hiring a driver for the day

tyson

We were unable to get Gerry and was able to get Lazaro, he was wonderful, very informative of the island of Cozumel. Told us stories about the island, pointed out things we would have missed on our own. He was very professional, personable and attentive to our desires and needs. Took us to a store for drinks and drove us for hours stopping anywhere we requested or where he thought we would like ( even a stretch of beach where we found conch shells. ) We have been going to Cozumel since 2000 and have never seen it as the beautiful island it is without Lazaro assistance. I would highly recommend anyone interested to contact them for a great day in Cozumel. I was able to reach them at cozumeltaxi@hotmail.com

If you are lucky enough to get Lazaro tell him Leslie and Rick says hi.

I couldn’t agree more, Lazaro was great and by the end of the day he had six drunks in the van with him and he was still nice as he could be.

I told him I would give him a good review when I got back to the states. Below is a picture of him at the end of the day, still smiling.

He was great when we stopped at the stores and stuff because he would go in with us and interpret for us.

We will definitely use Lazaro when we go back.

Here’s his pic

232323232%7Ffp53253%3Enu%3D3263%3E753%3E747%3EWSNRCG%3D32343773%3A8656nu0mrj

Gerry and the other guy are booked for feb 21, 2009 :( can anyone help me find someone else for 6 adults tour of the city no water actives.

There are plenty of friendly taxi drivers at the pier that speak good english, just agree on a price first.

I just booked Gerry for Jan and here are the new rates

Gerry has a station wagon which seats 4 average-sized adult passengers, and comes equipped with ice cold A/C, CD player (bring your tunes!) and a cooler if you choose to buy beverages and ice during your tour. A tour costs $95USD for the 1st 3 hours and $25USD per each additional hour.

He can also provide a van with the same amenities, which holds up to 8 passengers. A van tour will run $195USD for the first 3 hours and $40USD per each additional hour. Gerry regrets the increased charge, but since he does not have a van of his own, he must rent one.

Charges are per vehicle, not per person. There is a 3 hour minimum charge for all tours.

Beverages, lunch, park admissions, etc. are your responsibility.

Gerry has lived in Cozumel for over 10 years, so of course he knows all the popular tourist destinations as well as the out of the way gems

Just got back and here is the review.

We ended up being with Lazaro ( who is also terrific) his car is older and a tight fit for 4 adults but had a wonderful time. Our original plan was to use him for 3 hrs, have him drop us off at the national park and make our way back with another cab.

He was so great that we changed or plans and stayed with him 5 hrs and then just headed back to the ship. I would recommend these guys to anyone. It was well worth the money.

Finally, there are only 2 of them with anywhere from 4 - 8 ships in town. So if you are thinking about using them. Book early in advance

Edited by CGinMTL

Four of us used Gerry 1-12-09 in Coz. The tour was great! We lucked out because he had the van instead of the station wagon - for the same price. Gerry loves to sing and by the time we got back to port we were all singing Frank Sinatra and LMAO.

Mike sent me an email saying Gerry was available for our day in Cozumel, but had "local time" underlined. Is it true that the ship operates is on eastern time and port time is central? What time should I give as the pick up time ?Should I give him what time the ship docs? TIA

bw0706

The ship is on Eastern time and Coz is Central. Just tell him 30 minutes after the ship docks. We did this and he was waiting for us at the taxi stand.

I would like to add, Ecstasy was more than 2 hours late and my husband and I wondered what would happen. Lazaro took the initiative and was there waiting for us when we finally made it at around 12:15!

I also took a picture of Lazaro. Mike had said driver's couldn't hold signs at Puerta Maya and that Gerry would have on a big name tag. We were a bit dubious about how we would find him. Just walk past drivers looking for his nametag? Trust us, by large, he meant LARGE, it would have been impossible to miss. I'll post the picture and a short review of our trip with Lazaro after we get organized. The short version is without question we woudl use him again and you can't miss him at the pier.

Just an update....

since the taxi union raised its rates ......

Gerry now has to charge $95.00 for 3 hours and $25 for any additional hour....but that is still for up to 4 people for the Station Wagon or 8 people if you get the van. So it is still a reasonable price considering the price of ship excursions or the hassle of renting a car and the whole "drinking and driving" thing.

We just toured with Gerry earlier this month and had a BLAST.

Here is a picture of Gerry and the van that we used...

We bar hopped all down the East side and it was COOL!!!

P1000374.jpg.6d80746e02b986526aa72147d753acd4.jpg

this may sound silly but is that $95 per hour those three hours - so $95*3=285 and then $20 per hour afterward?

thanks!

Nope, Lilly. It is $95 for teh first three hours (three hour minimum) and then $20/hr afterwards. So if you used their services for 4 hours the total would be $115 (plus any ip you chose to put forth).

Nope, Lilly. It is $95 for teh first three hours (three hour minimum) and then $20/hr afterwards. So if you used their services for 4 hours the total would be $115 (plus any ip you chose to put forth).

