Causual night - Nice T-shirt and jeans alright?

misery1001

Is nice t-shirt good enough for RCCL's causal night? I mean nice as in a spaghetti strap or sport sleeveless shirt (no collar) for me and a non-advertising t-shirt for my bf. Or is that not "nice" in your standard? Will I be able to get in the dining room without looking out of place?

I predict you will get two classes of replies:

1) no, jeans shouldn't be worn in the formal dining room

2) hey, it's your vacation, wear whatever you want!

This is what RCCL says on their website:

Q: What are the dress codes onboard?

A: There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

No she didn't. But can I wear them?

Maybe Carnival will have a gardening theme night and we can sport this attire!

Jeans can be dressed up to a point, but to me they just aren't appropriate for fine dining. JMHO :)

I agree. I think Blueherons' description of what she wore (white jeans, stilettos, flowy top) is the right idea for those who want to wear jeans yet look elegantly appropriate. She's one of the classiest ladies in this bunch, IMHO.

doesn't matter what i would like you wear, but if they will seat you while you are in jeans? from what i have heard, that will depend on the hostess that night. some will seat you, some won't.

i would say a t-shirt..no. some type of golf shirt or pull-over would be better. some better restaurants require a collar shirt. my hubby will not wear a button shirt, but he has some nice golf shirts with cool designs, that's as formal as he will get.

There is a big misconception in differentiating casual vs. informal. For the record, jeans are considered informal wear not casual. Examples:

(1)

Casual Attire

Women

· Khaki, corduroy, twill or cotton pants or skirts, neatly pressed

· Sweaters, twinsets, cardigans, polo/knit shirts

· Solid colors work better than bright patterns

Men

· Khaki, gabardine or cotton pants, neatly pressed

· Cotton long-sleeved button-down shirts, pressed, polo shirts or knit shirts with a collar

· Sweaters

· Leather shoes and belt

(2)

"Smart casual" is a more relaxed, yet professional look. Pressed

pants, a collared shirt, and clean, matching accessories. A sport coat

will add a touch of class to a casual look. Avoid jeans, sneakers and

T-shirts.

(3)

The style: Business casual has come to take on a variety of meanings -- most of which are misconceptions. Society has constructed this term to mean "anything other than a suit and tie." That's why it's not poor Larry's fault when he shows up to his meeting with the execs in jeans and a concert T.

So, what does "business casual" actually mean? Think of it this way: no jeans, no ties. Anything in between this spectrum is acceptable -- provided the outfit is assembled properly. From khakis and slacks to dress shirts and sweaters, you should be able to build enough of a varied wardrobe that'll impress the whole business casual boardroom.

Some, like the OP, ask a legitimate question due to not understanding what the difference. Others may take it to the extreme by interpreting their own version of the rules.

The bottom line is that people will end up wearing whatever they feel like wearing.

There is a big misconception in differentiating casual vs. informal. For the record, jeans are considered informal wear not casual. Examples:

(1)

Casual Attire

Women

· Khaki, corduroy, twill or cotton pants or skirts, neatly pressed

· Sweaters, twinsets, cardigans, polo/knit shirts

· Solid colors work better than bright patterns

Men

· Khaki, gabardine or cotton pants, neatly pressed

· Cotton long-sleeved button-down shirts, pressed, polo shirts or knit shirts with a collar

· Sweaters

· Leather shoes and belt

(2)

"Smart casual" is a more relaxed, yet professional look. Pressed

pants, a collared shirt, and clean, matching accessories. A sport coat

will add a touch of class to a casual look. Avoid jeans, sneakers and

T-shirts.

(3)

The style: Business casual has come to take on a variety of meanings -- most of which are misconceptions. Society has constructed this term to mean "anything other than a suit and tie." That's why it's not poor Larry's fault when he shows up to his meeting with the execs in jeans and a concert T.

So, what does "business casual" actually mean? Think of it this way: no jeans, no ties. Anything in between this spectrum is acceptable -- provided the outfit is assembled properly. From khakis and slacks to dress shirts and sweaters, you should be able to build enough of a varied wardrobe that'll impress the whole business casual boardroom.

Some, like the OP, ask a legitimate question due to not understanding what the difference. Others may take it to the extreme by interpreting their own version of the rules.

The bottom line is that people will end up wearing whatever they feel like wearing.

I need to differ on your definition of jeans. Informal is deemed to be jacket and tie while casual requires collared shirt and slacks.

Jeans are work place attire pure and simple. Although it is quite obvious by the thousands of posts over the years that many many people prefer to wear work clothes to finer places than just to work. So if they stay on the lines that cater to work place clothing I see nothing wrong with jeans, t shirts, crocs, shorts and even sweat clothes on those lines. On the other lines that still have some modicum of civility, please make an attempt to live up to the dress codes. No one ever got into any problems by dressing better than required.

misery1001,

The jeans will be just fine as long as they are not old looking, t-shirt (I love t-shirts) but I woud not chance that one. Just have him wear a casual shirt button up or like a golf shirt would be just fine. Believe me you WILL see a lot of this! You will be fine in what you said and sandals woudl be fine also but not flip flops although I do wear my flip flops in the dining room for breakfast and lunch.:D

As far as what I wear when I am gardening in my rose garden and flower gardens I wear shorts and sometimes I;) am even barefooted. I don't wear jeans becasue shorts and work out pants allow me to move more freely. Geez get a grip and lighten up!

