Do we really need a licensed guide in Florence?

Hi Everyone,

We are on DCL's 070707 Med cruise and will stop in La Spezia, then want to tour Pisa & Florence. We have received different quotes from a few private tours and have a question - do we really need a private/licensed guide to take us through the museums in Florence? We like the idea of their only being 7 of us with an english speaking driver, who will tell us the history and describe the sights as we tour/drive with them, but will we really be missing something, if we do not go through the museums with a private licensed guide?

Your thoughts and opinions would be really appreciated.

Also - all of the tour companies suggest only stopping to view the Tower of Pisa - not spend the time to climb it. What do you folks think?

Thank you,

Sherri

will we really be missing something, if we do not go through the museums with a private licensed guide?

You certainly do not need one. Many people go to Florence even totally on their own, without a driver or guide.

It might be helpful to have one if you schedule allows for short visits in the museum only as he can lead you to a few of the most important pieces. Depending on your style you might prefer a guidebook, an audio guide or to stroll around.

Also - all of the tour companies suggest only stopping to view the Tower of Pisa - not spend the time to climb it. What do you folks think?

IMHO the time is better spent in Florence. The Campo dei Miracoli in Pisa with the tower and other beautiful buildings is worth a whole day but to make the dertour just to view the tower like you have seen it many times on photos or in films is a waste of your precious time. Just enjoy more of Florence.

The value of the "licensed guide" is that they pay about $650 euros per year for the sticker that allows them to drive on the streets, through the crowds by Ponte Vecchio and the Acadamia, and I mean "through the crowds"... we were bumping people with our mirrors. People on bus tours have to walk from bus parking which eats up some valuable time. Our driver drove us right up to shopping, lunch, the Acadamia, and dropped us off.

Yes , do see the Tower of Piza, take the needed pictures, but if you skip climbing up it and don't spend more than an hour, you will still have a decent amount of time in Florence... You could spend weeks in Florence, so a shorter stay in Florence would not change what you can see by too much...

We spent 3 days in Florence last year. We read lots about it in advance and booked the Uffizzi and Academia before we left. We also used the hop-on hop off bus. The Uffizzi give you an audio guide which is very good. The centre of the city is very easy to walk round and everthything is fairly near each other. I would not fancy driving round in a car!

We had a driver/guide and did get to Pisa very early and were able to climb the tower. Last year on this board there was the great "TO CLIMB OR NOT TO CLIMB" debate. Climbing the tower and taking the silly pictures took about an hour--as I said our timing was just right to run, get tickets and go right up the tower. We then had lots of time to go to Florence, see David and see some of the city. I loved climbing the tower!!!! I'm not sure that I would have been able to see that much more of Florence in an hour--as it is you will only touch the surface of that great city in a day.

There might be, but the museum is very small, with David the main attraction.

Our guide had prebooked timed tickets for us, and I think we had about 30 min before meeting him outside to go to the Duomo area.

You can easily spend the entire time just looking at the David. I know you've seen pictures, and probably will stop at the overlook where there is a copy, but the real thing is amazing.

There might be, but the museum is very small, with David the main attraction.

Our guide had prebooked timed tickets for us, and I think we had about 30 min before meeting him outside to go to the Duomo area.

You can easily spend the entire time just looking at the David. I know you've seen pictures, and probably will stop at the overlook where there is a copy, but the real thing is amazing.

I know, I have seen him before, but it was over 20 years ago.

Especially with the limited time that you have in Florence, you will get much more out of the trip and see it more efficiently with a licensed guide. Also keep in mind that the drivers vary considerably in their commentary ability from excellent to virtually nonexistent.

Les

From my own inquiries it seems like it's not at all common to find a licensed guide who is also able to drive you to and from either Florence and Rome. You are more likely to find a driver/guide and then contract a licensed guide (at additional cost) for once you reach town. The driver/guide company you hire will undoubtedly be able to do this for you.

Driver/guides can get you in close too, but are only allowed to give you commentary about the sights you're seeing whilst on the van. Though this also means that if you don't want to be guided through a city by the locally licensed guide your total cost for the day will be less.

Archived