Need definite yes or no answer please...!

ERNLYN

I have to receive a very important 20-30 minute phone call while onboard the POA at 9:15 eastern time, which will be 3:15am Kauai time. Needless to say this would be quite expensive using the ship's rate......Can anyone verify if I can receive the call from the east coast to my cell phone while on the ship....???

Or does anyone have an alternate solution?

You can only get a signal when you are close to the islands. At 3:15am I do not know if you will be close enough to get the call...especially if you are smack in between Oahu and Kauai. There are bits of Oahu where my signal goes out (north shore).

Sorry but the answer is maybe as far as I know.

Hi SueBee,

We will actually be overnighting at Kauai on Monday evening the 16th, my call will be made while at port at 3:15am Kauai time Tuesday morning....

What do you think now???

SueBee,

I have Sprint and I believe my Cell Phone worked in Kauai and at the dock. That was about 2 years ago but I thought it worked. I don't want you to miss your call because of me but I would recommend you check with your Cell Phone provider and verify they have service there. ONE thing you MUST remember and that is go UP on Deck for your call. Cell phones do not work well inside a ship with all that steel.

Good Luck

Hum I just noticed my ship tenders into Kauai and I not that wild about that but last time I was on NCL and I think we docked. One word of caution!! When I was on the Wind we docked in Kauai but I remember hearing the crew say the Star which is a lot bigger was not able to dock the day before because of high winds. The area they go through to dock in Kauai is not that large. The good news is the POA is not as big as the Star so hopefully there will be no problem. Just laying that out as a precaution and really that could happen on any port.

Hi

We were on the Star and docked at Kauai so it would take an act of nature (really high winds, storm) to not dock....I have only heard a couple times last winter of ships not being able to go into port....and those were unusually large storms.

As for the call, under those circumstances, I believe you will get a signal in port.

I would certainly have a backup plan (arrange for the ship-call) if something were to come up....but I was able to get a signal in every port when we were on the Star.

I would call your provider to see what they have to say, but I would think there should be "no problem." I don't have that great of a phone, as it loses signal quicker than my friends' phones quite often, but I was able to talk quite well inside the Star in the Grand Atrium area, making calls to rearrange car rentals, while docked in Honolulu.

Have a back up plan though...things do go wrong.

Emi

I would say, yes, you shouldn't have any problems picking up a signal while in port in Nawiliwili, Kauai. Having said that, if it's really important, having a back up plan with a ship phone call if the call to your cell phone doesn't got through after several tries might be a good thing as well.

Spleen

Aloha,

Thanks to all of you for all your help over the past several months...!!!! We are leaving this Friday to sail on the POA Sunday the 15th..!!! Everytime I see a Hawiian face I will think of SueBee, Spleen, SweetEmi, Bob & Sandy, and many others who serve as ambassadors to their home on the islands....

Mahalo.

The Lyons/Wetters

Spleen, you are bad!!! LOL...!!!! But I wrote it down just in case...Ha,Ha.Ha.

Thank you, I will post a review, but I'm sure it will not top those who have gone before me....

Mahalo,

Ernie

Hope that helps... But if you are in port, you can leave the ship and go into town to receive the call. Try finding out in advance (earlier in the day) where your phone works. IF not on the ship, you can always go ashore for better reception.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived