Snorkel Mexican Riviera

Calicruiser101

We are cruising on the Pride in July and I was wondering if there were any places to snorkel from the beach? I will be with some kids (9yrs.-13yrs) and would feel more comfortable snorkeling from the shore as opposed to jumping off a boat. We will be in P.V. Maz. and Cabo. Hope the question makes sense.:D

There is not much snorkleing on this itinerary. My experience is the water is cloudy. I think your best bet is Cabo but I don't think there's any decent snorkeling where the ship stops.

The Pacific is not really snorkel friendly (unless you were going up the Sea of Cortez there is good snorkeling).

Of the three ports you're visiting, Cabo will be your best bet. Most snorkel excursion boats go to Bahia Chileno or Bahia Santa Maria; both of which can be reached by car, bus or taxi. Restrooms at both locations are primitave (portable toilets) and, most likely, only Bahia Santa Maria will have food/drink vendors. Snorkeling in Cabo will not be on par with the Caribbean, Yucatan or Hawaii, but, IMO, still worth going.

We took a tour in Cabo to Santa Maria to snorkel. Water was very clear (much better than we expected) and there was a good assortment of fish. While there were several boats in the bay at the time, the beach was pretty quiet. Looked like it was right off a main road.

If you get a chance to head there, you could definitely head out from the nice sandy beach and snorkel right from shore. Closest to the rocks were the greatest numbers of fish.

Santa Maria is the best bet. It's a pretty setting, midway between Cabo San Lucas and Cabo San Jose. Take a taxi and ask the driver to come back for you. If he doesn't show, then you can walk into a hotel and ask them to call one.

Archived