Maybe Carnival will have a gardening theme night and we can sport this attire!

I agree. I think Blueherons' description of what she wore (white jeans, stilettos, flowy top) is the right idea for those who want to wear jeans yet look elegantly appropriate. She's one of the classiest ladies in this bunch, IMHO.

Blue Herons what line did you say you had cruised? I do believe you told me Carnival or am I wrong?

Is nice t-shirt good enough for RCCL's causal night? I mean nice as in a spaghetti strap or sport sleeveless shirt (no collar) for me and a non-advertising t-shirt for my bf. Or is that not "nice" in your standard? Will I be able to get in the dining room without looking out of place?

When you say t-shirt with a spaghetti strap, do you mean like a tank-top? I have several tank-top style shirts (the ones that are more dressed up than like a Gap ribbed tank-top) that I wear in the dining hall with a nice pair of capris and some strappy heels. I would stay away from a plain t-shirt for the bf. On the casual nights my husband is in a golf shirt or a buttom down shirt although he insists on wearing them on the outside and he wears these with chinos or cargo pants from places like the Gap. (Yes, I pick out his clothes.) When I hear casual I tend to think Country Club style or Ralph Lauren. Most country clubs will not let you in wearing jeans or t-shirts. They will probably let you into the dining hall wearing what you asked about, it is just more a matter of how comfortable you will be if most people are dressed up more. Hope this helps and gives you a better visual.:)

As others have said, there are certainly differing opinions on this. I offer mine: Standard t-shirts are definitely not appropriate in the dining room -for either men OR women. A "spaghetti strap top" would be hard to call, just given that description. You can find lots of tops fitting that description in the lingerie dept of WalMart - or you can also find them in the evening wear section of Nordstroms. So, if it is a nice top, (silky, flowy, satin, etc.) then it would be fine. Jeans are casual wear, but not "cruise casual" wear. There is a difference. White jeans would look just fine, but you may find them a bit warm for a Caribbean cruise (assuming that is where you are headed). There are so many adorable summer skirts out there now...skirts are so comfy and easy to pair up with cute tops...maybe a good excuse to go shopping!! ;)

My residence is in Arizona and even most public, upscale golf courses in the Phoexnix/Scottsdale area have a dress code: no jeans at all, long or short. If this is the case, then the cruise ships aren't that far off in trying to maintain their decorum.

yikes.... seems like casual is more "formal" than I expected.... maybe I should hide in the buffet style restaurant for the whole trip.... I don't want to pack so many things......

Oh no, don't do that! :) I wouldn't want you to miss out on the dining room experience. It's not really as bad as it seems!

I generally am a shorts type of person, which aren't allowed in the dining rooms either. I've just tried to find ways to still be comfortable, stay within the dress code, and pack lightly.

Mix and match outfits can help lighten your luggage load. I'm planning on bringing tops that will go well with capris or skirts for the dining room but also look good with my shorts. For example, I would wear a nice shirt and shorts during the day and at dinner change into my capris. I don't know if you are comfortable with wearing something twice, but two or three "bottoms" can be paired up with different tops on different days.

yikes.... seems like casual is more "formal" than I expected.... maybe I should hide in the buffet style restaurant for the whole trip.... I don't want to pack so many things......

"Casual" is in no way close to "formal", it's just that "casual" attire, when on a cruise line, is simply a step or two up from casual dress at home.

You don't have to pack "so many things". Just bring a pair of pants that aren't jeans.

Exactly. ;)

Blue Herons what line did you say you had cruised? I do believe you told me Carnival or am I wrong?

Mom... I wanted to make sure you understood, as my original post has been "poofed" my "carnival" comment was in jest and a response to all those who deem some clothes "good enough" for Carnival and the lady who asked the original poster what she gardened in..... NOT a slam on Carnival.

If I read correctly I thought the OP said she was cruising on RC and on Casual night a lot of people young to old meaning baby to age I think the oldest I seen was probably 90 years old wear shorts, grant you not all wear shorts some wear dresses, skirts, long pants and a lot were seen in jeans.

I wore skorts and dress shorts and no one was turned away that I know of.

I would not chance it wearing a t-shirt for Dinner but a button down shirt and or a golf type shirt will work fine with a pair of dress shorts or jeans on casual night in the dining room.

To the OP please read more post about this believe me you will find several post about this exact issue. :p

Who wants to go to a nice dinner and look at people in flip flops, shorts and wife beater T-shirts. Not me!

Where in the world did you see someone post a question about that particular ensemble? Certainly not on this thread. The original poster asked a question about nice jeans and a T shirt. Enjoy your dinner.:o

Thank you for the lovely compliment!

As an adult, I have only cruised on Carnival.

Op, why don't you bring your jeans and tops. Hold off a couple nights and check out what everyone wears in the dining room on casual night. You will find out for yourself what is acceptable and what is not.;) You will be surprised that in reality jeans are acceptable by the cruiselines.

Don't go by what people on here feel.....

Archived