Unrest in Turkey

DuggerPDX

Anyone's thoughts on the recent unrest in Turkey and how it might play out for tourists? I'm on the June 17th Insignia cruise, Istanbul to Rome, right now I'm not too concerned, but I am monitoring the situation.

My feelings are that the military will not let religious unrest upset the country or it's chances of entering the EU, they have a history of using their influence to keep the country secular.

From reading the latest on the Turkey situation and the election of a new President, I feel that the country will be a bit volatile until after the elections this weekend and then it should get back to normal.

I know there was a huge rally yesterday in the middle of Istanbul for May Day. I love Turkey and hope that this unrest will just fade away. It is such a great country to visit.

Jennie

From reading the latest on the Turkey situation and the election of a new President, I feel that the country will be a bit volatile until after the elections this weekend and then it should get back to normal.

I know there was a huge rally yesterday in the middle of Istanbul for May Day. I love Turkey and hope that this unrest will just fade away. It is such a great country to visit.

Jennie

I am not sure one can assume that the Islamists will back down this time and that will put the more secular (but not entirely secular and certainly less secular in the lowers ranks than 10 years ago) military in a tight spot. Things may not go back to normal or fade away this time.

Archived