Taxi or ?

pegsue

Taxi's in St. Thomas are outrageously expensive. I don't know where the American Yacht Club is, but with 5 people, you are probably better off with renting a car. I'd recommend public transportation if it is possible.

In St. Thomas, they charge per person and there is no discount for kids. It is regulated by the local government to flog your wallet (so you are not going to negotiate the price down). I spent $64 on a short trip to/from the beach for a family of 4 on a little open air bus. It was outrageous and offensive. As icing on the cake, we were also treated poorly (got kicked off the bus to another one because the drivers were fighting over whose fare we were supposed to be).

I'll never take a taxi in St. Thomas again.

Can you tell I had a bad experience? :rolleyes:

You have to take a taxi to get anywhere on St. Thomas. Unfortunately, the public transportation system is virtually non-existent. Taxis are also exensive! Based on a per person cost, not destination!

If you mean "American Yacht Harbor," that is on the eastern most point of the island in Red Hook. It is approx. $9 or 10 per person from the capital of Charlotte Amalie. The only "yacht club" is the St. Thomas Yacht Club which is also in the east and almost as expensive.:eek:

Taxi's in St. Thomas are outrageously expensive. I don't know where the American Yacht Club is, but with 5 people, you are probably better off with renting a car. I'd recommend public transportation if it is possible.

In St. Thomas, they charge per person and there is no discount for kids. It is regulated by the local government to flog your wallet (so you are not going to negotiate the price down). I spent $64 on a short trip to/from the beach for a family of 4 on a little open air bus. It was outrageous and offensive. As icing on the cake, we were also treated poorly (got kicked off the bus to another one because the drivers were fighting over whose fare we were supposed to be).

I'll never take a taxi in St. Thomas again.

Can you tell I had a bad experience? :rolleyes:

Wow. That's outrageous. Bet it kind of put a damper on your day and your mood. You're not the first to mention this kind of problem, which makes me wonder how we managed to luck out with the taxi we took to Red Hook and back. I'm beginning to think we got the only "good" taxi/bus driver on the island. I'm sorry you had such a lousy experience, and thanks for giving a heads up on this.

beachchick

• 3 weeks later...

Archived