Shopping In Alaska

Outhouse

We are cruising South Bound on Island Princess on 08/28 and need some shopping hints. We leave out of Whittier and stop in Juneau, Skaqway and Ketcikan. We have shore excursions at each port so our time will be limited. Specific advice will be appreciated. We will be mostly interested in area specific ideas. Canned Salmon, etc.... Thanks in advance for your help!

I just returned yesterday! In all three ports, there is an abundance of shopping. Seems like the shops carry pretty much the same things. In Ketchikan, there is a shop that carries canned and vacuum sealed salmon, of various grades. It is two blocks to the left of the Radiance dock. They ship all over, for a reasonable price. The name is of course escaping me now, but I will post it and the address if I find my receipt. The other souvenir item that I found everywhere was the Ulu knife. It is a kitchen knife with a curved blade. They start at $1.99 (CHEAP=avoid!) and go up to hundreds of dollars for beautiful ones with carved handles of antler etc. I bought one for about $32 that came with a cutting board. They seem pretty useful. Other than that, there is something for everyone!

Address for the salmon shop is Salmon Etc. 322 Mission St., Ketchikan. Canned salmon is about $6. I bought a 20 oz sampler (4 individually sealed packets) for $32 plus $8.50 for shipping to Southern California. I tasted the canned salmon, and it was very good!

Perhaps they were higher in Ketchikan, I didn't notice. When it's the last stop, if you don't get it there, you aren't going to get it! Perhaps all the store keepers are plotting against us unsuspecting tourists and counting on our frenzied-I-don't-care-what-I-pay shopping!

In Ketchikan there was a candy shop called Ketchicandies (I think that is right) that was just a block or so from the ship where we docked. They had a huge selection of chocolates, truffles, and really good chocoloate covered oreo cookies. I am sure that anyone in town can point you in the right direction if you are interested. Hope you get to go.

Hello Outhouse!
We found a splendid collection of Alaskan Figurine Collection made by C.Alan Johnson. He creates figurines that embody the spirit of Alaska.We purchased Mae and Walking cub...at PRUELL'S - Tom Sawyer's, 132 Front Street, Ketchikan.
Have a wonderful cruise!

I found Juneau to be more expensive. I bought some Northern Lights candles in Skagway. Then I decided I wanted more as gifts. When I found them in Juneau, they were almost $2 more for the same thing. In Ketchikan they were the same price as Skagway.

I found an amazing pink sapphire ring at Royal Jewelers in Ketchikan. They were having a "pink and blue" trunk show and had tons of pink sapphires! I asked for a free gift and they gave me a loose 1 carat blue sapphire too!

FYI, if your cruise offers it, take the free charm bracelet coupon with you to the Diamonds International stores at all the stops and get your free bracelet and charms. Love the free stuff!

Archived