Newbie Here!

Jem4life

I posted this on the "Poll" thread... but thought I'd copy it here since I'm new here!

Hi everyone! Booked 3/26/05 Western Carribean cruise about 10 days ago and that's when the "diet" officially began. I figure I have close to 8 months to lose the weight and be "swimsuit ready". I ultimatly would like to lose 80 pounds! (Is that unreasonable?) This has been the greatest incentive I've had in a long time! Been doing GREAT so far! As far as weighing myself... I need to see results on the scale and I find that if I weigh too often, I may get discouraged... so I've set my 1st weigh-in for the last of this month (8/31) I'll let you know how it's going then. I've tried every diet out there and I found that what works for me is just portion control and cutting out snacks and sweets and certainly exercise won't hurt either. I lost almost 50 pounds about 5 yrs. ago that way, but put back on 80! Yikes! I don't even recognize myself sometimes. I want to be a participant on this cruise... not an observer! Plan on snokeling, and all that fun stuff... at the weight I am now, I don't think I'd do that.

So... I'm looking here for support and friends to keep me motivated. Looks from past posts that you guys are a real support system. Looking forward to joining in your group and updating you frequently on my success!

Thanks in advance!
Jean

5/04 Diamond Princess~ Alaska
3/05 NCL Sea~ Western Carribean (229 days and counting!)

Hey Jean! :D I replied to your post on the "Poll" thread, but wanted to say hello here also. You are going to have to be really strict on yourself if you want to lose 10 lbs a month. That means exercise, exercise, exercise along with a diet that you can stick with. Please don't be disappointed if you don't lose 80 lbs because ANY weight loss is an accomplishment. I wanted to lose 30 lbs before my cruise and I only lost 20. Did I have less of a good time? No way! So, if you only lose 50 lbs, you should feel proud. I wish you the best of luck and hope you stick around here. We like to "see" new "faces." :)

[quote name='Jem4life']I've tried every diet out there and I found that what works for me is just portion control and cutting out snacks and sweets and certainly exercise won't hurt either. I lost almost 50 pounds about 5 yrs. ago that way, but put back on 80! Yikes![/QUOTE]

Yep, portion control, and snacking are major culprits, but excersize is THE key...basically u need to take in less cals than u take in and youre golden. Try to think what was it that made you quit your eating/excersizing habits b4 u gained back the 50 +, and use that as a guide for this time.

Remember, u'll need to change your lifestyle patterns for this to be a permanent thing--if u want it to be--that means making small but consequential changes in your day to day routines that will effect the end result.

Best of luck, but also keep in mind 10lbs/mo. is a rather lofty goal--you should aim for 1-2lbs/week, preparing yourself for plateaus(I stayed at one weight for three mos. but I kept at it). Also get a tape measure--it's great to see a inch reduction when you aren't seeing that scale budge.

:)

Welcome Jean. :) As you can see, a lot of us are doing different things to get and keep the weight off. You'll find tons of support here. So - if you're down, come here and talk to us. We've been there too. We also want to hear when you do well, which I'm sure will outnumber the rest.

Since you have a monthly goal of 10 lbs, you might want to check with your Dr too. The more help, the better. :)

Beth

Thank you all for the nice reception I have received on this board so far! You all are so understanding and helpful!

Weirdeyes- I know 80lbs is a lot to lose in 8 months and you are right... i will still have a good time on the cruise if I don't lose it all! I hoping for at least 50 off by then though. I have tended to lose fast in the past... but I am older now and I know it's slower going.

herbnjob- I know it's going to take a lifestyle change and I've taken the 1st steps these past 2 weeks. Cutting out snacking and keeping temptations out of the house. I realize maybe 10 lbs. a month may be a little hard to do, but I'll do my best.

Beth, Thanks for your encouragement. Next lifestyle change goal is in incorporate exercise in to my daily activities. I'll probably start with walking... hey it's cheap! We have a weight machine at home too and free weights.

I'll will most difinately inform you of my success!

Jean

Hi Jean:

I started the Michael Thurmaond six week body makeover on July 6th 2004 and as of yesterday I have lost 19 pounds. On the plan you eat 5-6 meals per day with 100 ounces of water. AND you must excerise, I do it 20 to theiry minutes per day. As far as I'm concerned I will keep eating this way from now on. It's healthy, I feel better and I definitely feel better. Good luck on your program, keep posting it helps when you get frustrated!

mary

Mary,
Thank you for the encouragement and congrats on 19 pounds gone forever! Can I ask how much total you want to lose? I do need to incorporate exercise in to my WOE. I plan on starting out walking and I'll work my way up. I know I'll feel better and have more energy.

One question... what time of the day to you fit in your exercise? I was thinking about just getting up a 1/2 hour earlier every day and doing it then. Seems easiest time to do it... exercise, shower and it's off to work.

I do drink a lot of water while I'm at work. Since I have a desk job, it's easy to do. At home I try to keep a full glass around and keep re-filling it, but I don't seem to drink as much at home.

Thanks again Mary and good luck!

Jean, I don't think u should "quit" snacks---theyre a great way to help keep blood sugar levels steady(a major factor in eliminating belly fat)...just snack healthy.

I work out in the early am(this am at 5) most mornings---that way it's over and I'm much less likely to put it off.

Archived