minimum age alcohol policy

fireflytx

I don't even want to mention how young I was when I first started drinking... ;)

Me neither. But, we did not bothr people. I would rather these parents whom insist there kids drink do it at home for a trial run a few times before turning them loose on us.

We allow our kids to drink a cooler once and a while at home, when we are there, and we have also bought them a few foo foo's on the ship. Our last cruise our girls were in watching kareoke with a bunch of other teens and someone sent my daughter a drink when the waiter brought it to her she asked him to bring it back to the buyer and tell him "thanks but im only 17" she did not know at the time but we were sitting near the back and saw this happen, later that night she came in our cabin and told us all about it. I told her good job and thanked her for being responsible.

She said the thing that will really "suck" is next cruise she will be old enough to drink legally at home but still wont be able to drink on the ship lol drinking age is 19 here.:D

We just cruised on NCL's Dream out of Houston and I was surprised that their alcohal policy was if you are 18-21 and your parents sign for you, you can drink on the ship. Does anyone know if this is NCL's policy all the time or just out of Houston?

This is NCL's policy for the fleet also the same policy applies to RCCL....Lots of Europeans to accomodate I guess

Why argue, just abide by the rules and then you won't have to worry about getting kicked off the ship or teaching your kids that the rules apply to everyone except them.

Why worry about it either way if it isn't you that is/is not breaking said rules. Oh I know, wait till they're legal to consume and then let them learn all about responsible use from their other inexperienced friends. :rolleyes:

Peeps so quick to espouse the rules. :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: Rules are broken every day (even by you CD). What's more important (IMO) is learning responsibility for ones actions and consideration for others. Having a drink under the supervisoin of ones responsible parent can be a valuable learning experience. Simply following the rules like a lemming isn't neccessarily the correct path for everyone, nor the most educational.

Why worry about it either way if it isn't you that is/is not breaking said rules.

Because, if its in my face, obnoxious and over the top I have no choice. If the kids would drink and just keep it to themselves it would not be an issue. We walked around the Pride recently and the conversation among many people was..."Look how drunk all of these teenagers are"...

Because, if its in my face, obnoxious and over the top I have no choice. If the kids would drink and just keep it to themselves it would not be an issue. We walked around the Pride recently and the conversation among many people was..."Look how drunk all of these teenagers are"...

But that wasn't the situation presented nor the question asked by the OP now was it? :rolleyes:

Typical overaction to a question asked. :eek:

We are traveling on the Pride after my girl's graduation.. they are 18... if we "order" the alcohol, ie: pina coladas, margaritas on board and give them to the girls, will we be given a hard time.

Only by the folks on the Cruise Critic Forum.

Otherwise... I'm sure you will be fine.:)

Hey everyone i just turned 20 and i never had a problem with anything on any carnival ship- actually 2 years ago for my graduation i went on a carnival cruise with my parents and they bought be occasional drinks- just for me to celebrate i guess-- its not like im gonna get hammered and be a drunken mess around my parents-- and i dont think any teen would do that-- the funny thing was that at the captains part where there are free cocktails they actually served me them and didnt card me at all and at the time i was 18. so i dont think anyone will have a problem especially if the parents buy it for there kid-- the waiters are too busy and have a lot more on there mind then worrying about u handing a drink to someone else. so i would say do it,(no1 will know except u) its a nice way to congradulate them and make them feel special.

Mike

We will buy our kids a drink if they ask for one. I don't think it's a big deal. they have had wine at dinner since they were young. Of course my children are 17, 20 & 23. So only one of them legally can drink. The other two, if they ask they can have it. But quite honestly they prefer soda. None of them are into getting drunk enough not to be coherant.

alcohol is one of those things that you need to acquire a taste for. Most kids are kept so far away from it that when they get a chance to do the forbidden thing, they land up sick or even worse like my neighbors daughter, in the hospital near death with alcohol poisoning. thankfully she is fine now, but she was in a coma all due to being at a friends house and drank down a bottle of vodka becaue they all thought it would be fun. And the rest of the kids were too afraid to call 911, especially the one who's house it was. All because her parents would find out they were drinking. So her best friend nearly died.

One of the kids finally called their mother and she called an ambulance. Much longer and the kid would've been dead.

So I think it's best to just explain to kids alcohol in moderation isn't going to hurt you, but not to sneak it and certainly never drink that much.

I too am taking my daughter on a Graduation cruise. I asked a very similar question on this board however I got very little reply not near as much as you. I do agree that this is a rule of Carnivals and not a Law and that we should obey the rules and the laws. However my daughter is not only graduating this year but is also in the Army National Guard she attended basic training last summer and will be attending AIT after we return from the cruise. What I intend to do is purchase one bottle of wine either to take on board with me or have delivered to the room from Carnival I haven't decided yet and we are going to have a glass each in our cabins to celebrate these mile stones. I did inform any other drinking on the cruise would be prohibited and she could have one drink on the beach in Cozumel.

Enjoy your cruise I know I will.

two words...

natalie holloway

why even put your underage daughter in the position to be anything but 100% aware of herself in foreign surroundings?

One unfortunate incident should not rule everyones lives. Besides, she wasn't with her parents anyway. :rolleyes:

One unfortunate incident should not rule everyones lives. Besides, she wasn't with her parents anyway. :rolleyes:

i seriously doubt that parents are going to keep an intently watchful eye over their older teenagers 24/7, drinking or not.

i seriously doubt that parents are going to keep an intently watchful eye over their older teenagers 24/7, drinking or not.

So should we keep a leash on all kids:p Unfortunate things happen everyday......you can't stop living because of them..

...and I'm sure everyone here NEVER speeds! That would be breaking the LAW of course.

An excellent point. We all did things our parents wouldn't have approved of (things much less trivial than speeding.) Being a parent means using your experience to guide the youngster, not using your experience as an excuse to let them do the same things.

My kids will be exposed to alcohol long before they reach the age of 21. It will happen anyway so I will attempt to do it and therefore control it. That would have to happen in a controlled environment and I wouldn't consider a cruise ship (or a Mexican port) to be a controlled environment for the first few drinking experiences. I'm not sure the OP ever stated if they already allow the kids to drink and wanted to know about the ship or this would be a new thing.

So should we keep a leash on all kids:p Unfortunate things happen everyday......you can't stop living because of them..

True enough, but it always helps to prepare the kids for the real world, thereby stacking the deck in your and their favor. Many times an individual's action have a great deal to do with how fortunate the are.

Using that reasoning, they should never let them out of bed, much less on a cruise. :rolleyes: Heck, they may drown in the bathtub. :eek:

Archived