hiring a driver for the day

tyson

If you're not using Outlook as your usual e-mail method you will need to copy/paste the e-mail address onto the "TO" line of a new e-mail note (instead of clicking on the link). That's why you're getting the wizard thingy.

I use hotmail and copy/pasted Gerry's e-mail address months ago to reserve his services for January 2009. Got a reply from Mike right away and my friends and I are booked with him for jan.

Can't wait. Good luck!!!

Mom2sons

There is only one road around the island and it is 45 around the island. The west side is very pretty but only bars to stop at. Car rental is $60 including insurance. Don't rent with the insurance. Its a trap if you don't.

There is only one road around the island and it is 45 around the island. The west side is very pretty but only bars to stop at. Car rental is $60 including insurance. Don't rent with the insurance. Its a trap if you don't.

I have been to Cozumel twice and plan a third visit in August. I would rather spend the $80 and get three hours of personal guidance and not drive around the island on my own especially after a couple of drinks on the east side.

D.

Thanks, not sure where I got "Mike" from...:o

Mixing up my threads!

I must tell you, I've sent so many emails!!! Mike actually responded to my first response using under a different email address. I completely got it mixed up with a Roatan inquiry.

So, OK...Gerry is not available but Galileo is. Has anyone had him as a driver?

About how much are the one day tours with the great Gerry?

Thanks!

Its $80 for the first three hours and then $20 for each additional hour. ....

Darlene

I emailed Gerry and got a reply,via Mike.Unfortunately Gerrys station wagon can only hold 4 people,and we are 6.He quoted me $180 for a van plus $35 an hour after that.....

My apologies to Mike and Darlene to editing your messages down to just the pertinent info about Gerry.

We did a private van tour for 6 of us, though there would have been room for 10 in the van. It was really reasonable and dependable, went off without a hitch. If you check it out and are interested, ask for Pedro from Yaxkin tours.

I don't know where it went but Mama used Island Marketing.

HTH

Em

We booked Gerry for September, we are four adults just wondering if it would be a tight fit. 2 couples average build.Hopefully someone who used him will let me know. Thanks in advance

We booked Gerry for September, we are four adults just wondering if it would be a tight fit. 2 couples average build.Hopefully someone who used him will let me know. Thanks in advance

Interesting, we are four adults as well. Seems like I've read the vehicle is a Ford Focus station wagon. We'll put the largest person in the front, or the one that gets car sick...:o

We figure we can manage. If we can sit on a packed plane for a couple of hours (which is sometimes just on the runway), we can definitely deal with a short car ride where we will be in and out to take pictures. As long as we have air, we are good to go!!!!

We have booked Gerry for august 7th. we are so excited. our ship is scheduled to dock at 9...when do ya'll usually meet Gerry? we would like to make the most of our three hours and wanted to try for lunch at coconuts. how long does it usually take to get around the island?

im so glad i saw this when i was looking for something to do...

i will write a review when we get back. thanks everyone.

We have Gerry booked for our tour in a few weeks...

I know we will pay him at the end of our tour. But I really don't know how much we should tip him....do you think of 15% of his rate (the total minus the van rental), or is there some other standard we should consider???

Thanks.

We have Gerry booked for our tour in a few weeks...

I know we will pay him at the end of our tour. But I really don't know how much we should tip him....do you think of 15% of his rate (the total minus the van rental), or is there some other standard we should consider???

Thanks.

I think tips should reflect the service you get and I do not think that there is a percentage formula for a tour guide. We usually tip $5-10 per person for a "good" tour. We have tipped more though for Cosol in St. Lucia! That guy is too funny!!! We have also not tipped at all on a RCCL sponsored tour where the tour guides did not go out of their way and were not friendly... Totally up to you.....

Has anyone done this lately? If so, who did you use? We've been to Cozumel many times but have never really seen the island, so this time (July 3) I'd like to hire someone to take us around. I know you can rent a car, but I'm not too keen on me or my husband doing the driving. I've read about Gaby, a driver you can hire for $95 for four hours, but it's been awhile since anyone has posted about using him. There will be three of us--myself, my husband, and 20-year-old son. We will be there from 8:00 to 5:00 with only one other ship in port. Any help would be appreciated!

We just came back from playa del carmen this summer, we hired gerardo barragan he has a veryy good servicee probably the best in playa, he had a clean van and ac, he has a cooler and can take beer, water or any other things you can ask for...he took us to tulum and on the way back we stopped in akumal beach which was beautiful....i really recommend this driver to take anyone who plans to go over to the mainland, riviera maya,playa del carmen, cancun, tulum etc .....his email is......barragan777mx@yahoo.com send him an email and he will give you all the prices and information ...good luck

• 2 weeks later...
I have emiled Mike waiting on a response. What are some interesting places to see.....how long does it take to get around the island?

Mike will actually send you a list of interesting places and their internet links (if applicable). If you flip through these pages a couple people have also listed what they did. Have a great trip!

The best day of our cruise in July was spent with Gerry. He is great !!!

That is great news - we just e-mailed Gerry/Mike and are booked with him for our Feb. cruise. I just asked to tour the East side of the island with a couple of cocktail stops (Coconuts specifically) and maybe a little shopping along with some photo ops. Does that sound good or would you recommend something more? We wanted to stick to the 3 hour tour so we have time to walk around town. I'm not sure how long it takes to go around the Island.

Hi Ken - just had to stop by to say hi!!

Also wanted you all to know how lucky you are to have booked Gerry!!!! We were 4 ladies travelling and booked a tour with Gerry - spent the whole day with him and the time just flew by so quickly it wasn't even funny!!!!! He is just the best!!!!!

Have fun!!

I just got an email from Mike,He gave me the price as 60.00 for the station wagon which will hold 4 average adults or 180.00 for a van holding 8 adults. He said Gerry would have to rent the van thats why the increase in price. He did send links to places we might like to go to.

As soon as we talk to our friends we will probably book with Gerry.

I just got an email from Mike,He gave me the price as 60.00 for the station wagon which will hold 4 average adults or 180.00 for a van holding 8 adults. He said Gerry would have to rent the van thats why the increase in price. He did send links to places we might like to go to.

As soon as we talk to our friends we will probably book with Gerry.

That's strange - he quoted us $80 for the station wagon. What time of the year are you going? Is the demand higher in February or something? This is the first I've heard of a $60 quote.