twin beds on opposite sides of cabin?

MsKatee

We want to book a double balcony room on the coral princess. It says that in that category stateroom the twin beds an convert into a queen. Has anyone had their twin beds on opposite sides of the wall. Husband is a snorer and need that xtra space between to be able to sleep. I don't know if this type of cabin allows or is capable of that configuration? anyone know?

thanks,

mskatee

I am pretty sure that all the cabins come like that with the twin beads seperated- just let you cabin steward know you want them to stay that way and he/she will not make them up into a queen.

not at all.....you specify with your reservation how you want the beds....and often it is set up that way when you arrive...but sometimes it is now, and you just have to ask your Cabin Steward to change it.

We want to book a double balcony room on the coral princess. It says that in that category stateroom the twin beds an convert into a queen. Has anyone had their twin beds on opposite sides of the wall. Husband is a snorer and need that xtra space between to be able to sleep. I don't know if this type of cabin allows or is capable of that configuration? anyone know?

thanks,

mskatee

Having been a couple of different Princess cabins, just how would putting the beds an additional 24" inches apart make a difference?

It depends on the cabin set-up. When I've stayed in interior cabins on the Caribe deck, the beds' headboards were against a mirrored wall where a window would normally be. Each bed was against a sidewall with a space in the middle, albeit, not huge. Two, small nightstands were in the middle. One time I had this same configuration, but the beds were made into a full size. One nightstand on each side. Less room to walk around the cabin.

Now this last cruise on the Golden (Emerald deck), the beds were set up differently. We had an obtructed view window. The beds were, instead facing a side wall (mirrored) and one bed was against the back wall and the other one was out in the middle. So the beds were only separated by a small nightstand. Closer together than the other set-up. On the other side was another nightstand and desk. I actually liked this configuration better. We had a chair near the window, as well as the tv stand and frig. across from the desk. Felt like more space.

My grown daughter, who has allergies, will sometimes snore. She did a few times on our recent 10 day cruise. I would just yell out SHHHHHH! and she would stop. :) No problem, mon.

thanks,

mskatee

While I don't know specifically about the coral princess, we have had rooms that said 'twin' and it ended up being a queen that did not separate (my son slept on the couch rather than share the bed with his sister) (that was NCL). We have also had rooms were the twins did not go together for some reason, although the brochure and online said they did. I don't know if there's anyway for sure to find out ahead as some rooms are the exception to the rules as stated. Buy a good pair of ear plugs! :D

thanks,

mskatee

You have my sympathy.......................! I dealt with this for 32 cruises un until last week. There is only one answer to this problem in a cruise ship cabin, C-Pap. It was the first cruise I have ever been on where #1 ear plugs didn't mess with my inner ear and cause me to get land sick upon our return home. #2 I actually slept all night long and wasn't exhausted the next day.

I don't know the degree of snoring you are asking about, but I can tell you that a couple of feet apart won't make a lot of difference in a cabin. We always book mini suites or suites and even then it was impossible.

These new C-Paps are great. Quiet as a mouse and I could actually lay in bed and watch a movie with him sleeping right next to me and didn't have to turn up the TV. Needless to say, it was the most rest I had ever gotten onboard a ship in 20 years. :)

Best of luck, I hope you can find a way around this problem. Sometimes I think it is more annoying to the other half than it is the snorer! :(

I haven't been on the Coral, but I was just in a balcony room on the Island which is identical. If you are in a balcony room, there is no other wall you could move one of the beds to. The other walls have the desk/dresser, and the fridge/shelf/tv.

All you can do is keep the beds in twin configuration which would have them only a couple of feet apart.

