hiring a driver for the day

tyson

The Corale Bridge is El Mirador which is just past Coconuts. Do not go to the Tequilla Tour and Tequilla is not made on the island. After the ruins head to the East side and stop off at Mezcallitos "Naked Beach" sign then work your way down the coast. Coconuts, Chen Rio, El Mirador, Punta Sur are good stops before heading to PB. You will be back in plenty of time for shopping.

Thanks for the info about Gerry. I heard back from Mike. Gerry is not available but Lazaro is. I have heard his name mentioned before. Anyone used him as a guide? I think we are going to go ahead and book him. It will be nice to leave the driving to someone else and not have to worry about driving a car around town with all the chaos . Going to the areas would not be able to find ourselves.....take the stress off and enjoy our day on Cozumel!

thanks,

Julie

Julie, I've read that Lazaro is good also. I hope so, because we also weren't able to get Gerry as he is booked. I would appreciate if you would update us on Lazaro when you return.

Thanks,

JoAnn

Hi JoAnn,

I woiuld be glad to get with you about Lazaro. Hopefully I will be able to have a link of some pictures of our trip too!

Julie

I've posted about him (Lazaro) earlier on this thread. He was great: friendly, knowledgeable, and accomodating. We had a blast. When we go back, I plan to book him again. He was a great guide!

Mary,

Thanks for the confirmation on Lazaro. I think I just about got all my plans made for our excursions. This really helps knowing someone else who hired Lazaro and really enjoyed their tour.

best,

Julie

I am so sorry about the photo. I have misplaced the CD that had it. I don't have many photos from the tour since I dropped my camera at our second stop and it broke....but we really enjoyed the other side of the island where the turtle nests were. I'll find it and try to post this weekend.

I think the whole point of hiring a driver would be to see the wild East side of the island. Personally, I'd just skip the shopping and spend my time at Coconuts or Chen Rio. Do the ruins tour first, stop at Coconuts for lunch and bring a t-shirt for the ceiling. Then if you want you can stop at Chen Rio for a swim. After that, continue south around the southern tip if the island then back up to PB.

How long do you think it would take to do all that?? We are booking a van for just 4 of us since none of us are average sized!! Our one friend is about 6'4" and 300 lbs, so I don't think a little station wagon would be confy. They have been to Cozumel many times and we have 3 times. We wanted to do something more than shop and Carlos and Charlies.

Why do you like El Mirador so much? Is it better than El Cedral. The tour I'm considering doesn't go there. It goes to El Cedral, Tequila Farm, Coconuts Bar and then the city tour.

I have not been to El Cedral so I cant compare but El Mirador is a very rocky area along the east coast. There were a ton of shells, water crashing over the rocks, and a nice beach. Here is a link to some of my pictures from Cozumel.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2311499760069756907tPUEuC

http://thisiscozumel.com/content/view/533/43/

El Cedral is a small village with about 10 homes, a small chapel and sm Mayan ruin. If you go you only need to spend about 15mins. El Mirador needs a longer time so you can walk out onto the coral bridge. Make sure you have good shoes becasue if you slip you will bleed. You can save time and $$ by skipping the Tequilla Factory as it is not a working factory. They will explain how it is farmed. I recommend stoping off at San Gervasio ruins which you will need about 1.5hrs.

What type of shoes do you recommend for the bridge? Are tennis shoes O.K?

Sandals? flip flops?

Curious on what type of shoes I want to wear for the tour with Gerry in Feb.

Thanks,

Kaye

I wore a pair of open back ked sneakers and was OK. I would stay away from flip flops. You can always bring a change of shoes with you too. ;) Gerry will just hold your stuff in the trunk.