hiring a driver for the day

tyson

This was my second experience with Gerry and he didn't let me down! I coordinated a group of 8 and we had a wonderful time with Gerry. He was waiting for me as instructed and was very easy to locate. We first went to a supermarket to pick up some beverages to place in a cooler that he provided. He drove us around the city and provided information of the city such as culture, history etc... We then went to the Koaka Chocolate Factory and afterwards we went to the San Gervasio Ruins. Gerry then took us to a place were we could buy local souvenirs. Because there was 8 of us it was difficult at times to herd us all together so that we could move on to the next activity so our time became pinched and we were not able to have lunch at Playa Bonita as planned. (But I have ate there before with Gerry and it was AWESOME!) Gerry took us back to the shopping district and offered to give an extra hour of his time so that we could shop quickly and shuttle us back to the port. When I return to Cozumel I will definately be requesting Gerry again!!!

(A side note about Eduardo) Eduardo handles the booking of the drivers and this guy is amazing! Every time I emailed him he was very quick to reply and offered suggestions of what to do while in Cozumel. Eduardo even emailed me after my vacation and asked if we were satisfied with Gerry.

If you're looking to hire a driver while in Cozumel I highly recommend Gerry or any other driver through Eduardo. Visit their website: http://www.toursplaza.com/eng/hiring-driver.cfm

Eduardo's email address: eduardoczm@gmail.com

I just sent in my ressie for a driver and am so excited! We are travelling me (dw), DH,dd, and MIL. This day is dd's 6th birthday. I was going to order a cake from carnival to have with dinner (6 pm early dining) but just had a thought if I should inquire about purchasing a bday cake from a bakery in Cozumel? Anyone ever have a special occasion in port?

My DH's birthday had been a week before, so the day we were in Cozumel our driver took us to a supermarket to buy him a cake. It was like Walmart, and was called something like Cheadroi, so at lunch time we sang Happy Birthday to him in a restaurant on the other side of the Island. The price of the cake, don't remember very well, but I think it was 12 or 15 dlls., there were more in different sizes, so we bought a small one, enough for us and our driver. He was happy! :)

My DH's birthday had been a week before, so the day we were in Cozumel our driver took us to a supermarket to buy him a cake. It was like Walmart, and was called something like Cheadroi, so at lunch time we sang Happy Birthday to him in a restaurant on the other side of the Island. The price of the cake, don't remember very well, but I think it was 12 or 15 dlls., there were more in different sizes, so we bought a small one, enough for us and our driver. He was happy! :)

Thank you! We are thinking of doing this but probably still have a cake at dinner onboard

We had Alberto as our driver when we stopped in Cozumel on May 4th. He was great, we wanted to see the wild side of the island so he took us to Punta Sur, Chen Rio and El Mirador. We had him drop us off at Playa Corona as we wanted to do some snorkeling for a few hours. We then took a taxi on our own back to the ship. All in all, it was a great trip with Alberto!

This is EXACTLY what I want to do. Do you think my adventurous DS13 would like it? We want to snorkel Playa Corona, but also want to check out Punta Sur, Chen Rio and El Mirador as well!

I contacted Eduardo and, as promised, he responded very, very quickly. Gerry was busy and he offered Leo, which would have been just fine with us. HOWEVER, we visited Tulum about four years ago and it was spectacular. The ruins at San Gervasio appear to pale by comparison. Unfortunately, Eduardo has no drivers that go to Tulum. Has anyone on this list been to Tulum after having docked in Cozumel? If so, any recommendations? Would the ship's tour would be best?

how quick did he reply i just emailed him and we are going to be there next week a lil behind on booking this......10/3 is when we will be there ..... i just emailed him off of his website but didnt see anything about a deposit will he ask when he emails me back.....cant wait sounds like fun

mike

how quick did he reply i just emailed him and we are going to be there next week a lil behind on booking this......10/3 is when we will be there ..... i just emailed him off of his website but didnt see anything about a deposit will he ask when he emails me back.....cant wait sounds like fun

mike

You sent this posting about 10 minutes ago. If you e-mailed him about the same time, my guess is that you have had your reply already. It took him less than five minutes to reply to me each of the three times I wrote to him.

MarilynandMark, if your heart is set on Tulum, then the ship excursion would be your best bet.

Getting to Tulum from Cozumel requires a 45 minute ferry ride (often rough), followed by an hour long bus ride, and limited time at the ruins. Be prepared--it can make for a VERY long, hot day. Taking the ship excursion ensures that if there are any issues in getting back on time for sailing (bus breaks down, the ferry is delayed), the ship will wait for you.

You might want to do a search on Cozumel to Tulum excursions on the CC site. I know there are several threads here with lots of information.

Good luck!

MarilynandMark, if your heart is set on Tulum, then the ship excursion would be your best bet.

Getting to Tulum from Cozumel requires a 45 minute ferry ride (often rough), followed by an hour long bus ride, and limited time at the ruins. Be prepared--it can make for a VERY long, hot day. Taking the ship excursion ensures that if there are any issues in getting back on time for sailing (bus breaks down, the ferry is delayed), the ship will wait for you.

You might want to do a search on Cozumel to Tulum excursions on the CC site. I know there are several threads here with lots of information.

Good luck!

Thank you for the advice. It sounds like Tulum is not going to work out - too much effort for what should be a pleasant day.

Well with all the great reviews here, we booked driver for the day on our cruise next week. We were assigned Alberto.

