing. One sat on my feet like a velvet blanket. I recommend it.

I did it in Bora Bora. We boarded a small boat - maybe 10 passengers and we had an option of a shorty wetsuit. They put the helmet on, you climb down a boat ladder and then from the bottom you have a short distance to the bottom of the ocean. We brought our own underwater camera.

Several of the people on our boat decided not to go down below - my husband being one of them. I got to take his time below. The divemaster had to get weights for me to keep me down. I would without a doubt do that excursion again without any hesitation. It's so beautiful down there. It made me want to consider getting a dive certification for another time!

Archived