Tell me the most helpful and important item to bring on my cruise!

oraf7

I will be sailing on the 8/1 Crown Princess. Loved the CB and did a pretty good job thanks to these boards but having a brain freeze so please help me get the list ready. I will be sailing with 3 kids so my 1st item is

1. Walkie Talkies

A nightlight for the cabin so the kids can find the bathroom without turning on the lights

I found a couple of magnetic clips useful on my recent cruise, we left messages for our cabin steward & eachother on one & the daily schedule on the other, if its up on the wall its easily visable

My NUMBER ONE suggestion would be to bring a cheap over-the-showerhead-caddy for all you shampoo, soap, conditioner, razor, washcloth, etc. The ship we were on (Crown) only had one very tiny (about a 4 inch long 1/2 circle) space to put everything into. We take a full size bar of soap and it took up the entire space.

The hole was tall and had a bar running across it about 1/3 the way up, but the bar was useless because our small shampoo, etc was too small to sit on it.

Trust me, bring one and you will be VERY HAPPY.

a couple of things I found indispensable (all suggested by CC members!)

1. One of those hanging toiletry bags with pockets (my DH bought me a great one from Lands End)--hung it on hook on bathroom door...it held all my toiletry items in zipped pockets and open pockets--very accessible--no confusion on the bathroom counter (made it easy for steward to clean too)

2. highlighter for princess patter

3. ziploc bags --I put wet bathing suits in them at the beach. Packed sandwiches (ok, it was a clean bag!) for a shore excursions

I love the laundry bag idea above--we used plastic grocery bags but not as good. You don't want to mix the dirty laundry with clean clothes!

Enjoy your cruise!

Kids are 19, 16 and 10 so it won't be bad. Love the laundry bag idea and the highlighter and all the others.....thanks I am going to print this for my 1st time cruiser cousins and their 3 kids....Can't wait for the Crown!!!!!

An extra large bag to put in front pocket of your suitcase in case you are over the 50 lb. limit

repack put all the shoes in it and heavy toiletries and send it

i was 3 lbs over and they made me repack or they would have charged me 25$ per bag!!!

-Batteries

-Extra hangers

-a lunch box and a few water bottles you can fill up daily

-a hoodie

-a laundry mesh bag

-extra t shirts to use as cover in case of sunburn or to swim with

-bug spray especially in Mexico

-extra caps or hats -my kids always lose at least one

-slippers -avoid feet problems -no walking barefoot in cabin

-ice -its a sunburn product -works real well on bad sunburns

put a few clothes of each traveller in all suitcases

on Freedom OTS they lost my bag so I had no clothes except the ones in my overnight case for first sea day Needless to say I was not a happy camper

i had to borrow the kids t ****rs

thank heaven they found it next evening

now i will distribute all clothes in 3 suitcases just in case it ever happens again

a good attitude and a smile to enjoy everything

Michele

We just throw all our dirty clothes back into the empty suitcase we store under the bed.

Something that is rarely mentioned but used often by us is a small tote bag. We use it when going up on deck and want a holder for just a couple things like a book and MP3 player. It also comes in handy when shopping in the port to hold all our small purchases. We always take a huge one that can hold towels, etc. but really need both.

I have my list somewhere of a bunch of "little" stuff that I bring, JUST IN CASE.

backup reading glasses

travel sewing kit

very small first aide kit

smallest roll of duct tape you can find. yes, there are 1001 uses.

small pile of one dollar bills, room service is not part of the auto tip program

leatherman type of multi tool and/or swiss army knife. be sure to put in checked luggage.

IF taking electronic gagets, power strip or "octopus plug"

cheap "jelly roll" type bag. fold or roll as small as possible and pack inside your largest checkin bag. if your stuff is overweight, transfer stuff to the "extra bag". on the cruise, it can be used as a hamper. gifts bought on your trip take up room. and extra bag going home may come in handy.

most of this stuff stays in our "cruise bag" and is never unpacked.

GET YOUR MIND INTO CRUISE MODE A.S.A.P.

For a tongue-in-cheek guide to cruising, you can download my free e-book called "Cyn's Fabulous Guide to Cruising" - based on a character from my novel, "Real Women Wear Red." You can find it from the link to my blog in my sig line.

Okay, so I love to write and I love to cruise and it was only a matter of time before I merged the two. It helps me relive my cruises. :)

In case you're wondering, I used to post on this board more often back when we cruised more often. Then we moved from California to Florida, thought we would cruise more, but ended up cruising less. So now I write about it but hope to get back onboard soon. And then I came up with a new screen name - "Romancing the Sea" seemed more appropriate than "RichKat."

Archived