hiring a driver for the day

tyson

As far as I know its been $80 right along and I have been in contact with Gerry/Mike every so often. It might have been a typo on Mikes behalf and I would hate to see Gerry jipped an extra $20 because of it. He is such a great guy and deserves the price he gets.

D.

well we are back and our day with Gerry was awesome. we went by the grocery store and picked up water, wine coolers and ice. he took us everywhere we wanted to go and show us some beautiful stuff on the way. we were really barhopping alot of the time on the east side. he got along great with my 16 yr old son...was finding music that he would like. we forgot a bag in the taxi and he came all the way back to margaritaville to bring it to us. im looking forward to next year so i can book him again...we will do the tequila tour next time.

thanks Gerry!

Laurie

we met him at 10:00am but actually a little early. we went to the grocery store after that. then we stopped at Del Sol because we were stopping close to boat at the end. we did a little sightseeing on the way to the other side of the island. we stopped at merzelitos(sp?)-drank a drink...did a little shopping. then went to coconuts and had lunch/drinks-that took the longest. we stopped at the natural bridge formation...took pictures. then made a quick stop at bob marley's bar. but didnt go in. then he dropped us off at margaritaville. it was about 4 hours cause it was $105. but we had a good time and did everything we wanted to do. so didnt mind the extra time. and he wasnt the reason for the extra time at all. he is open to anything you want to do. he is very nice and knowledgable about the island.

We were in Cozumel in July. Prior to that, I contacted cozumeltaxi@hotmail.com and arranged for Gerry to drive my two sons and me all day. Gerry was waiting with my name on a sign. We stopped at a market for drinks in his ice chest and off we went...nice shops, tequila tour, sightseeing and lunch on the other side of the island, climb up the lighthouse, followed by swimming. Fantastic day...Gerry had so much interesting information about the island. We didn't have a care in the world except to enjoy the island and his company. Gerry--HELLO if you are reading this from Cindy, Art, and Curt!

• 2 weeks later...
OK guys. Just talked to one of the cab drivers that I've gotten to know over the years here at PB and he'll take you wherever you want to go! He's got a Ford Focus stationwagon with ice-cold air. Gerardo speaks very good English and charges $80USD for 3 hours and $20USD for each additional hour. Let me know if you want to book him and he'll meet you at the pier...

e990c15d.jpg

Hello Tom...

It's Marie (Quiltsnh) we are coming back to Cozumel in Nov 08 specifically on Nov 22. The ship docks from 12-9 We are hoping to come to PB for a couple hours then hire a driver to take us on a tour (3 hours) as we have never really seen the island because we love PB so much. In the above thread you mentioned a driver are his serves still avail?

Marie

PS we have come 2x with some kids from SPecial Olympics! Maybe you remember.

Hello Tom...

It's Marie (Quiltsnh) we are coming back to Cozumel in Nov 08 specifically on Nov 22. The ship docks from 12-9 We are hoping to come to PB for a couple hours then hire a driver to take us on a tour (3 hours) as we have never really seen the island because we love PB so much. In the above thread you mentioned a driver are his serves still avail?

Marie

PS we have come 2x with some kids from SPecial Olympics! Maybe you remember.

Marie -- I'm obviously not Tom, but email the driver at the Email address in the post right above yours to find out if he is available. Someone named "Mike" handles the Emails and will answer regarding Gerardo's (Gerry's) availability that day. Enjoy your trip!!!

Marie -- I'm obviously not Tom, but email the driver at the Email address in the post right above yours to find out if he is available. Someone named "Mike" handles the Emails and will answer regarding Gerardo's (Gerry's) availability that day. Enjoy your trip!!!

Thanx for your response I have already talked to Mike... the problem is we wnat to spend a couple hours at PB then do a tour and this is the response form Mike

Unfortunately, due to taxi union rules, pre-arranged tours only have a 2 hour window in which the participants can be picked up at the pier.

I emailed him back and said what if you pick us up at PB instead haven't heard yet....

Thanx for your response I have already talked to Mike... the problem is we wnat to spend a couple hours at PB then do a tour and this is the response form Mike

Unfortunately, due to taxi union rules, pre-arranged tours only have a 2 hour window in which the participants can be picked up at the pier.

I emailed him back and said what if you pick us up at PB instead haven't heard yet....

Email carrie at tourcozumel dot net she will arrange your tour.

Not sure what happened, but we had arranged to have Gerry pick us up right in front of Carlos and Charlies at the port, but Gerry was a no show! We waited 45 minutes.... I even brought a print out of the email. We had the right time, right date, and the right place. Bummer...

I was really looking forward to this. Good thing we did not pay in advance.

I'm sure Gerry had a reason, but if it could have been avoided, an email would have been nice, and we would have made alternate plans. As it turned out, we walked around the shopping district for a few hours, and headed back to the ship.

Not sure what happened, but we had arranged to have Gerry pick us up right in front of Carlos and Charlies at the port, but Gerry was a no show! We waited 45 minutes.... I even brought a print out of the email. We had the right time, right date, and the right place. Bummer...

I'm sure Gerry had a reason, but if it could have been avoided, an email would have been nice, and we would have made alternate plans. As it turned out, we walked around the shopping district for a few hours, and headed back to the ship.

