Top Ten French Quarter Restaurants

jgmpuma

...that most people have never heard of.

My wife and I are always looking for good, inexpensive food. We have pretty adventurous tastes, so I can’t guarantee that some of these places would be to everyone’s liking, but all are worth your consideration. Nothing really weird, just a little different. Friendly staff, and generous portions.

All of them are ethnic, and reflect New Orleans’ ethnic diversity. Besides being good, the food served is not particularly fattening. They are especially good lunch choices. Some are not open for dinner. Some do not serve alcohol, either because of alcohol permit limitations or because of the proprietor’s religious beliefs. At those, you can bring your own. Most do not charge corkage.

Some are a little on the funky side, but I have checked their inspection scores with the State Health Department, and all received good marks.

All are either in the French Quarter or in the Faubourg Marigny, just across Esplanade Avenue from the French Quarter. One is in the Central Business District. The streets in the Marigny can be confusing. They are not on a grid like the French Quarter. Use a map or ask for directions.

These are not rankings, just recommendations based on personal experience and the experience of people whose tastes are similar to ours.

El Gato Negro, 81 French Market Place. Spanish. Breakfast and lunch only. They have a terrific house salad for $4.95. Great chicken mole. Top shelf Tequila.

Tomatilla’s, 437 Esplanade Avenue. Spanish. Patio dining, and live music some evenings. Great tortilla soup.

Country Flame, 620 Iberville. Spanish. The Ropa Vieja is very good.

Jazz Tacos, 307 Exchange Alley. Spanish.

Liborio, 321 Magazine Street, Central Business District. Spanish. Good lunch specials. Great paella if they have it.

I use the term “Spanish” loosely. Even before Katrina, New Orleans had a large Hispanic population, mainly Central Americans. Since Katrina, many Mexicans have come here to work. Like much of New Orleans’ cuisine, all of these places are an amalgamation of different Hispanic influences. Country Flame and Liborio are Cuban. Jazz Tacos is Honduran. ElGato Negro and Tomatilla’s are sort of Tex-Mex.

Salt N’ Pepper, 210 North Peters (but the entrance is around the corner on Iberville Street). A waiter on the Conquest told us about this place. It is Pakistani/Hallal. No alcohol. They sell a lot of pizza to tourists, but the Middle Eastern dishes are the best. Lots of cab drivers eat there.

Bennechin, 1212 Royal Street. African. No alcohol. They have a whole page of lunch specials for under $7. I’m not a vegetarian, but most of the dishes we get are meatless.

Coop’s Place, 1109 Decatur. More a bar than a restaurant. It used to be very smokey, but all restaurants in New Orleans are now smoke-free. Excellent gumbo. Full of local characters. Open late.

Adolfo’s, 611 Frenchmen Street, Faubourg Marigny. Italian. On the second floor, above The Apple Barrel bar. Not typical Italian: more the Creole-Italian cuisine often seen in New Orleans.

Mona’s Café, 504 Frenchmen Street, Faubourg Marigny. Middle Eastern. No alcohol. They have a small grocery on the side with great spices, if you would like to try your hand at this type of cooking.

Sukho Thai, 1913 Royal Street, Faubourg Margny. Thai. No alcohol. Small corkage fee.

• 1 month later...

Can I add another one? I recently ate there. Usually just stopped and got a drink on my way into the Quarter. Pontalba's at Jackson Square. They have the best pasta jambalaya and crawfish pie I've ever eaten!

If you are looking to find what's open or want to know if an old Favortie is back in business check http://www.nomenu.com

The local food critic post this website and he lets you know what has open since the storm etc.

We now have more resturants open in the city than pre-Katrina!

We will be back!

• 1 year later...

Adding another place:

Jager Haus, in the 800 block of Conti Street. German, as you might guess. We have had lunch there twice, and it is excellent. A very interesting breakfast menu, although we haven't tried that yet.

Archived