Explorer of the Sea: 4/22/07-4/29/07 Review(long)

This was our first cruise on Royal Caribbean and my wifes very first cruise. We got to Miami a couple of days early and stayed with some friends. Miami is not what I thought it would be but it was still fun. We got to the port around 11:15 and we were on the ship at 11:20. I swear it was that fast as long as you have your information filled out on line before you get there and you have your passport and credit card out when you get to the desk. By 11:30 we were in the windjammer having lunch.

The ship is amazing. There is barely any signs of wear on this ship. You see employees all the time cleaning this ship and making sure things look great. I spent a week explorering and everyday I think I found something new. We headed to our cabin about 1:00 and everything was ready. We had a balcony room on the nineth floor on the port side about 4 rooms from the aft. Having a balcony is so great. I can never go back again. We slept with the door open everynight. Our room attendat Rene was really nice and always had our room clean. The dinning room is so big. Our waiter Kline and assistant Juilo were really nice and always got us everything we needed. Besides them, Irelynn, the bar waiter, was always there with our drinks. The food was really good in the dinning room. The windjammer is ok but definetly not better than the dinning room.

Our first stop was Belize. The city is a little run down but still the people are really nice. We booked a snorkle trip through Star Tours. We had to take a water taxi to an Caye Cuakler island, about 40 minutes by boat to start our tour. It was great. We saw stingrays and the great barrier reef. I could go back to that island and stay forever. In Belize we had to tender in. Tendering sucks but we got through it.

The next stop was Costa Maya. I love this place. We left out of the port and went to Mahahual, about 2 minutes away. When we got there we found the Cats Meow based on the recommendations on the boards. It was great, we sat under a tent all day and drank and ate. My brother and I even took our lounge chairs and sat in the water and drank. I could stay here all day also. The owners of the Cats Meow came out severl times to make sure we were having fun. I totally recommened this place. Every body in our group got message at the tent right next door. $20 for 45 minute message. You can't get that on the ship.

Next stop was Cozumel. This place is grat also. We hired a taxi to take us all over the island. We stoped at the small Mayan Ruins. Make sure you like to walk here as everything is spread out. We also visted the Tequila Museum and had the best maragritas of all time. Thats hard to beat since I live in San Diego and we have some pretty dam good ones. We also went to the east side of the lsland. Not much over there but it is really great to see. Did a little shopping and came back to the ship.

Last stop was Grand Cayman. We took a taxi to Hell and mailed a post card and did some shopping. This island was my least favorite since all the shops was like being in the states. They are so americanized and thats not what I want to see when I am on vacation in the Caribbean.

On the ship we didn't really see any shows since my wife and I like to gamble but we did see the quest. If you have never seen this one, make sure you go. It is really for adults only and for those of you that have gone before, I did loose my diginty that night with some of the things I did.

We docked back in Miami about 5 am. According to our bag tags we were supposed to get off between 7:30-8. They called ours while we were eating breakfast and so we went off right after that. I think we walked off about 7:45 and we were through customs and had our bags before 8.

I would defenilty do this ship again. To bad it is going to New Jersey so I propably will never see it again.

Thanks for the review,a dn glad you had a great time.

What cabin were you in? I'm sailing soon, and am also in a balcony, 9 port side several cabins forward from the aft.

I may be lucky enough to have Rene!

Happy sailing,

Wendy

Explorer was our first RCI cruise after doing CCL. Then we did Mariner. it is very similar to Explorer so do not be sad that you will not do Explorer again since you do not wish to leave out of NJ. Just book Mariner out of Port Canaveral. Much easier than Miami too. And a few days in Orlando or at Cocoa Beach before makes for a nice time too. Glad you all had a great time. Next time when on Grand Cayman, just go to Eden Rock. There is a small deck and a small beach area---you can snorkel right into the ocean off a ladder and rocks leading down. Very nice snorkel area surprisingly.

And then you can relax with some drinks from the restuarant there. they ahve some "pet" fish there that circle the area since they feed them. They are about 4 feet long--no teeth we were told. lots of nice reefs within swimming range.

Why, you wouldn't come to NJ to sail the Explorer on a 9 night cruise???

I wouldn't do it either. I just really don't like New York, too big and dirty for me. I like to stay at least a night pre or post cruise and staying in NYC just doesn't seem like a great end to my vacation :eek: . The plus side to it, though, is that airfare to New York is usually a lot less than Miami for us.

We really did have a great time. We were in cabin 9668 about 4 from the back I believe. I don't have a problem with New Jersey, I just don't see leaving for the Caribben from there. That would be to many sea days. Hopefully we will see her back in Florida some day.

Next time in the Caymans I would probably do an excursion. Did find a cool watch though for me and my wife, so it wasn't a loss at all.

I think New Jersey is just Explorer's summer run, you'll see her again in Florida, unless she's going to do Bermuda runs year round out of Bayonne.

Did you have Capt Ryan?

She will be year round. Bayonne will now be her home port.

Enjoy! :)

Archived