Cabin above Perfumery & Allergies

ne3180

• 2 weeks later...

Sympathies from a fellow sufferer! I was on a different ship, same location and equally worried. It was fine. Much more danger from the folks across the hall and you can't plan for those.

I'm assuming you are an experienced masked traveler and have your R95 3M 8247 - one for wear and one for spare in case it fills up.

Also your albuterol inhaler. I went down in the stairwell of a Princess ship when an outside door opened as I was walking by. Only the inhaler kept me alive and it was really close. Don't go anywhere without it.

It's the irony of travel by ship - the ocean air is the best for us, but the diesel and perfumes are the worst.:rolleyes:

Thank-you. I didn't think the perfume smell would come through but....

My symptoms start with my nose, then quickly effect my lungs. Yes I refilled my albuterol so I have an extra inhaler. This is our first cruise and I wasn't even thinking about diesel fumes. They made me really sick stuck in traffic on a bus in London.

The albuterol will save you when an attack starts, but a R95 mask will stop the attack from happening in the first place. Stops the migraines and earaches too... at least the ones that are chemically induced, "knife in the ear and twisting" and the "pulling one eye out of the head" feelings.

Don't waste your money on any P95 or N95 masks. The ones that work are 3M R95 rated #8247. You can pick up a couple at Home Depot for @$5.00 ea. You'll need to toss them when they get saturated. There are two carbon layers in this mask, don't try anything less.

I wear mine around my wrist if I'm going through the halls. I just cup it in my hand and hold it to my face in a short term dangerous situation. In a problem area - London, Paris, New York - I strap it on my face and don't worry about the stares. Alive and weird is better than dead and average.:D

Archived