Renting wave runners?

travgurl

Not sure, I've never done it. Where are you renting? Not to scare you, but I've heard some horror stories about people renting wave runners, bringing it back, and the owners saying that they were "damaged" and they tried to charge the people hundreds of dollars, with the threat that if they didn't pay up, they would call the Mexican authorities.

I know a crew member who almost took off his leg after the throttle thing jammed and he rammed into the pier.

My girlfriend fell off one in St. Maarten, for the life of her, could not get back on due to the waves. They had to come rescue her, it was hairy scary.

Saw a guy in Labadee wreck his back on one, had to carry him off on a stretcher.

I'd only consider renting one if you are an experienced driver, and if you rent from a reputable company with good reviews. Not sure if you need a drivers license, but you may need a credit card?? But, I really don't know, they scare me!

Do you have to be a specific age to drive a wave runner? Do we need our driver's license with us to rent these?

Most places require that you be 16 years old. When you exit the ship you will need your sail&sign card along with a photo ID. And also bring along the ships daily newsletter since it contains the phone number of the cruiseline rep onshore if something should go wrong.

Have fun.:)

When you exit the ship you will need your sail&sign card along with a photo ID. And also bring along the ships daily newsletter since it contains the phone number of the cruiseline rep onshore if something should go wrong.

Have fun.

Excellent advise, but not necessarily germaine to renting a wave runner.

In my experience all that is required at most places is a lot of dead president photo id and the ability to sign your name to a waiver.

Please do not listen to horror stories, they are very fun and very safe, just know what you are doing, get briefed on safety features and operate away from people and objects.

If anyone crashed because of a jammed throttle, that would be driver error and they should be responsible for their own actions, as every wave runner ever commercially built comes with a kill switch that can be used to shut it down - immediately. Not using it is the driver's fault.

That is why it is important to get briefed and understand how they operate.

...also I agree with the Duck - cash is the most important renting factor...

Not to disagree with the Admiral but.... wave runners are fun. And they can be safe BUT, they are involved in a large number of accidents, fatalities and mishaps. The kill switch may or may not work, the vehicles may or may not have been serviced correctly ... the list goes on why you may want to consider renting or not unless you are an experienced rider. As for myself, we won't rent when on a cruise ship except in US ports. I'm just not familiar with regulations on maintaince etc in non US waters. Have fun (and be safe) on your cruise.

KGK (US Coast Guard Aux Crew qualified, Public Safety Instructor, Vessel Examiner)

Archived