Winchester-Question for Pondhopper

Pondhopper--Read in another thread that you live in Winchester. We will be stopping in Winchester on our way from Southampton to Heathrow. We will be in Winchester on a Sunday morning (about 9am) and have found out that we can view Winchester Cathedral from 9 to 9:30 in between services. We then plan to go to The Great Hall to see King Arthur's Roundtable. We will only have a couple of hours in Winchester on our way to the airport, but I wondered if you can think of anything not to be missed on a Sunday morning in Winchester. Thanks for your help.... Fran

I also would appreciate any tips on what to see or do in Winchester. I plan on taking the bus over from Southampton on either Fri Aug 31 or Sat Sept 1.

Is there an inexpensive place for a good lunch in town?

Doug

:p Hi Derek, Tis me again,

Just read Denverite's post re you being local to the Winchester area. We have booked a night B&B in the New Forest to break the journey and of course giving hubby a well deserved break from our long drive up from the north.

I wondered ( hope you don't mind me asking you)if you know Crawley at all...it's just that my grandparent lived there many-many moons ago and I hope to visit the area and take a look at where they lived . Can you recommend a pub/restaurant in the village or area at all, maybe being local you will know.

I haven't been back for ******:eek: years and it would be a great opportunity to take a walk down memory lane while I can.

Btw Derek, have booked 2 weeks on the Ventura Oct 2008....:D have you any info/advice to offer as you did re Oriana...I found your comments invaluable and very interesting.

Thanks Jan:)

The Fox & Hounds at Crawley is okay if you like straight forward pub fare.

I note you are staying in the New Forest:

Best dining to be had at the Three Lions at Stuckton (sounds like a pub but isn't) - cuisine is excellent - shame about the decor - rather "cheesy" - but the chef/patron knows his cuisine.

Le Poussin at Brockenhurst. Aitkin, the chef patron was delivering great cuisine in the days before so called "personality" chefs, and still does.

Chewton Glen, New Milton - Haven't been there for years - reputation still high (Member of Relais et Chateaux)

~~~

Winchester: Old Chesil Rectory - excellent cuisine - best in the city

also Hotel du Vin is quite good.

The Fox & Hounds at Crawley is okay if you like straight forward pub fare.

I note you are staying in the New Forest:

Best dining to be had at the Three Lions at Stuckton (sounds like a pub but isn't) - cuisine is excellent - shame about the decor - rather "cheesy" - but the chef/patron knows his cuisine.

Le Poussin at Brockenhurst. Aitkin, the chef patron was delivering great cuisine in the days before so called "personality" chefs, and still does.

Chewton Glen, New Milton - Haven't been there for years - reputation still high (Member of Relais et Chateaux)

~~~

Winchester: Old Chesil Rectory - excellent cuisine - best in the city

also Hotel du Vin is quite good.

Thanx Derek,

We will be staying in Lower Densome, Woodgreen, so The Three Lions sounds perfect being just 4.1 miles from the B&B. Just looked it up on the good old AA Route planner.

The cheesy decor won't matter as long as the grub is good!:p

Appreciate the info

Jan

I love the sound of the Old Chesil Rectory...may manage that en-route back home.;)

Hi Fran.....and DougH and Monocled Mutineer:

Mutineer...do you mean The Wykeham Arms in Winchester? Nice review on them at dine-online.co.uk. Planning to lunch there on way from London to Southampton in August. (I think they called Winchester College students wykehamists?) Assuming same place? Do you have a favorite menu item?

Thanks, Martha

Hello,

The Wykeham Arms is the pub the students are Wykehamists, I love the Wykeham for drinks and lunch (NO KIDS ALLOWED THOUGH), another highly rated that I enjoy is the Black Boy just behind Wolvesey Castle, for a very varied menu, good food and family friendly place (kids enjoyed) try The Queen several hundred yards from the Wykeham (also if you miss the lunch hours at the Black Boy or Wykeham as The Queen serves all day everyday. http://www.accommodating-inns.co.uk/wykeham/ (link for the Wyk)

I think the Cathedral is an ideal site for an hour or so; Try to take the Crypt tour, its very interesting and if you are spry (with no children under 11) take the tower tour for an unbeatable view of the city! http://www.winchester-cathedral.org.uk/

I also LOVE the church of St. Cross! You should go and be sure to ASK at the entrance for the WAYFARER'S DOLE; if you don't ask you can't have it! the river walk is lovely between the Cathedral/Wolvesey castle, to St. Cross. That would fill up several hours quickly (the Wyk & Queen are on the way between Wolvesey and St Cross if you take the road as opposed to the river walk and the Black Boy is just out of the way by Wolvesey castle. Wolvesey castle is a ruin but very romanitic, very impressive, and you get to get right up close to it. King Arthur's round table (a fake as it is only about 800 years old (only!)) is interesting. There is a small roman artifacts museum in the Brook Center shopping area (only worth it if you need to kill time, otherwise you get as much of interest in the Guildhall museum). The tours of Winchester College are nice but probably eat up too much of your time with the rest.

The Hotel du Vin is very nice BUT expensive. If you are looking for nice and not budget concious just out of town (on the way to Crawley by the way) is the Langstone House hotel and restaurant - they have a great informal Sunday tea! Drinks are pleasant and a chance to see the old manor house - dinner is VERY expensive, luch is also expensive! Chesil Street Rectory is very nice and now does lunch but their hours are pretty restricted and the prices are not for the budget concious. For a fresh croissant or french pastry and great cup of coffee go to the Bridge Patisserie (say hello to Maura the owner) or if you want to stroll with a nice baguette sandwich and coffee use their take away service. They are on the bridge just down from King Alfred's statue and a short walk to the Cathedral.

:p Hi Derek, Tis me again,

Just read Denverite's post re you being local to the Winchester area. We have booked a night B&B in the New Forest to break the journey and of course giving hubby a well deserved break from our long drive up from the north.

I wondered ( hope you don't mind me asking you)if you know Crawley at all...it's just that my grandparent lived there many-many moons ago and I hope to visit the area and take a look at where they lived . Can you recommend a pub/restaurant in the village or area at all, maybe being local you will know.

I haven't been back for ******:eek: years and it would be a great opportunity to take a walk down memory lane while I can.

Btw Derek, have booked 2 weeks on the Ventura Oct 2008....:D have you any info/advice to offer as you did re Oriana...I found your comments invaluable and very interesting.

Thanks Jan:)

Near Crawley in Littleton is the Running Horse, several friends have reccommended it to me, I haven't tried it yet but many people make the drive to it so I'm sure it is nice. If you're visiting the area, I would try Winchester and do the drive to Crawley (Crawley is lovely but not much there to visit, more a nice drive to enjoy the views and houses and visit old haunts, IMHO).

• 4 weeks later...

Pondhopper,

Hi, I noticed on one of your threads that you lived in Southampton and now reside in Winchester. Would your recommend my staying in the Holiday Inn Express on Red Bridge Place or the Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker, the difference in price is $100. (All of this is moot if there is a heat wave as the HI Express does not have A/C and the Holiday Inn on H W does. I'm planning on taking the National Express Coach from Heathrow and am arriving on 8/8 ar around 2 PM. How far are these two hotels from the Bus terminal? I'm planning on going to Winchester after I check into the Hotel. Should I take the bus or train to Winchester?????

Thank you. Chantal

Archived