How to they determine seating?

I have cruised before but with a group and sat at dinner with people from my group. This fall my wife and I are cruising alone. Does anyone know how carnival assigns seating. I have requested a time, but more specifically I am wondering if they look at ages and couples are do they just assign tables randomly.

First post, great to be on the board!

Hi, in my experience, they will try to seat you with other couples around your age group, but you just never know. If you don't like your tablemates, you can request to be moved, you may even be able to request a table for just the two of you. Hopefully you will like them, because chatting at dinner with new friends is a special part of cruising!! You could try calling your TA or PVP and ask them specifically to seat you with others in your age range, etc... Have a great cruise.

After a bad experience being seated with strangers, we requested a table for 2 this last cruise. We didn't get it, but tried our table anyway. It was a table of ten . Only 8 showed up and it was all couples. I guess we ranged from mid 30's to mid 60's. But it worked out great. Everyone was very friendly and we had a nice time every night just a chatting away. I do believe that Carnival tries to pair the right cruisers together.

On our recent cruise we were seated at a table for 10 but only 8 of us showed up each night. One couple was probably in their 50's, another in their late 40's, one couple in their early 30's, and we are late 30's & mid 40's. We all hit it off and had great conversations each night. I was pleasantly surprised how much we chatted!

I love chatting with tablemates during dinner, everyone usually does different, interesting things in port, and it's a great way to get another perspective about the port you just visited (and give you ideas for your next cruise!). You'll meet people from all over the U.S., if not the world, and most cruisers are great people. :)

my wife and i are 29 and 31 and we cruised for the first time last week on the inspiration. We were put at a round table with about 4 other couples ranging from about 26-31.

They were all also first time cruisers. I thought that was pretty cool

DH and I have either been very lucky on our past two cruises, or Carnival is very good at table-match-making. The last cruise was especially good. We were at a table for 8, and hit it off so well with our tablemates that we usually had to be run out of the dining room so that they could clean up. We could have talked for hours. Some of us were experienced cruisers, and some were first-timers, so that wasn't it, but somehow all of our personalities clicked.

Have a great trip!

On our honeymoon we were seated at table for 8 with three other newlywed couples. On our last cruise (with kids) we were at a table with another couple with one young child. She was in a highchair and not really talking yet, so not much in common with my DDs but we had nice dinner conversations with the parents. On the first night the last seat was filled with a retired lady traveling solo. Not having anything in common with her tablemates, the MD was able to move her to another table.

I have cruised before but with a group and sat at dinner with people from my group. This fall my wife and I are cruising alone. Does anyone know how carnival assigns seating. I have requested a time, but more specifically I am wondering if they look at ages and couples are do they just assign tables randomly.

First post, great to be on the board!

I think they use either a Weegie Board or a Magic Eight Ball.

At any rate, by the number of people lining up to throw something at the maitre'd prior to the first dinner seating on the first night (he's smart enough to send the ASST. maitre'd for this trial by fire) is immense. It is almost as virtually NOBODY is happy with their seating assignments.

On a cruise at Christmas/Hanukkah time in 2005 we were a party of six.

Somehow, we were assigned to a table for six at the early seating, and the other two couples were at a table for four at the late seating. BRILLIANT!!!

It was changed on the first night. Most of the unhappy folks are given the seatings they desire by the second night.

On our cruise this summer, for our 35th anniv. and my 60th bd, we requested a table for two at the late seating. We'll probably wind up at a table for eight with six other strangers. But that will be corrected.

BnB

I am wondering if they look at ages and couples are do they just assign tables randomly.

Just like the coca-cola formula and the Bush's Baked Beans recipe, it's a closely guarded trade secret. Only 'Duke' knows and he ain't telling.

We are traveling with another couple and the TA cross-referenced our reservation with theirs. Does anyone know if this cross-referencing will also allow us to sit together at dinner?

Steph

That is why they cross-reference, so you will be seated together at dinner.

It has always seemed to me that they set it up with a little mix. Always couples with couples. In my case. Always seem to mix the age group to.

This has always been fun and have met many nice people. From 20+ years older to 20+ years young. Still stay in touch with many of them......

I guess I just might have been lucky over the years....but...I think most people just go and relax and socialize......:)

I'm eager to see where I'll end up. My reservation lists early seating, but I don't know if that is the 5:45 or the 6:15. I'll be happy if they put me with any group. I'm looking forward to making friends at dinner, whether they are singles or couples doesn't matter to me.

If you are traveling with children, do they try to seat you with other families with children? We are leaving Sunday with our 7 & 10 year olds, it would be fun for them if we are seated with other children similar in age.

If you are traveling with children, do they try to seat you with other families with children? We are leaving Sunday with our 7 & 10 year olds, it would be fun for them if we are seated with other children similar in age.

We are a family of three, my daughter is now 13, been cruising with her since she was age 7. We have always been seated with other families with children close to the same age that she was in the dining room. I believe that Carnival does an excellent job as far as pairing kids close to the same age group at dinner. Enjoy your cruise !!

welcome aboard geaux_aces,

Our last cruise was last month aboard the Sensation. Had a wonderful time. Only problem was dinner times got messed up. I requested early seating for 3 when I booked the cruise 6 months before sailing. Got to the port. Got our sign and sail cards. I did not look at them right away. After awhile I finially decided to look at the S&S card. That is when I noticed that they put us in late seating for dinner. I was furious. Went to see the Matre'D that afternoon. He told me that the early seating time was full. I said how did we get bumped from early when I made our cruise reservations months ago. He told me that they like to put the families with small children at the early seating. He did tell me that he will put me at the top of the list and after the dinner that night if there are 3 seats available for early seating we will get them. I was notified the next day. When we were able to go to the early seating times, we noticed alot of other families with teenagers who were not bumped like we were. We had our son with us who is a teenager.

One morning while at breakfast in the dining room we sat at a big table with several families. One family had 2 small children. They requested late seating and they were put in early seating.

My guess is that they are trying to satisfy everybodys request. Only some of us get bumped because there is not enough room in that seating for that family. I think they should look at when the person booked before changing their request.

I think Carnival does an excellent job in this area. I usually cruise solo and last year on the Sensation I was seated with 3 other ladies traveling solo. I looked forward to dinner every evening. I think they do try to match you with cruisers of like age, etc. I have never been disappointed with my tablemates.

Happy Cruising!

Pam:)

Archived