My children say no more cruises. What

No it is a parent is a parent. When my parents decided to go some place we had to go or stay with grandparents. We were the children, they were the parents. I see nothing wrong with this.

My parents took one week a year with us children and one week for themselves. I see nothing wrong with this either.

My sons when they were living at home never questioned going on vacation. They loved going. Of course we planned our vacations together. That way no one got bored. We discussed where we were going and what we could do there. They had some say in things.

I guess if you call this bad parenting then go ahead I do not. But few of their friends have been on 3 cruises and Disneyworld several times. I call those pretty darn good vacations.

Was not questioning your parenting skills.. my reaction was to the way you worded your response to the OPs question.;)

Personally, I can't imagine spending 3 1/2 weeks in Hawaii and only going scuba diving a few times!!! How boring -- there are so many other things to do there that cost money. I would want to see something of the area

I didn't say we didn't see or do anything... everyday was an adventure. I just didn't need to pay for it. We were on Maui, by the way.

For instance... folks would pay to go snorkeling at $90 a head... only to anchor in a bay that they could have driven to (8 miles away) and parked and spent the whole day there, snorkeling for free. A day didn't go by when whe didn't snorkel at one of the many beautiful beaches and bays on Maui.

We went hiking around just about every place we could on Maui... probably places many wouldn't have thought to. We did the tourist shopping many times in Lahiena and other places. We organized beach party pot-luck dinners with other guests staying at the condo... 40 to 50 people would participate, including a local musician who would entertain us... all for fun... and for free.

We had cocktail hours every night at sunset with folks from the condo... sharing our day's events with each and gaining insite on the next day's activities... gaining new friendships. And everyone always looked forward to blowing their conche shells right as the sun well down... never any less than 10 people participating.

Bottom line is... you don't have to spend money for others to take you on excursions that you can do yourself for free.:)

NO way going to Hawaii is less than a cruise. No Way! I'm doing Hawaii this year in June and it's going to cost much more than a 7 night mexican or caribbean cruise with a balcony cabin.

Yes... going to Hawaii costs a lot less than a cruise. You show me a 25 day cruise for 5 people that only costs $8500... including airfare. Like I said, I could have gone $800 cheaper had I not opted for a condo smack on the beach in West Maui... I could throw an ice cube into the ocean from my condo Lanai (balcony) we were so close to the water. We had a corner unit with a 270 degree view up and down the beach.

Now... can you pay a lot to go to Hawaii...? You bet... but you need not to.

I agree with the poster who said to try a Disney, land-locked, vacation and then go back to cruising. if your kids still don't want to go and you enjoy cruising, I'd let them know that cruising is where you are going and they can stay home if they want!

I'm not knocking what you spend... But I have a hard time believing that most of the folks who spend a lot on vacation can actually afford it in the long run.

Yes... maybe I could afford to take my kids too if I didn't add to my 401K.

But you have to admit...that $20K is likely about 50% of take-home pay for many... not gross pay... but take home pay.

I make a good living... but honestly... I don't know where folks come up with the money unless they are not saving for retirement... or the like. I have to believethat most do not have goof financial skills... or they wouldn't be spending over their heads.

I'm sure there are people who cruise or take other vacations all the while being very irresponsible, i.e. they are not saving for retirement, not putting enough into an emergency fund, not establishing healthy college funds for their children, loading up on credit card debt that they cannot pay off, etc.

There are others who cruise a lot because they save their money, are frugal in their daily spending habits, buy less house than they might so that they have more discretionary funds, and watch for special rates like hawks. They can well afford to cruise and they do.

Then there are people who just happen to have big incomes. They are saving for retirement, providing for their children and extended family, establishing educational trusts for their kids or grandkids, giving of their time and money to charity on top of it all. They can afford to take many vacations and go first class the whole way.

So when you see all these people on vacation, you really have no way of knowing whether or not they can really afford it in the long run. You might be shaking your head at someone thinking they are probably up to their ears in debt when in fact they are multi-millionaires.

Point being, on a cruise ship with 2500 or more passengers, you will see the whole spectrum of incomes/spending habits represented.

