QM2 Embarkation

Kindlychap

A few very simple questions. All relate to an embarkation at Southampton - not Brooklyn.

(1) Can I book a table in Todd English before boarding? If so, will they know which night is likely to be the one informal night?

(2) If I'm still in steerage, can I get lunch in the Britannia? Or am I resorting to Kings Court? Or the terminal (shudder).....

(3) If I'm in the Grills, peace and blessings be upon the Upgrade Fairy, do I get lunch in the appropriate Grill?

(4) Assuming I arrive around noonish, when (with priority boarding from Platinum) can I expect to be on board?

(5) Assuming I arrive around oneish, when (with priority boarding from Platinum) can I expect to be on board?

(6) When does the Maitre'D get to the Britannia for his grilling by the new passengers?

Thanks for anyone who can answer that lot. I know the score on QE2 but understand that things aren't identical!

Matthew

A few very simple questions. All relate to an embarkation at Southampton - not Brooklyn.

Of course you asked for non-Brooklyn infomation only, but when has anyone ever paid attention to the original question around here? Here is what I remember from Red Hook.

(1) Can I book a table in Todd English before boarding? No idea. If so, will they know which night is likely to be the one informal night? No, but they will tell you something anyway.

(2) If I'm still in steerage, can I get lunch in the Britannia? Yes. Or am I resorting to Kings Court? Or the terminal (shudder).....

(3) If I'm in the Grills, peace and blessings be upon the Upgrade Fairy, do I get lunch in the appropriate Grill? Yes.

(4) Assuming I arrive around noonish, when (with priority boarding from Platinum) can I expect to be on board? Noonish.

(5) Assuming I arrive around oneish, when (with priority boarding from Platinum) can I expect to be on board? Oneish.

(6) When does the Maitre'D get to the Britannia for his grilling by the new passengers? What?

Thanks for anyone who can answer that lot. I know the score on QE2 but understand that things aren't identical! Keep an open mind, they could be better.

Matthew

Bon voyage, Paul

Paul,

Thanks. By "grilling" I meant that bit they all worry about - the queue of unhappy punters!

As for the QM2/QE2 comparison - that was simply in terms of arrangements rather than quality. I have my little routines on QE2, but have none for QM2.

I'm not looking to find things better or worse - simply to enjoy a crossing. I know, given some of my posts in the past, that some may think I can't do that.

But on the other hand, I could have thirty years of happy crossings ahead of me if I do like QM2!

Matthew

Paul,

Thanks. By "grilling" I meant that bit they all worry about - the queue of unhappy punters!

As for the QM2/QE2 comparison - that was simply in terms of arrangements rather than quality. I have my little routines on QE2, but have none for QM2.

I'm not looking to find things better or worse - simply to enjoy a crossing. I know, given some of my posts in the past, that some may think I can't do that.

But on the other hand, I could have thirty years of happy crossings ahead of me if I do like QM2!

Matthew

I think you should use the same exact methods you've used on the QE2. Oh, wrt Todd English, I've read they've got a small table right there at the ship end of the gangplank where you can reserve right away. Being that you are Platinum and will be on soonish-est, you will likely get what you want.

I'm trying to figure out how we ever went on our first ship without the slightest hint from anyone. Didn't even know Cruise Critic existed until a couple of months after the fact. We had to figure it out for ourselves! :rolleyes: And as we did just fine then I can only imagine a trip with all this insider information will be the epitome of greatness.

So happy to be here with you all and am grateful for every bit of advice and friendship. I hope to sail with you someday, Matthew, preferably on QE2 but on big Mary, if that is how it sorts out.

I remain Sir Martin's humble servant,

Matthew...

This was Ft lauderdale..Ok, Paul is right...when have we ever been accurate on here??? We had horrific boarding problems..NO ONE..platinum or otherwise got on in less than 2 + hours of stqanding in line.

There was a Todd English table just before the gangway and they took reservations right there...very helpful. I understand this is not unusual at boarding.

Don't want to disagree with Paul but Britannia wasn't open for lunch and King's Court was VERY busy...and confusing, especially as it was the first day and lots of people were unfamiliar with the more confusing aspects of Kings Court...such as the size of it. That's one thing I was unprepared for...how HUGE it is and how easy it is to miss things. Should the upgrade fairy visit then I understand the grills are open for lunch, but if you're down there with the rest of us it's Kings Court. As much as you know I love that ship, I have to say it was not the most auspicious introduction to a fabulous ship.

I was told the Maitre'D would be in the Britannia during the afternoon but we didn't bother as we were satisfied with our table.

I do hope you'll enjoy her...different yes, but with a special charm all her own.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

Don't want to disagree with Paul but Britannia wasn't open for lunch and King's Court was VERY busy...and confusing, especially as it was the first day and lots of people were unfamiliar with the more confusing aspects of Kings Court...such as the size of it. That's one thing I was unprepared for...how HUGE it is and how easy it is to miss things.

That was my recollection also - iirc on the QE2 Mauretania/Caronia are also not open for lunch on embarkation day - don't know about the Grills. One of my best embarkations was to have lunch at the De Vere then showed up at CARONIA around 15.00 - straight onto the ship.....

Peter

That was my recollection also - iirc on the QE2 Mauretania/Caronia are also not open for lunch on embarkation day - don't know about the Grills.

I've always assumed that there weren't any restaurants, grill or otherwise, open for lunch on embarkation day on the QE2. It's impossible, even with platinum status, to be onboard by lunchtime anyway.

the grills are always open at 12 noon on embarkation day.

On our April 10th Caribbean Cruise departing from Brooklyn, the grills (Queens & Princess) opened for lunch from 1PM to 3PM.

Boat drill was scheduled for 4PM.

Last year, embarkation day twice out of Red Hook, both Grills were open and serving, Britannia was not. Walking through Kings Court circa one o'clock, it was quiet; shortly before three o'clock it was a madhouse...a lot more people were on and hungry!

We went right to Todd English, which was empty of all staff, save a bar back and he fetched someone who got the book and did a booking right then. Leaving the room several nights later, they took another booking for us, saying as the table had enjoyed ourselves so much they wanted us back. You can go in more than once is you try.

Regarding SOTON embarkation, if the ship is in on time and cleared and turned around and ready, "they" will begin embarkation earlier than stated on papers. Twice I've had no trouble arriving shortly after Noon and going right in on line. The Grill line, no matter what a red jacket says to you, is the area on the left and up forward. If you're there near one o'clock you should be able to go right on, possibly 10-15 people only in front of you. (Another time the turn-around was late and the Grill line packed; people on the coach with me in the larger line got processed and on by half an hour before me.)

One on-early plus: your Steward (or Roman on Nine Deck) has more time to meet & fuss with you when not yet a lot of people in his patch are on and wanting his attention. You've a chance to chat and they know what you expect of them.

All times, Boat Drill was before five o'clock.

On our April 10th Caribbean Cruise departing from Brooklyn, the grills (Queens & Princess) opened for lunch from 1PM to 3PM.

Boat drill was scheduled for 4PM.

interesting info we sailed the grills 4 times and each time we were having lunch before 12:30 noon. twice in the p grill and twice in the q grill . the last time we sailed was last december. best regards

Archived