That is correct.

It is $95.00 for the first 3 hours. And then it is actually $25.00 an hour for any additional hours.

And again, you design your own tour....you can go anywhere you want to go and stay as long as you want to.

We only did 3 hours because we just wanted a taste of the East side and we wanted to spend the afternoon with a friend we know ..... so it was $95.00 and then we added a tip.

It worked out perfectly for the 4 of us!!

I just sent an e-mail to see what is available (if anything) for June 17th!:)

Definitely sounds like the kind of 'tour' that I like to take... Will advise what I find out...

Rec'd my confirmation from Mike today!:) Plus a detailed listing of the 'meet up' area...

Minimum of three hours at $95.00 per excursion.. $25.00 per hour for any time additional.. Sounds like a nice day for the 3 of us..:p

Rec'd my confirmation from Mike today!:) Plus a detailed listing of the 'meet up' area...

Minimum of three hours at $95.00 per excursion.. $25.00 per hour for any time additional.. Sounds like a nice day for the 3 of us..:p

Have fun!!!!!

Have fun!!!!!
We've been to COZ several times, but haven't experienced a true 'tour of the island'..:) We did the 4 X 4 Jeep adventure (with a little bit of extended tour of the East End after), but want to see more...:D

LHP - ps: Never did find your friend on the Freedom.. Had your instructions with me, however we never ran across him... Sorry!:o

So, what type of places will you go to?

We've booked him for the day before you. I would like some ideas of where to go/what to see.

So, what type of places will you go to?

We've booked him for the day before you. I would like some ideas of where to go/what to see.

'Gerry' will pick where to go if you aren't sure.. Just give him some ideas...:p

We asked for the San Gervasio Ruins.... Not a large excavation, but should be memorable! Also want to see the rock formations, etc at El Mirado... Other than that, we have picked the 'East End' or "wild side" with visits to Coconuts and Mezcalitos for drinks and food, as well as supposedly numerous photo ops, and 'local' souvenier shopping...!! There are also numerous beaches on that side of the island, but 'swimming' is a no-no... We really just want to experience the East End of the island this trip!:) I'm sure we'll be back at some point...:D

If time permits, we may even do a round of Miniature Golf... Neat golf course on the island..!!

Edited by stlrboo

'Gerry' will pick where to go if you aren't sure.. Just give him some ideas...:p

We asked for the San Gervasio Ruins.... Not a large excavation, but should be memorable! Also want to see the rock formations, etc at El Mirado... Other than that, we have picked the 'East End' or "wild side" with visits to Coconuts and Mezcalitos for drinks and food, as well as supposedly numerous photo ops, and 'local' souvenier shopping...!! There are also numerous beaches on that side of the island, but 'swimming' is a no-no... We really just want to experience the East End of the island this trip!:) I'm sure we'll be back at some point...:D

If time permits, we may even do a round of Miniature Golf... Neat golf course on the island..!!

I was thinking the same as you. My husband is a social studies teacher, so the ruins would interest him. I definitely want to go to someplace to have an adult beverage with a view. I am not interested in swimming (we live near the ocean). So, I was wondering which place to go to. I think I might want to sit close to the beach, and Coconuts is on a bluff, correct? Also, I think it would be cool to sit under the things that have the thatched roofs. Not all places have those.

I was thinking of going to lunch at a local place in town, so I could experience the local food. Also I want to purchase some pottery, but at a good price. Los Cincos is too expensive for my, so I will want Gerry to take me to a couple of places that I got from Cozumel My Cozumel. Of course, he may know of others.

BTW, is Gerry pronounced like Jerry or Gary? Does anyone know?

We've been to COZ several times, but haven't experienced a true 'tour of the island'..:) We did the 4 X 4 Jeep adventure (with a little bit of extended tour of the East End after), but want to see more...:D

LHP - ps: Never did find your friend on the Freedom.. Had your instructions with me, however we never ran across him... Sorry!:o

That's ok....I hope you had a GREAT cruise!!!!

Edited by LHP

I was thinking the same as you. My husband is a social studies teacher, so the ruins would interest him. I definitely want to go to someplace to have an adult beverage with a view. I am not interested in swimming (we live near the ocean). So, I was wondering which place to go to. I think I might want to sit close to the beach, and Coconuts is on a bluff, correct? Also, I think it would be cool to sit under the things that have the thatched roofs. Not all places have those.

I was thinking of going to lunch at a local place in town, so I could experience the local food. Also I want to purchase some pottery, but at a good price. Los Cincos is too expensive for my, so I will want Gerry to take me to a couple of places that I got from Cozumel My Cozumel. Of course, he may know of others.

BTW, is Gerry pronounced like Jerry or Gary? Does anyone know?

We pronounced it Jerry....here is a picture of him...

P1000374.jpg.7224181c82d6ef74b670087a5720858b.jpg