Question for 10X & Bruce-r...about discover scuba.

Snorkelcat

:confused: Hey you two,
I have been here long enough to read many posts from the 2 of you and know that the answer you give will be an honest, well thought out one. You have seen my posts as well.
Obviously, I am a snorkeler. I have snuba'ed and I have been in a pool with full scuba gear on 1 time with a coworker who is a Dive Master + 'everything else Master' you can be.
So, that is my experience. I can't seem to find a snuba trip for St Martin, so I am considering the Discover Scuba excursion so I can get down to take better photos. The 2 reasons I have not gone ahead with classes and certification are: 1. I do not need another expensive hobby! (have 3 already!!) and 2. the fact that I will have to take the mask off under water and have water shoot up my nose scares the absolute hell out of me. My Mom started me in swim lessons at age 6 with a nose clip and I have rarely been in water with out one on. That was 46 yrs ago.
So.....will they make me take off the mask? Mike didn't, but he knew better 'cause I am his supervisor! :D
What's your opinion? I did really well with snuba. My friend was a bit nervous, so the dive master stayed with her most of the time & let me do my thing, watching me from a distance. Mike thought I did well for a 1st timer in the pool. (I did the pool before the snuba)
I am anxious to hear what you have to say. Thanks.

I don't think that you will have to take off the mask underwater for a discover scuba experience. I think that is only a skill that you have to demonstrate if you are getting certified. That was a had part of my certification too. When we did the pool lessons, I really felt uncomfortable with the mask off. I didn't get water up my nose, but it was an effort to remember to carefully breath slowly thru my mouth. Like most things, it got easier with practice. Now I have been known to flood my mask on purpose to get rid of fogging. It is easy enough to clear the water out and I can see again. Important for photography.

I think you'll have a blast, especially if you enjoyed snuba. While the scuba gear is kind of heavy on land, it is almost weightless underwater and you will be free to move around, more so than with snuba and the hose attached to a raft at the surface.

As I understand it, discover scuba is only an orientation thing to see if you think it would be something you like. It's done in fairly shallow water with an instructor right at hand. You won't have to demonstrate any special skills or do any fancy moves. Just relax and enjoy. For some it's a way for them to see if being underwater, without a reference to land, bothers them. My wife snorkels but can't stand not being able to lift her head and see land periodically, so this is not an option for her (although I've tried).

Like Bruce said, in actual training you will have to remove your mask, put it back on, and clear the water from it. This really isn't a big deal because it is so easy to do, and I have never gotten water up my nose. It's a safety thing for you, just in case you accidently knock off your mask. You will at least know how to put it back on and clear it. To do this you blow water into the mask, through your nose, so water in your nose isn't likely with all the air coming out.

Jumping into the water without a mask could force water up your nose, but when scuba diving you never do this. The mask is always in place and you hold it there with one hand as you enter the water. That way it won't come off.

Nose clips really aren't necessary because you never breath through your nose when doing scuba and the normal process of NOT doing this pressurizes the nasal passage sufficiently to keep water out.

As far as being expensive, I can't help you there. I've spent a couple thousand dollars on my stuff, but that's where it ends (not including camera equipment). You just use your gear over and over, hundreds of times. I can dive here for a $5 tank fill for air, or $10 if you want to rent the tank, including air. So it's pretty cheap once you own your gear. Full gear rental here is $35, including tank and air. Full gear rental can add up after a while and will eventually become more expensive than buying your own.

With that said, I initally took my time buying my own gear. I did not just rely on one dive shop for information. I went to several, including those out of town, made several telephone calls, tried on lots of stuff, and read lots of articles and Internet postings before I made up my mind. I eventually bought some stuff from the dive shop where I got my training, some from another local dive shop, and some from the Internet.

As a word of caution, I would NEVER recommend you buy any piece of equipment on the Internet that is needed to save your life. Stuff like a dive light, weights, dive slate, etc. are fine. But not your regulator, BCD, gauges, etc., that you rely on every dive to give you information to keep you alive. You need to have someone to go to when you have problems and have annual servicing, as well as someone to handle warranty issues. A dive shop is your best bet for these items. A bit more expensive, but don't hesitate to ask for a package discount. You'll almost always get one.

Lots of information is available at: [url]www.scubaboard.com[/url]

Enjoy!!!!!!!

Thanks you two! I am seriously thinking about doing the discover scuba trip. I could probably get Mike to take me to the pool another time if I wanted before I go. Oh, I stand corrected on what he is....he is a Master Instructor. May actually be either the only one, or one of 2, in the state of TN. I think I offended him by calling him what I did! I don't know the titles??????? :eek:

Later,
Snorkelcat

Archived