Ketchikan / Skagway excursions

kcbmarek

I've read up on this as well... don't have a lot of money to go on some of those pricey tours, but I think the Totem Park is a good one for Ketchian. I would love to do a dogsled in the Skagway area, but for 400 per person? Not. I've heard the train ride is good though. Never been to Alaska, first time cruiser (going in June). Will be interested to read other responses.

Scarlett 3 ~ We are currently booked for a helicopter glacier and dog sledding tour in Skagway but have decided that we would rather spend the $900 that is costing us on a couple of excursions versus just one. Thus the reason I am inquiring. We will be on our honeymoon so we do not want anything to active - heavens we are leaving our three teenagers behind so we might sleep and enjoy the quiet the whole time :p .

Have you gotten ideas for the other ports of call? When are you cruising and with who?

In Ketchikan there is a large building on the pier where tours of various kinds are sold. Sometimes the weather isn't the best there, and you can make plans when you arrive. We also found the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center a few blocks from the ship to be quite interesting, especially in the rain.

In Skagway the Forest (Park?) Service runs a walking tour for free. You have to sign up at the old railroad station on the main street. Nancy

Scarlett 3 ~ We are currently booked for a helicopter glacier and dog sledding tour in Skagway but have decided that we would rather spend the $900 that is costing us on a couple of excursions versus just one. Thus the reason I am inquiring. We will be on our honeymoon so we do not want anything to active - heavens we are leaving our three teenagers behind so we might sleep and enjoy the quiet the whole time :p .

Have you gotten ideas for the other ports of call? When are you cruising and with who?

I'm going with my parents, brother and boyfriend. We're all over the age of 35 and looking for a unique family vacation. My parents have wanted to go to Alaska for a long time. So far, we're planning on taking some of the walking tours in Juneau, see the totem park in Ketchikan (as well as shopping) and the train ride in Skagway...

Maybe rent a car in Skagway for less than $100 and enjoy a scenic drive to the Yukon and Emerald Lake. You can go as fast as you want, stop when you want, and see what you want.

I second this idea and we did it last year.. very relaxing and rewarding..

In Skagway the train is a no-brainer. There's a reason why it's so wildly popular. If you're looking for something relaxing with some of the most stunning scenery on your cruise, take the train. Myself, I took the train in the morning and then did rock climbing in the afternoon. The train was easily the second best thing I did on the cruise, after a spectacular Juneau kayak tour.

We did the train in Skagway and it was great! In the afternoon, we stopped by the park service office and picked up the walking tour brochure. Some of the buildings were interesting and it was nice to learn the history behind them.

In Ketchikan, we didn't make any pre-arrangments. When we got off the boat, there were lots of tour operators soliciting cruisers. We ended up hopping in a van with one of them for $20 person. It was a great tour and took us to the cannery to see TONS of eagles diving into the water for salmon scraps (this was a highlight of our trip and we walked back to the cannery - private property - and tipped the owner $10 to stand there a while and take pictures). After the cannery, the van took us to the totem park and we watched the carvers in action. The guide explained the different totems to us. We also stopped a few other places and saw bald eagles nest and I think a waterfall (it was a few years ago, I dont' quite remember).

In Ketchican, we took a float plane to Neets Bay, landed on the water, and walked thru the woods to a fish hatchery. There was a waterfall and six black bears eating salmon out of the river. We were very close. It was like a scene out of National Geographic. The ride on the float plane and seeing the bears was a real highlight for us. Will never forget this experience.

Have fun.

Archived