New Port and Laerger ship in JaxPort's future?

OhioJeff

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/050207/bus_166961484.shtml

The property being considered is a wedge-shaped 6-acre parcel near the former bridge from Heckscher Drive. The property borders land owned by the U.S. Marines Corps on the island.

The port's current cruise terminal, at Dames Point, was designed from its opening in 2004 to be a temporary facility. The main problem with the site: Because ships have to deal with the Dames Point bridge and low-hanging power lines to get there, the size of the vessels that can use the terminal is limited.

Right now, the Celebration - the only ship based in Jacksonville - is one of the smallest ships used by Carnival Cruise Lines and one of the few ships that can actually get to the terminal. If Jacksonville is to grow that side of its business, it needs to be able to handle larger ships.

Although Carnival won't talk about specifics of future plans, it will say that Jacksonville has been a good market, with ships routinely going out more than 100 percent full (more than two people to a room). "Without a size limitation on what class of vessel we can bring into Jacksonville, it certainly opens the door to greater possibilities," said Carnival spokeswoman Jennifer de la Cruz.

The spot under consideration does present some challenges, primarily because of its size. At about one-fifth of the 28 acres where the temporary terminal sits, the Blount Island site would require the facility to go vertical, with a three-story terminal and multi-story parking garage. The river would also need to be deepened by 4 feet and a turning basin would need to be created for the ships.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/050207/bus_166961484.shtml

The property being considered is a wedge-shaped 6-acre parcel near the former bridge from Heckscher Drive. The property borders land owned by the U.S. Marines Corps on the island.

The port's current cruise terminal, at Dames Point, was designed from its opening in 2004 to be a temporary facility. The main problem with the site: Because ships have to deal with the Dames Point bridge and low-hanging power lines to get there, the size of the vessels that can use the terminal is limited.

Right now, the Celebration - the only ship based in Jacksonville - is one of the smallest ships used by Carnival Cruise Lines and one of the few ships that can actually get to the terminal. If Jacksonville is to grow that side of its business, it needs to be able to handle larger ships.

Although Carnival won't talk about specifics of future plans, it will say that Jacksonville has been a good market, with ships routinely going out more than 100 percent full (more than two people to a room). "Without a size limitation on what class of vessel we can bring into Jacksonville, it certainly opens the door to greater possibilities," said Carnival spokeswoman Jennifer de la Cruz.

The spot under consideration does present some challenges, primarily because of its size. At about one-fifth of the 28 acres where the temporary terminal sits, the Blount Island site would require the facility to go vertical, with a three-story terminal and multi-story parking garage. The river would also need to be deepened by 4 feet and a turning basin would need to be created for the ships.

wld be nice to have the option of an expanded port not limited to smaller class vessels

Well, being that I live in JAX I definitely would like to see this happen.

We prefer the larger ships, and alas, even though Carnival does embark from our city, we still get in the car and drive down to CC to get on the larger class boats.

Living in JAX myself as well I would love the bigger ships to come here. Would give me more options and I would most definately cruise more often. I only live about 15 miles from the port, so it would be so easy to get on the ship it almost would seem too good to be true.

Living in JAX myself as well I would love the bigger ships to come here. Would give me more options and I would most definately cruise more often. I only live about 15 miles from the port, so it would be so easy to get on the ship it almost would seem too good to be true.

If I were 15 miles from the port I would cruise once a month on the Celebration. You are a lucky to live so close

I have a question since you live in Jax...We are staying at the Best Western Jacksonville Airport on a Sail/Stay package...Is my truck going to be safe to leave here for the week? and is this a nice hotel?

TIA,

Keerle

Archived