dawn questions

adjournthis120

Thinking of booking the Dawn Princess RT San Francisco to Alaska. Booking a balcony cabin. Any suggestions on which deck? I've only been on two previous cruises, RCL Adventure and Mariner. Will I be in shock over boarding such a smaller ship? Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Thinking of booking the Dawn Princess RT San Francisco to Alaska. Booking a balcony cabin. Any suggestions on which deck? I've only been on two previous cruises, RCL Adventure and Mariner. Will I be in shock over boarding such a smaller ship? Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

If you were speaking of a normal outside cabin with balcony, I would just say high as you can get for the view and amidship for easy ride.

Along with the ship being small, the balcony is EXTREMLY small. Total of 10’ X 3’ with a cut out in the hull of about seven feet wide, maybe four feet high.

We did an 11 dayer late last year to Mexico. This is one ship that the difference in an outside view versus and outside balcony would not be worth the money. The problem is the view cabins are at the extreme end of the bow. (Did the Sea Princess, 6 Th cabin from the front. We were ahead of the wake, only time the wife was extremely seasick.)

The balcony openings are cut-outs (of the hull). The cut-out size is largest on the Riviera deck and then progressively get a little smaller at each lower deck.

/Sultan

Balcony cutouts on Caribe are the smallest. Although these are small balconies, they are very private, and protect you from the wind :) So, IMHO, for two they are just fine. As far as the smaller ship goes, I like the smaller ships :) However, I feel like as far as Alaska goes, I don't know if the Dawn would be my first choice (and I love the Dawn). I say this because there are not a lot of public inside viewing areas (other than the HC). Not a lot of glass so to speak. Sometimes Alaska can get chilly, and it's nice to have those viewing areas that you can just hangout, and stay warm :)

The Dawn is the BEST for Alaska. DH is a photography geek, and the unobstructed front deck is the best place to shoot your photos! We were disappointed in the Coral, because all the glass prevented him from getting good shots. I guess it depends on whether you want your perfect photos, or want a warm place for viewing. There is also a great aft deck on the Aloha which is great for photography.

I was in a starboard balcony cabin on the Aloha Deck ( I love getting off the elevator and hearing: ALOHA... DECK ELEVEN) on the sea princess about 10 cabins from the aft. I LOVED THE BALCONY! I enjoyed it so much that I booked the same deck on the Dawn Princess (sister ship). Same cabin just on the port side. I would love to do it again. Ive been on grand class ships and I think as much as I enjoyed them, eventhough I had a much larger balcony on the Caribe Deck on both the Carribean Princess and the Star Princess, They dont compare to the sun class ships.

The Dawn is a perfect ship for Alaska. in my opinion you do not want a behemoth ship to intimately cruise Alaska.

While the cut out balconies are small they will be perfect for an Alaskan cruise.

I do not think you will be able to lounge and tan or have dinner outside unless the weather permits. But, than you are in Alaska not Cabo San Lucas.

We will let you know, we leave in 10 days:D Aloha deck starboard all most under the Dawn Princess sign.

jw

I would take the Dawn on this...we were just on the Sun and actually preferred the smaller balcony to the balcony we had on the Star and that one was the double sized balcony on the caribe deck. It was just so much more private and really protected against the wind...perfect for two people. The Sun class ships do have the open bow which makes for awesome picture taking. Aside from that....the Sun class ships are more intimate and seem to be more subdued in in decor which seemed a bit classier.....have fun!

Archived