Bringing Alcohol Back into the US

MamaTene

Crusing the Caribbean via a private sailing charter next week. The question has come up about bringing booze back into the states. Has anyone travelled lately outside the country and brought booze back with them going through TSA and customs without having to put it in their checked luggage. And if you have, assuming no problem on your initial flight, did you have a connecting flight that may have caused a problem with carrying the booze onboard. Based on what we've read, no liquids more than 3.4 oz are allowed to be carried onboard and they have to be in the quart size plastic bag. Also, some people have written they can get booze at the duty free airports after passing TSA as long as they are put in sealed packaging. However, a problem arises when they get back to the states for a connecting flight. Thanks for your help

You can bring what you want into the US subject to taxes (you get two liters free), but if you have a connecting flight you will have to pack it into your checked luggage. You will not be able to carry it onboard.

For example, flying into the US from London I carried two bottles of Scotch onto the plane. Bought it at the duty free shops and they delivered it to the gate. But, once arriving in the States, if I had to connect to another flight, I would have had to pack it away into checked luggage.

If you purchase booze on the ship and you leave and arrive in the US (say Fort Lauderdale), and you fly into and out of there, you can carry it off the ship but you will have to pack it into checked luggage for your flight.

Cheers,

My experience is has to be checked. I do kknow of people that complained enough as they didn't want to check a high dollar bottle. I have not had that luck and now always over package the bottle and put it in checked bags. Unfortunately, you're at the mercy of the TSA agent and don't want to chance having to leave it behind.

Archived