London - Best place for high tea

They are nice, but rather expensive. I add the Browns, Claridge, Savoy and Waldorf. In case you look for something not as sumptuous, I recommend Richoux at Piccadilly Street or Knightsbridge. Something afforadable and nice it´s the Cafe in the Crypt or even at the Museums, or a big dept store. I love the Pontis at Covent Garden. It´s really casual, but the cakes are simply superb as in Patisserie Valerie.

Hi all. One of the things i want to do in London is experience high tea. I'd like reccomendations from the 'natives' for their favorite places. Thanks!

I don't want to split hairs over language, but do your search for afternoon tea rather than high tea. I would call high tea a later somewhat more substantial meal than afternoon tea which is a pot of tea with sandwiches and some rather yummy freshly made cakes and scones. In Devon/Cornwall 'cream tea' means tea with scones jam and cream (possibly clotted). I've never eaten it in a London hotel, I don't think that I am posh enough.

Visitors to Gibraltar can get a very nice afternoon tea at the big hotels, that can be a rather English thing to do.

I don't want to split hairs over language, but do your search for afternoon tea rather than high tea. I would call high tea a later somewhat more substantial meal than afternoon tea which is a pot of tea with sandwiches and some rather yummy freshly made cakes and scones. In Devon/Cornwall 'cream tea' means tea with scones jam and cream (possibly clotted). I've never eaten it in a London hotel, I don't think that I am posh enough.

Visitors to Gibraltar can get a very nice afternoon tea at the big hotels, that can be a rather English thing to do.

Yes High Tea is not the same as afternoon tea. High Tea will include a hot meal like bacon eggs and chips or a pie and chips or mash or indeed fish and chips. High tea is in my mind a particularly Scottish thing with the hot meal being served with a pot of tea and bread and butter.

Most of the large hotels in London will do a version and will work out quite expensive, with the most expensive being up to £30.00 ($60). Some may be even more. You have to book for most of them and in particular at The Ritz, where it is more of an institution and I think there may be up to 3 sittings. In these large 'POSH' hotels you are not paying so much for the food as the 'name' If you approach it with this in mind you will enjoy it all the more.

To get the full benefit you may wish to dress up, as for an occasion.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Thanks, everyone for the information. I was aware there is a difference between tea and high tea. i was not aware high tea was more of a scottish thing. i may save that for when i visit scotland, then.

I'm not sure about it being a Scottish thing. It was relatively common in one of the small towns in Lincolnshire, as I recall.

I was brought up to eat dinner at midday and then 'tea' which was high tea at 6 pm (you could set your clock by it), it was the last meal of the day and would include a pot of tea but had a savoury such as sausages, pie or a salad. I was raised in Nottingham.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived