Cabin Selection for 3 & 5 y.o.?

pianomom

I'm hoping to get some good feedback for cabin selection on our upcoming cruise. We're planning to go on RCCL's Explorer of the Seas for a 9-day Eastern Carribean cruise (sailing out of Cape Liberty on June 22). Our cabin choices are limited since it's less than 2 months from the sail date, and we're trying to decide what would be the best option. Any comments/suggestions from those of you who have cruised a lot would be great appreciated. Here are the options:

1) 2 connecting oceanview cabins on deck 2

2) 2 connecting balcony cabins on deck 7

3) a junior suite on deck 9

Obviously, the first option is the least expensive, but there's only a slight difference in price between the 2 balcony rooms or the JS. My questions have to do with the balconies - is it safe to get a balcony room with such small children? Can you block access to the balcony fairly easily? What's the difference between being on deck 2 or being on one of the higher decks? On EOS, the Junior Suite comes with a bathtub - is it worth having that option?

Thanks in advance for your help!

since your kids are young, 4 in one balcony should not be an issue spacewise, if quads are available on your ship. Also, I had a 2,5,7 yr old on a cruise and they were never out on the balcony alone. Not sure they could even get the door open (carnival spirit alaska)

I will not cruise without a balcony anymore, it also gives a place to go when the kids go to sleep

happy sails!.

I have not cruised with our kids yet, but we chose a JS for our upcoming cruise (kids will be 3 and 6). I am not a paranoid mom by any means but do not feel comfortable having my 3yo in a separate room (regardless of balcony). He's just too crafty. That said, they will be sharing a sofa bed and that could be problematic. So we'll see what happens.

Balcony rooms are pretty safe as long as you use common sense. Of course, no child should ever be on the balcony alone, and keep the door locked when inside. Most doors have a high latch, above a child's reach. The doors are also hard to open, but some 3 year olds can do it.

The tub is nice for baths, but I wouldn't take a mini-suite only for that reason, especially since most kids that age will do ok in a shower. The best thing about a mini-suite is the extra room. I'm sure you can get by fine in a regular balcony cabin, though, since your kids are small. Connecting rooms would also be great, if you can go for the extra expense.

I much prefer connecting rooms over a single suite. You have an extra bathroom with connecting rooms, and that is much more valuable than a bathtub. You also have a door you can shut between the rooms, and that's nearly priceless.

Our boys have done fine in their own, connecting room. They are 3 and 6 now, and have been in a connecting room three times over the last couple years.

I'm afraid I can't speak to the balcony. We haven't done that, yet.

D

I’ve never sailed on Explorer so I don’t know the differences with the decks. That said, in your situation, I think I would go with the connecting balcony cabins. I completely sympathize with the dilemma of trying to get two young children to sleep in one sofabed and if the cost is virtually the same, I’d go with the convenience of having the individual beds since you can keep the door between the two cabins open at all times.

Most balcony cabins have a small sofa/sofa bed in them. You could back the sofa up to the sliding door of the kids cabin to guarantee that they will not even try to get out there. Just use your own balcony for the cruise where you can monitor where they are.

The bathtub in the JS is nice to have for younger kids who are not used to showers, but the showers have handheld showerheads, so it’s not as scary as a regular shower.

• 2 months later...

We cruised in a junior suite on Navigator with our 2 sons aged 14 months and 4 years in 2005 and are cruising the Freedom with the boys (ages 3 & 7) in a JS again in just a few weeks.

We loved the JS for the extra room, balcony, tub and most of all Walk in Closet. Our boys slept great on the sleeper sofa. The walk in closet was the best! Plenty of room to store the stroller and the car seat - neither of which we used while on the ship. The closet also doubled as a changing room. With two young boys the lack of an extra bathroom wasn't an issue at this point.

FYI - we didn't feel that the balcony was a safety issue. The boys were not able to open the balcony doors by themself and were never unsupervised on the balcony. The balcony was also a great place to hang out with a good book and beverage while the youngest napped in the afternoon!

I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise whichever option you choose!!

We sailed the Sovereign last June and got 2 connecting cabins on deck 2 for our two kids, but ours are much older. It did make me a little more comfortable not having the balcony with my 5 year old (because she's crazy :rolleyes: ) but I missed it tremendously. I just didn't trust her having one in her own cabin at that time. This year we're getting a suite on the Fascination for the 4 of us, and plan to use the balcony as our "alone time" since we'll all be in the same room.

I liked the two cabins, but found them a little small. Personally...I'd do the Jr. Suite...but I'm a balcony snob. :)

Archived