I can sympathize - we took my Mom on a cruise once and she kept me up for 7 days with her snoring. :eek:

If all else fails there's always the balcony...:D

- Cindy

Wow I thought I was the only one with this problem! I travel once a year with my brother and my daughter (we live in different states so this is the only time that my daughter gets to know her uncle) well last year my daughter and I were so miserable, did not sleep a wink for a week!! Because of my brother's snoring, there was an older man in the cabin next to us that would actually pound on the wall at night his snoring was so loud!! so this year I am bringing an air mattress (with automatic inflator/deflator) to put out on the balcony for either me or him..a wedge for the bed, breathe right strips , nose spray, ear plugs... so I have to ask what is C-pap????? I'll try anything!! thanks Jean

so I have to ask what is C-pap????? I'll try anything!! thanks Jean

A C-Pap is a machine that is perscribed by a doctor. For the patient to get one, they have to undergo a sleep study in the hospital where they monitor the patient while they sleep. It shows them how bad the snoring is, how it disrupts that patients sleep patterns, how often they might stop breathing during the night (which most loud snoring people do, it is called sleep apnea). The machine pushes air into their nose (and in my DH's case, mouth also) so that they sleep peacefully. There is a mask attached to the machine that they wear to bed.

I have to say, it is the greatest machine in the world. DH was on one many years ago and they were large, clunky and loud. So irritating that he would no longer use it. Now, they are tiny, compact for travel and you can barely hear them sleeping right next to someone. (I actually thought the DH had died the first night as he hadn't slept that quietly since we have been married, it was simply amazing).

As said earlier, for me, it was a god send as his snoring bothered me a lot more than it bothered him. But, he doesn't fall asleep anymore everytime he sits down and he has far more energy then he did 10 years ago. Sleep is so very important to EVERYONE, some just don't realize it.

I first heard about c-pap on my 1st cruise, while chatting with a nice lady doing laundry. That chat may have saved my DH's life! He has been on high blood pressure medication for years, with little results. After 5 years of pleading, he finally submitted to the sleep study. He was diagnosed as having a sever sleep apnea problem which affected his blood pressure, as well as the oxygen level in his blood.:eek: He always had insisted that he was fine, and that it was my imagination when he stopped breathing in the night. Now he sleeps peacefully, and so do I, knowing he is in better health. I wish I could thank the friendly lady in the laundry room!:)

Hi MsKatee,

Our friends have the same problem and at home they have separate bedrooms but are still happily married! What they do is when they have to share a room, they bring a small machine that makes a "white" noise and they put it between the single beds and it seems to work well. Neither have the need for C-pap yet....:)

Before I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea I would find myself waking up and being paralyzed unable to move. Also, my husband said I would scream during the night and gasp for air. Unfortunately, I wish my husband had complained more about the snoring. If you have a loved one that snores loud please ask them to go to the doctor, you may save a life.

Before I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea I would find myself waking up and being paralyzed unable to move. Also, my husband said I would scream during the night and gasp for air. Unfortunately, I wish my husband had complained more about the snoring. If you have a loved one that snores loud please ask them to go to the doctor, you may save a life.

Wow-that is kinda scary. I wake up in the middle of the night and feel like I'm gasping for breath and my heart is pounding and I feel like I'm having a heart attack. My dr says it's just an anxiety attack but maybe I will ask about sleep apnea when I go to the dr next week,

Laura

We're on the Dawn Princess June 10th. The one thing I have been fretting about is my husband's snoring. Here at home, most nights I start off sharing a bed and sometime during the night his snoring runs me off. I end up in the spare bedroom. We use a white noise machine, but it is no match for his snoring. So, does anyone have any ear plug recommendations? Are any brands more comfortable than others? I've tried using them before without much luck. They just aren't comfortable. However, for a 10 night cruise, I will certainly give them a try.

What an interesting thread. I was thinking of starting a similar thread myself. There's no telling what helpful advice you will discover on this wonderful forum.

In the past, there was only one type of ear plug I used that actually blocked out everything. But do you think I can remember the name of it now? Of coarse not. ARGH!

They were purchased at a pharmacy and were made of 2/3 wax and 1/2 some type of foam. You have to hold them in your hand first to warm them up, then use them in your ears. They really did block out every bit of noise completely.

Only problem is, they really messed with my inner ear and I always became land sick after returning home when I had to use them every night.

BUT...............it was still worth anything to get some decent sleep onboard.

Archived