Big bucks in Bermuda

Cruisesquatch

No this thread isnt about deer hunting.

*ALL PRICES QUOTED ARE IN US DOLLARS*

Theres an Irish pub called Flanagans near the dock that was recommended to me. We got there about 12:45 in the afternoon and waited in a small line. I really was looking forward to this place because I knew it would be the closest to authentic fish-n-chips that I've ever had.

We finally got a table after about a 20 minute wait and were seated at a table for two just inside from the balcony. Cricket matches were on the flat-screen TV's in the corners.

Without going into too much detail, the wait for our food was kinda long (45 mins) and I was pretty upset and hungry when it finally arrived. I ordered 2 Cokes, 6 hot chicken wings and the 2 piece fish-n-chips. The fish portions were good sized, but I was expecting them to be a little more crunchy, but the taste was pretty good. They were served with a basket of seasoned fries.

So how much do you think my bill was? In case you forgot, 2 Cokes, 6 wings and 2 piece fish lunch.

Ready? Are you sitting down? 36.95$

Gratuity AUTOMATICALLY included!!! 4.96$ IIRC

The minimum wage in Bermuda is 15$ an hour!

A loaf of bread is 5$

Rent for a small 2 bedroom nothing special house is 3500$ a month

The clubs are small and get over-crowded quickly. We went to SPLASH at 10:30pm and were literally the only ones in there. Came back at midnight and it was shoulder to shoulder people.

Dress code also.

If you go to club SPLASH at night, martinis are 14$ each (Must've seen the look on my face. Bartender:"Welcome to Bermuda!" Yeah, right)

A man told me his waitress girlfriend at Flanagans regularly pulls in about 2k a week. At those prices with tips automatically included, I can see why. Its definitely not because of the great service.

Anyway I just wanted to give everyone whos never been there a little heads up, so you dont fall over from sticker shock.

If you go to Club Level, beware its a bit more shady looking crowd, still high priced.

We did find a nice little sports bar type place on the main street that seemed a lot more comfortable.

But would I go back? You bet I would... but now I know how much to bring with me.

When I was in Bermuda in 1995, I was told by some local residents that the import tariff for automobiles was 150%. If you do the math... that means your little $10K beater car (for lack of a better description of a $10K car) suddenly cost $25K, plus shipping! (And that "shipping" is in the literal sense!)

And you don't see many $10K beater cars... we did see a lot of little Audis and BMWs.

I was told that Bermuda inflates the economy to draw wealthy tourists. I don't know how true that is, there are obviously increased costs due to the shipping requirement for nearly everything, but yes indeed, it is easy to spend a lot of money there.

This is one reason that a cruise to Bermuda is one of the more economical ways to visit. At least you can get a "free lunch" on the ship... :)

Theron

OK think like this, where does most of the food come from? It's shipped in... Yes the fish was probly local. Sorry but Hawaii isn't much cheaper, why because it's a island. Cost to ship isn't cheap.

We flew to Bermuda last summer. In preparation we bought Frommers book on Bermuda. It stated that if you could find any meal to include breakfast under $25/person you were doing great. Never could find a meal under $25.

We are going back this year on the Empress of the Sea and plan on eating on board as much as possible.

We flew to Bermuda last summer. In preparation we bought Frommers book on Bermuda. It stated that if you could find any meal to include breakfast under $25/person you were doing great. Never could find a meal under $25.

We are going back this year on the Empress of the Sea and plan on eating on board as much as possible.

You can eat lunch at the Swizzle Inn for under $25. They even have an English Breakfast all the time that was somewhere between $10 and $15. I have actually just had the fish chower or the Red Bean soup for around $5 or just an order of fries seasoned or the nachos when with a group and one of the soups. I have been there a bunch of times and never spent more than $15 for the food part at lunch times. Frog and Onion at lunch has stuff around $15. I think fish and chips was around $15. Burgers and fries around $10.

The above tales demonstrate why cruising is the most economical way to visit Brermuda. Nobody mentioned the hotel taxes and fees they surprise you with when you check out. Astronomical.

Rachel Ray did Bermuda for $40 a day! :D

she had breakfast, lunch, dinner AND a rum swizzle! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Rachel Ray did Bermuda for $40 a day! :D

she had breakfast, lunch, dinner AND a rum swizzle! :)

I need to travel with Rachel. I am on Journey on September so I hope the food is great on board. Can't have my husband kill me for world's most expensive holiday.:eek:

I watched that episode of $40 a day w/ Rachel Ray. I have it on my DVR actually. ;)

Her breakfast was a scone and a coffee. Her lunch was a bowl of fish chowder. Her dinner was curried chicken. So if you eat light for breakfast and lunch, then dinner prices don't look so bad. LOL ;)

I think she only had like 20 cents left over, so she cut it close!

I watched that episode of $40 a day w/ Rachel Ray. I have it on my DVR actually. ;)

Her breakfast was a scone and a coffee. Her lunch was a bowl of fish chowder. Her dinner was curried chicken. So if you eat light for breakfast and lunch, then dinner prices don't look so bad. LOL ;)

I think she only had like 20 cents left over, so she cut it close!

I also watched that episode. If was fun seeing familiar scenery. But if you remember she had free water to drink at lunch and dinner so that she would have enough for the rum swizzle a the Swizzle Inn. The fish chowder at the Swizzle Inn was only $5 and the hamburger was about $8 and both were delicious. It was affordable if you didn't overindulge on the Rum Swizzles. The problem is that is why you go to the Swizzle Inn in the first place.LOL We would like to try Aggie's Garden and Waterside cafe as she did, as the view seemed lovely. The Hog Penny Pub is good for lunch but forsaking an English Ale for water seems like too much of a sacrifice. I think we need to stretch it to $50 a day. It is so much hard work to make Bermuda affordable, which is why the cruise ship is such a bargain. Breakfast and dinner on board and you save so much money, even with eating lunch off the ship.

I'm just looking forward to the Rum Swizzles. My DH and I have already prepared ourselves for the sticker shock. We have the Frommer's Guide to Bermuda which gives you a price range for each meal. We've also looked up a couple of places online (Pickled Onion, Hog Penny, etc.) I think we'll just be grabbing either snacks or lunch off the ship. Why pay for an expensive dinner when it's provided for free on the ship? ;)

Archived