Yes... going to Hawaii costs a lot less than a cruise. You show me a 25 day cruise for 5 people that only costs $8500... including airfare. Like I said, I could have gone $800 cheaper had I not opted for a condo smack on the beach in West Maui... I could throw an ice cube into the ocean from my condo Lanai (balcony) we were so close to the water. We had a corner unit with a 270 degree view up and down the beach.

Now... can you pay a lot to go to Hawaii...? You bet... but you need not to.

Wow, that sounds great. How did you find this condo? We stayed at the Grand Wailea and would not do it again.

Well, we have been in your shoes before. We are fortunate to be able to afford nice vacations and take at least 1 big one a year. We have been on 2 cruises, 2 All-Inclusives(Mexico, Punta Cana), California trips (Yosemite, San Fran), Colorado(RMNP, Steamboat), Florida(beaches and Disney 5x). In any case it is always hard to decide what to do. This year we asked all 4 kids (18,17,17,12) to put their vacation "wishes" on paper. I told them dad and I would review and try to come to a conclusion as to what best fit the budget, timeframe, etc. We had absolute veto power. DD picked Hawaii (too expensive for us - almost $6000 just to fly), Europe (too late to plan and too hard for a large family to house), Alaska (needed more than a week and DH didn't have) Sons picked caribbean cruise (all three of them), or AI in caribbean. Needless to say the cruise won out and I picked an itinerary that I wanted. They are excited again to cruise and at least felt like they had a hand in the choosing. If your kids don't want to cruise I would like to recommend an all inclusive on the Riviera Maya, Jamaica, or the Dominican. These are wonderful vacations - no nickel and diming mom and dad to death. Plenty of decent food, drinks included, excursions available, - esentially a cruise on land instead of sea. I would highly recommend the Iberostar chain. They are excellent.

VentureMan_2000

First of all I'm taking a deep breath before replying to your single minded comments. You don't know any of these people and you cruise yourself. Not that it's any of your business but my DH and I both work ALOT and we take great trips but we plan and budget for those trips. We have credit cards but we pay them off immediately so we don't have "debt" because of cards. We both make really good incomes and we believe in working towards the future! If I don't leave a lot of inheritance to my kids, I'm sorry but I also WON'T be leaving them with debts either. So before you start placing us in your hypocritical "columns" by category as people who don't think about the future and just spend frivolouslyl, you should really keep your mouth shut!

Ok, off the soapbox but this one made me really mad because we count on being really responsible!

Its very suprising to me that your kids are saying they are tired of cruising. What cruises did you go on? How long where they? Depending on what ship and what time of the year they cruised they may not have had a lot to entertain themselves. I think the best cruises for kids are during the summer or school break times where they can meet other kids their age and enjoy themselves together.

VentureMan_2000

First of all I'm taking a deep breath before replying to your single minded comments. You don't know any of these people and you cruise yourself. Not that it's any of your business but my DH and I both work ALOT and we take great trips but we plan and budget for those trips. We have credit cards but we pay them off immediately so we don't have "debt" because of cards. We both make really good incomes and we believe in working towards the future! If I don't leave a lot of inheritance to my kids, I'm sorry but I also WON'T be leaving them with debts either. So before you start placing us in your hypocritical "columns" by category as people who don't think about the future and just spend frivolouslyl, you should really keep your mouth shut!

Ok, off the soapbox but this one made me really mad because we count on being really responsible!

Wow..this post took the words right out of my mouth!!!

VentureMan_2000: I,too, am curious about what spend much on vacation and how people can afford certain things.... BUT that curiousity would never lead me to start calling people names and imply that becuase one spends so much on vacation they much be bad with money or that they aren't thinking about their future. HOW--can you say things like this when you have no idea about anyone's personal situation. I would think that most people on these CRUISE forums have money and make a good income.

VentureMan_2000

Ditto. I think it is quite presumptuous of you to dictate a total stranger's socio-economic background and whether or someone elses money would be better spent in an Oppenhiemer Fund than with Carnival.

Archived