It's just my husband and I going, so we thought we would do the tequila tour, choc factory, playa bonita..and whatever else comes our way.

Anyone ever have Alberto ? Also, what have some of you tipped on your trips ?

Thanks !

Sorry about the excursion. I didn't mean to discourage you--just wanted to prepare you.

There are quite a few people on these boards who swear by the Tulum excursion from Cozumel. They say it's long, but absolutely worth it.

The ruins at San Gervasio are in no way as spectacular as those on the mainland, but if you're into history/archeology they are pretty cool.

If you're still interested, there are a lot of fun things to do and see while docked at Cozumel. Lots of great beaches, and very cool stops and scenery on the east side of the island. If you want to go off the beaten path, there are many choices there as well. That's the great thing about Cozumel--you can make it as relaxed or as active a stop as you'd like.

Hope you have fun, whatever you decide to do.

Sorry about the excursion. I didn't mean to discourage you--just wanted to prepare you.

There are quite a few people on these boards who swear by the Tulum excursion from Cozumel. They say it's long, but absolutely worth it.

The ruins at San Gervasio are in no way as spectacular as those on the mainland, but if you're into history/archeology they are pretty cool.

If you're still interested, there are a lot of fun things to do and see while docked at Cozumel. Lots of great beaches, and very cool stops and scenery on the east side of the island. If you want to go off the beaten path, there are many choices there as well. That's the great thing about Cozumel--you can make it as relaxed or as active a stop as you'd like.

Hope you have fun, whatever you decide to do.

My wife and I had visited Tulum on a previous cruise; maybe five years ago. It was spectacular - in my opinion, an eye opening experience - evidence of a very advanced civilization for its day. We could visualize the passage of mathematical and astronomical knowledge from generation to generation in their schools; actually see some of their infrastructure, and where their children likely played. From this amateur's point of view - I could easily be mistaken - they were at least as advanced as the European civilizations in their ancient time. I do not remember having taken so long to get there on our previous cruise. Is there another port closer to Tulum? We could do that on our next trip.

Well with all the great reviews here, we booked driver for the day on our cruise next week. We were assigned Alberto.

It's just my husband and I going, so we thought we would do the tequila tour, choc factory, playa bonita..and whatever else comes our way.

Anyone ever have Alberto ? Also, what have some of you tipped on your trips ?

Thanks !

We had Alberto, and he was great.

I have a number of pictures of our excursion in the Oasis review.

Was a great time, really enjoyed the east side.

We did no touristy things, just told him to get to the east side, hit some bars, beaches, had lunch at Playa Bonita.

We had Alberto, and he was great.

I have a number of pictures of our excursion in the Oasis review.

Was a great time, really enjoyed the east side.

We did no touristy things, just told him to get to the east side, hit some bars, beaches, had lunch at Playa Bonita.

Thanks !! Going to check out your review. We are at Embassy now staring at the port ! Cant wait to see the ship come in and get his party started !

Thanks for the post !

Thanks !! Going to check out your review. We are at Embassy now staring at the port ! Cant wait to see the ship come in and get his party started !

Thanks for the post !

Enjoy your cruise!

Not to hijack this thread, just a quick question-I'll be staying at the Embassy Suites in Dec.-pre-cruise hotel...in Miami...if you are staying at this one, do you know if you can book a shuttle-for a fee-to the port? If so, are there different times one can sign up for? Otherwise, I can just cab it.) Thanks!

Enjoy your cruise!

Not to hijack this thread, just a quick question-I'll be staying at the Embassy Suites in Dec.-pre-cruise hotel...in Miami...if you are staying at this one, do you know if you can book a shuttle-for a fee-to the port? If so, are there different times one can sign up for? Otherwise, I can just cab it.) Thanks!

We are at the one in Ft. Lauderdale, so don't now sorry. Here i do see a sign for "cruise " parkng, so i assume they have a shuttle.

We just kept asking local drivers in taxis for the best deal and finally agreed. Pretty easy. Our list was:

Drive us around to 3 geocaches in the city

Take us to our favorite restaurant in town and leave us for an hour or so.

Take us to a local grocery store for snacks and beer

Drop us off on the opposite side of the island to wander the wild beaches.

Pick us up about 3 hours later.

We got off the boat early as possible and was gone all day...we eneded up paying for the 3 of us 70 bucks.

January 2012

Anyone ever have driver Javier?? Just found this thread and booked with them for our cruise next week. We are traveling with our 14 yr daughter planning on San Gervasio,Chocolate factory,if the turtles are still nesting we can hopefully see them..any other family friendly place you all might suggest would be appreciated!

I have a question we have a tour booked in a station wagon for 4 adults is it going to be cramped??? or can they put us in a more roomy vehicile??? with tours plaza that is

The station wagon was big enough for our family of four. Both sons are over 6 ft tall but not very heavy.

I believe the 8 passenger van is $100 more expensive.

If the 4 adults are of average weight, you should be fine.

Anyone ever have driver Javier?? Just found this thread and booked with them for our cruise next week. We are traveling with our 14 yr daughter planning on San Gervasio,Chocolate factory,if the turtles are still nesting we can hopefully see them..any other family friendly place you all might suggest would be appreciated!

While we have never had this driver, I have heard great things about him .

I would also suggest the Lighthouse.... The waves on the East side are cool.

Only one bar. (Coconuts).. May not be your cup of tea....but there are neat restaurants to watch the surf from. And be sure to walk over the porous rock that the surf shoots up through ... That is cool...