First time posting, questions on Maasdam excursions

chcats

I just recently became aware of this message board and have seen that there is a lot of useful information that is posted here. We took a cruise on the Statendam in 2003 through the inside passage in Alaska and really enjoyed that trip so decided to take another HAL cruise this summer. We are booked on the Maasdam for the June 2nd cruise from Montreal to Boston and I had some questions about the excursions. We are tentatively planning on the Peggy Cove's tour in the morning in Halifax. One question is does this tour just go straight to Peggy's Cove and back or does the tour stop at different points? I am really interested in photography and would like to stop and take some pictures of the scenery. Do you have to ride back all the way to ship, or will the tour drop you off at the Citadel since we would like to spend some time there as well? Also in Bar Harbor we were thinking of taking the Best of Both World's tour. Has anyone done this excursion and is it worth doing?

Finally is anyone else on this board taking this cruise?

Thanks for your input.

Cindy

I've never taken either of the 2 tours you mentioned but we've done this itinerary twice, once from NY to Montreal on the Rotterdam and once Montreal to Boston on the Maasdam. We liked the Cadillac mt. and lobster bake in Bar Harbor. Fabulous scenery and fabulous lunch. In Halifax we did "High tides and Fine wines", another great tour with excellent photo ops at the Bay of Fundy and the Annapolis Valley overlook. There is a great blueberry ice cream opportunity at the overlook stop.

This is a great itinerary and I hope you'll spend a day or two in Boston post cruise. We did, then drove to New Hampshire and the white mts and flew home from Manchester NH.

GN

[

COLOR=blue] We are tentatively planning on the Peggy Cove's tour in the morning in Halifax. One question is does this tour just go straight to Peggy's Cove and back or does the tour stop at different points? I am really interested in photography and would like to stop and take some pictures of the scenery. [/color]

We took a tour (not a cruise excursion) to Peggy's Cove a year ago and while it's an iconic lighthouse, that's really all, except for the souvenir shop and an opportunity to send a postcard with a special stamp. The drive is somewhat scenic, and on the bus tour, I recall one short photo op stop. We much preferred the city tour of Halifax. If available as excursions either the Cabot Trail or the bay of Fundy offer more interesting scenery, in my opinion.

You will love that cruise. Check our trip report and pics at

The Halls Cruise to Canada and New England

for some good excursion ideas.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Good morning!! Listen to MercedMike!! Because of his great review of the thermal spa, I booked myself a pass for my 10 day cruise. It was one of the best things that I did on my trip. I really loved the spa area,esp after a port day!!

Thanks MercedMike!!!:D :D :D

Hi Cindy.

I have not been to Peggy's Cove for a looong time, but IMO if you have a photographic eye, there will be lots of chances for pictures there - especially if the ocean is acting up a bit (kind of tough to hope for that one given your mode of transit there). Honestly it is one of my favorite places to go up that way - it is just out of the way considering the time it takes to get there and how much time you have in port. I opted to stay in Halifax last time and do the waterfront and the Citadel to save time. If you don't make it there, you should go back sometime. There is sooo much to see in and around Nova Scotia. Book a trip to Bar Harbor and take the CAT ferry across the Bay of Fundy - you can easily spend two weeks up there and not see everything.

As for Bar Harbor, there is a lot to see as well there. Cadillac is nice, but (once again IMO) there is tons to see (and photograph) elsewhere on the island. Last time I cruised there, we waited till we were sailing into port to check on weather and when it looked good, we called and reserved a harbor/nature cruise on our cell phone from the ship that let us see the cliffs up close, the seals at Egg light, the mansions, and a bunch of bald eagles up in the trees. We got back to land, had lunch, and still had time to take the trolley ride around the park. It's not a motor coach, but it's cheap and easy to book. I can't remember if it goes up Cadillac, but it stops at an overlook that gives a similar, albeit lower view of the harbor. It also stops up near Thunder Hole and the Otter Cliffs - great photo op's there too. Also, if my memory serves, you can get off and stay somewhere longer and take the next trolley back - they run fairly often. Check the Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce site for lots of info.

Once again, go back some time and spend a week or so there - I usually go once a year there and have yet to get sick of it after ten or more years of doing it. I will be going back this year in June (23) with my whole family on HAL, but find this stop frustrating because there is never enough time!

Good Luck!

(like pizza?? go to Rosalie's in Bar Harbor for lunch!! lobster costs too much now! LOL)

Good morning!! Listen to MercedMike!! Because of his great review of the thermal spa, I booked myself a pass for my 10 day cruise. It was one of the best things that I did on my trip. I really loved the spa area,esp after a port day!!

Well, thanks for that recommendation! The tours I like might not be for everybody, but if you consider just what you want to do, it is usually helpful to know what somebody else enjoyed.

And we DO enjoy that Thermal Suite! Glad you did too!

Dear Diva. Would you mind telling me how much you paid for a 10 day thermal suite pass. We're going to be on the Maasdam 35 days and wonder if they give you a break for booking two people. or perhaps you can book it in 10 day segments? Would appreciate any info you care to provide. Thanks, Joan G.

Thanks for all of the informative responses. It seems there is so much to do and so little time. In Halifax, we wanted to spend half of the day seeing scenery and the other half visiting the sites in Halifax. We have been to Bar Harbor before and seen Acadia National Park so I am trying to do some things that we didn't do on our first trip. The suggestion to take a nature cruise and trolly ride sounds like a good idea and I will have to look into that. We have been on the top of Cadillac Mountain so we don't have to necessarily do that again.

Mike, what a great review. It is really go me excited about our trip.

Cindy

Dear Diva. Would you mind telling me how much you paid for a 10 day thermal suite pass. We're going to be on the Maasdam 35 days and wonder if they give you a break for booking two people. or perhaps you can book it in 10 day segments? Would appreciate any info you care to provide. Thanks, Joan G.

You know, every time we have booked the Thermal Suite the deal has been different! Lately, we have been getting a "couples pass" and it is a pretty good deal. You can also pay a day at a time at a higher daily rate, and if you are only going to use it occasionally that can work out a better deal. The best thing is to go up the first day, get them to explain it to you COMPLETELY and CAREFULLY, and then figure out which is best for you.

Have a GREAT cruise!

On my 10 day cruise the rate for all ten days was $140 for one person and I think $250 for a couple. They had a limited number of one day passes at $20.

Trust me, after a day in port you will enjoy this!!

Happy sailing!

Archived