Gosh sorry to hear that Gerry normally does not have this type of problem.

Posted this question on the main Cozumel board..now I'll try it here. What time do I tell the taxi/guide we've arranged through the above email address to meet us?? We're on the Carnival Liberty arriving at 8am, but I'm confused if they mean local time or if the ship stays on Miami time where it departed from. From reading the postings here on CC some folks found it one way and others the opposite even on the same cruise line. Anyone have an idea for me??

Posted this question on the main Cozumel board..now I'll try it here. What time do I tell the taxi/guide we've arranged through the above email address to meet us?? We're on the Carnival Liberty arriving at 8am, but I'm confused if they mean local time or if the ship stays on Miami time where it departed from. From reading the postings here on CC some folks found it one way and others the opposite even on the same cruise line. Anyone have an idea for me??

Ships time would be eastern time. Cozumel is central time, so if your docs say arrive at 8am you arrive at 7am. Hope that helps or answers your question.

When we came to Cozumel last January, I was not even sure if we would dock or tender because it was an adjusted itinerary. I contacted Mike/Gerry and told them that I wanted to picked up 30 minutes after docking or tendering and Gerry was there waiting for me with my sign. They know which ships are docking where better then we do as passengers.;)

As for the previous poster about Gerry missing your pick up ... Did you email Mike upon your return to find out what happened? I am sorry you missed out on a great day with Gerry but something must have happened to cause him to miss your pick up.

D.

Mike did email back. Gerry was waiting for us at the pier where our ship docked! I understood his instructions tellign us to meet him in front of the Carlos and Charlies taxi stand. Miscommunication/misunderstanding. No hard feelings.

Thing to note (this is what I did not understand, not ever having been to Cozumel):

There are several taxi stops, not just the one in front of Carlos and Charlies!

Which ever dock your ship stops at, Gerry will be THERE.

Thing to note (this is what I did not understand, not ever having been to Cozumel):

There are several taxi stops, not just the one in front of Carlos and Charlies!

Which ever dock your ship stops at, Gerry will be THERE.

That is a very great point, not to mention the taxi stands, but with all the vendors and cruisers walking around it can and will seem very confusing. Always ask your tour provider to be specific in a meeting point and time. Sorry you missed your day, but glad he did explain why so others wont make the same mistake.

We just got back for Cozumel and had a great time with Gerry. We asked to be pick up at 10.00 but dock early. We walk out at 9 and there he was standing with a sign with our name. We stay with him for 5 hours and had a great time. He show up all over the island and stay with us while we swim at one of the beaches. ;) He was very consiterate about keep the car running when we got out so that the car was always cool when we returned. :o He is very knowledable about his home and was able to answered our question. :o If we ever go back we will look him up.

We just got back for Cozumel and had a great time with Gerry. We asked to be pick up at 10.00 but dock early. We walk out at 9 and there he was standing with a sign with our name. We stay with him for 5 hours and had a great time. He show up all over the island and stay with us while we swim at one of the beaches. ;) He was very consiterate about keep the car running when we got out so that the car was always cool when we returned. :o He is very knowledable about his home and was able to answered our question. :o If we ever go back we will look him up.

How much did he charge you and how many people were with you?

We just returned from a day in Cozumel. We attempted to book with Gerry but he was unavailable. We did meet him though as we met up at the tequila museum. Instead, we had Galileo. He was great. We docked at the pier across from Carlos & Charlies. However, you could not walk right out across the street. We had to go up an escalator, across a street bridge, and then find our way down to the taxi line. Well, we were a little confused as C&C was in the front with a taxi line as well. It took us a while to get off the ship as my mother cannot move too swiftly. It was about an hour after we docked which is about 15 minutes later than the estimated time I asked to start. So we were in good shape.

Galileo drove 3 of us around the island using a small station wagon. We stopped at several locations. It was very scenic. We are not drinkers, so just wanted to tour. The eastern (or other side) of island is really beautiful and minimally populated. It was interesting to learn that there was no electricity on that side and generators were used.

We planned to go to Coconuts for lunch. Unfortunately, there was not a "elder" friendly entrance. My mother could not do the stairs. We ventured on to Punta Sur and the lighthouse where we enjoyed lunch. Great tacos and mild salsa! We then headed back to the pier for some souvenir shopping. We were gone for 5 hours if I recall at a cost of $120 and we tipped $20.

How much did he charge you and how many people were with you?

There was just the 2 of us and for the 5 hours it was $120.00. The beach we swam at was a natural made beach made by Hurricane Wilma and was beautiful, soft sand that we are used to. The beaches at the resorts are man made and made of crushed coral, very hard on the feet. Gerry watched our stuff and was very upset when I thought I had lost my cell phone and glasses when we stopped. Both I am gald to say were found in the car had fallen out when I slid my bag in. The beach was at the restaurnat we ate at which was delicious and the other thing Gerry took us to a natural bridge that we knew nothing about before. It was a beautiful thing to see. The taquila tour is very interesting and was worth the stop. Everywhere we went Gerry was very considerate opening doors for me, holding my hand when climbing on the coral bridge so that I did not fall. We will definately look him up if we get to make a return trip.