All Things Mariner Of The Seas

The C&A coupon can not be used for any of the wine tastings in Vintages; it can only be used at the one wine tasting in the dining room listed in the capers.

The wine tasting in Vintages is definitely better and more personal (smaller group). Vintages also offers tasting flights you can do on your own.

My favorite place....

What is a tasting flight?

According to the Vintages wine list a wine flight "is a fun way for you to sample and discoer new wines." You chose a variety of wine and taste 4 different wines (2 oz each). For example, one flight is called How Merlot Can You Go? and all Merlots...Robert Mondavi Private Selection, Meridian Vineyards, Wolf Blass and Arboleda (at least according to my 2006 Vintages menu). Its a fun way to do your own tasting and the servers in Vintages are very knowledgable. The flights were 8-12 dollars.

Christine

Much needed help!

I am looking to book a cruise for August or September out of Port Canaveral. My husband and I sailed on the Carnival Glory back in 06’ and very much enjoyed it! I have been leaning towards sailing on the Mariner the more and more I read this WONDERFUL board. I would need to book 2 rooms, both for adults. I’m not sure what type of room we would be booking, but we are on “some what” of a budget… could someone please recommend few cabin sections on the ship? I did notice the unique Promenade staterooms… has anyone had problems with noise or it being too bright in those cabins?

So sorry for being long winded!

Much needed help!

I am looking to book a cruise for August or September out of Port Canaveral. My husband and I sailed on the Carnival Glory back in 06’ and very much enjoyed it! I have been leaning towards sailing on the Mariner the more and more I read this WONDERFUL board. I would need to book 2 rooms, both for adults. I’m not sure what type of room we would be booking, but we are on “some what” of a budget… could someone please recommend few cabin sections on the ship? I did notice the unique Promenade staterooms… has anyone had problems with noise or it being too bright in those cabins?

So sorry for being long winded!

I've stayed in a Promenade room on the Explorer and found no problems with noise or light. I was on the top deck (8 I think) of the Promenade rooms so that may have made a difference. The only thing that you have to remember is that there are rooms and people all around that can look into your cabin if the shades are open. More than once I caught a glimpse of someone in their cabin who had forgotten that while I was people watching on the Promenade.

We were on the Mariner the weeks of Jan 27th and Feb 3rd. Chops and Portofino were open every night both weeks, including embarkation nights. However Day 3/Tuesday of each week Portofino's held their Mystery Theater Dinner Show.

em

what is the mystery theater dinner show? sounds fun please tell me more

• 2 weeks later...

We're sailing on the Mariner in June, and I was wondering about the late seating in the main dining room. We were placed in the far corner right next to a service station on our last cruise, and we got the table to ourselves as well, which was a little disappointing since we didn't get to know anybody in the dining room. I also got a bit tired of staring at the wall every night. :)

We have requested a large table this time around, but is it easy to change tables if they put us in the corner again? Also, which part of the dining room is the best?

:) Just wondering -- is the ice on the ice rink "real" ice or is is "plastic ice"? I know that sounds bizarre, but I am curious if they have a zamboni on the ship to resurface the ice or if periodically they thaw and refreeze the rink back into ice. Just curious -- my daughter had to skate on plastic ice once and hated it. duh :o

:) Just wondering -- is the ice on the ice rink "real" ice or is is "plastic ice"? I know that sounds bizarre, but I am curious if they have a zamboni on the ship to resurface the ice or if periodically they thaw and refreeze the rink back into ice. Just curious -- my daughter had to skate on plastic ice once and hated it. duh :o

:):)

It's a real as the ice that they give in drinks.

:cool::cool:

Me and my daughter went on Mariner in May 2007 and we absolutely loved it!!!! It was on first cruise ever and what a great time we had choose to go without my daughters grandkids and glad we did. Although Mariner is a beautiful ship in itself I found the food too upscale for my liking . I prefer more relaxed enviroment but it was good. I preferred Windjammers Cafe the most but did all we could on the ship to make the most of it. The staff was great within an hour they already knew our favorite drinks and we had a great time overall the promenade rooms are wonderful.

Please help! We have a 7th deck prom room booked for our Nov.08 cruise. Its at the very end of the promenade and I am worried that we won't be able to see much from there. Would we be better off trying to change to a more middle of the prom. area room? I am really excited to try this type of cabin. Thanks for your help.

I have been reviewing reviews for the Western and Eastern iternery for Mariner, and more times than not people dislike their trip going on the Eastern itenery. It was not the ports of call that they disliked but the quality of food, unripe fruit, etc. I have traveled both iteneries. Would there be a change in cooks, or supplies that are made availabe or what? We traveled Mariner on their Eastern itenery in March 2006? This year going Western in July. We will see. I guess we have to take into account that fresh fruits and veggies and meat supplies at your local grocery stores vary week to week as well. The sad part of the food issue is that before Chops and Portofino's their quality of food was served in the dining room. To date we have not tried Chops and Portofino's, but plan to this upcoming cruise. Best food on any of my cruises was the Big Red Boat, followed by Sea Princess, Explorer of the Seas, Mariner of the Seas, the worst was the old Commodore Cruise Line - Caribe. This is based on dining room food only. Food for thought!:rolleyes:

We did the Eastern then the Western this last Jan. We found the only difference between the two is that the Excecutive chief changed between cruises. This ended up changing the taste in the dining and the Windjammer.

Also certain items would start to run out as the cruise approached the end

:):cool:

My fiancee and I went on Mariner this past Feb. (7 night western caribbean). We had a wonderful time! Graham was an amazing cruise director and everything was incredible (the food, entertainment, ports of call, etc. was top notch). We were with a group of 40 people (friends renewing their wedding vows) and had the time of our lives. This was my first every cruise (my fiancee's 3rd but 1st with RCCL).

We're taking cruises #2 and 3 with RCCL this coming January on Independance of the Seas (8 night eastern caribbean for our wedding/wedding party, and then 6 night western caribbean immediately after for our honeymoon). We're getting married in St. Thomas on the beach - can't wait!

Derek

Can't wait to be on the Mariner in a couple of weeks for the third time. She's our favorite ship.

After reading your glowing review, it's funny to read a post about the "terrible" food that someone could hardly "choke" down. I still don't understand the impact that a change in executive chef would make. They use the same recipe book as the week before. The new chef doesn't bring on his own cook book. Bring 100 gallons of water to a boil, peel 200 lbs potatoes....

Archived