Carnival Liberty 4-14--4-22

maynovmom

A short and sweet review of a great week at three new ports. The FLL port was a breeze and so easy to get to from either hotels or the airport. First of all the Liberty was very clean and new. I saw more cleaning by crew than I have in the last few sailings I have been on. The food was wonderful-Didn't even bother with Harrys since the main dining room foods were so good. In Costa Maya we went to Cat's Meow and had a great day with Hugo on the beach. The food and drinks and company were terrific. In Costa Rica we went with Charlie Soto and okeydokeytours. We even stayed at the beach a little longer than the rest of our tourmates (I have never been in such warm water!) and he came back to get us and took us to a local supermarket to buy their coffee. (cheaper that way). Finally we took the very long Panama Canal tour through Carnival. We had a 2 hour detour due to a Panamanian protest but Carnival has that great guarantee that if you book a tour through then they will wait for you. There were 500 of us on the tour so they waited:) 2 hours. It was a long day but a once in a lifetime experience. The bus was air conditioned and I love being on the top of a ferry on a beautiful day so no complaints here. We had wonderful wait service in the dining room and in our cabin. The Sushi and fish and chips were good and there were no lounge chair fights on this cruise. The Carnival Liberty shows were good and I think Todd W. the cd is the most down to earth cd I have ever had. Sure he puts on an act her and there, as is his job, but he seems to really enjoy his position and made it a fun cruise. The last night's cruiser show was a riot. The movie screen is nice too especially if you want to watch a movie on the deck at night.

Just a few personal negatives-- I have cruised with Carnival 6 times in 6 years and always book about a year early. They did not give me my first choice for dinner seating and I feel it should be "first booked first served" so to speak. When I tried to change it from 5:45 to 6:15 they could only offer me 8:00 which was too late. It was rushed for us to get to dinner that early and I really think if you book early you should have priority in your seating choice. Also the hypnotist was lame and we just saw him either last year or the year before. Again I feel that Carnival should remember that past cruisers don't expect to see repeat performances year after year. I know it is just a personal statement from me but it is something that I think should be looked into.

Anyway any questions? It was a wonderful week weatherwise too and the extra day (it is an 8 day trip out of Fll) really was NICE! We met a lot of friendly people too. Looking forward to next year.

I didn't save the capers-sorry. If you have any questions I will try to remember. The formal nights on the 8 day cruise were on Sunday and Friday nights. I wore a gown the first night and a dress the second night. I saw more tuxes this time but you never know from week to week. There is a small hairdryer in the room (in a desk drawer) but I brought and used my own. Lack of plugs were an issue so a power strip is a good idea.

Hi,

Do either of you have any other details about the Panama Canal excursion?

What was the ferry like, was it crowded and what would be a good seat?

I will be there in 2 weeks on the Liberty.

Sounds like you both had a great time.

Thank you,

Do either of you have any other details about the Panama Canal excursion?

What was the ferry like, was it crowded and what would be a good seat?

2 hour bus ride to AND from the ship! Buses are a mixture of older/newer, depending on which you get on.. None had bathrooms that we heard of.. :(

Ferry is OK, but I actually had envisioned something a tad nicer. Two very small bathrooms on the aft of the 1st deck, and two more forward.. (very small)!! Always a line waiting to use the 'facilities'..

Cold Turkey sandwich and a muffin provided.. Chips were $1. each.. Beer was $2.00.. (not free as was previously reported).. But that was a good thing, with the bathroom situation (or lack thereof) on the bus!

Seating is just a mixture of fiberglass chairs positioned on deck.. If you get there early enough, there are some tables on the top deck under the canopy! It is certainly a HOT trip!

We enjoyed the Canal part of the excursion, but wonder why they don't use the Atlantic 'locks' instead of driving all the way to Panama City to go through the Pacific 'locks'! I'm sure there must be a reason, but the tour would be a lot nicer without the long drive!;)

Have a great time.. :)

We were lucky because our bus was air conditioned and the leader of the group was our bus guide too. Yes it was hot but I was warned about that by cc before. Like I said it was different but I am glad that I went and saw it. It isn't as spectacular as we had hoped but definitely a once in a lifetime (enough for me) experience. I heard a lot of good about the train ride too but we wanted to be on the ferry and I am a sun lover so it was fun for me. Have fun.

Archived