Limit on luggage?

oraf7

There is a weight limit somewhere per bag I think, but it is around 200# (if remembering correctly) per bag. Otherwise, there are no restrictions on the number of suitcases you can bring onboard a ship. One thing to keep in mind though is that you are also going to have to store all this stuff in an area most find a bit on the smaller side, and re-pack it. The less you bring, the more time enjoying the ship you will have. Packing is never a problem, but re-packing always takes too much time. :)

We were given 9 tags with our cruise docs. We had 6 suitcases and a case of beer and a case of water. No problemo.. I bet I could have checked more. They don't weigh the bags like the airlines do. So when we got to our pre-cruise hotel, I added items into our suitcases that we puchased at the grocery.

The baggage handlers took all of the suitcases off of our hotel shuttle bus before we all got off, we didn't even claim which bags were ours, they just started loading them up in the luggage crates. The luggage, of course should have their cruise luggage tags on them prior to arriving at the pier...

We had 6 suitcases and a case of beer and a case of water.
Pardon me for asking. Were you a large group of people. Six suitcases sounds like a lot for 1-2 people. Just curious :D ;)

If I'm remembering correctly, on our last cruise we had two large suitcases, two plastic crates (bottled water, Pepsi, etc.), garment bag -- those we checked. Also a duffel bag with our girl's booster seat, three backpacks, a guitar case that we carried on. The suitcases and crates we didn't fully unpacked -- some clothing we put away in the closet and drawers -- and placed under the beds.

This was for three people for 15 days. Fortunately, we drove in to the port.

Pardon me for asking. Were you a large group of people. Six suitcases sounds like a lot for 1-2 people. Just curious :D ;)

They probably need that many for all the groceries and drink stuff they mentioned they were hauling aboard. :rolleyes:

Jatet Foste or any one else....How did you get a case of beer on board?

You can either carry it on or slap a baggage tag on it and give it to the porter. :)

There was a wine group on our Island Princess cruise last year and they brought on 60 cases of wine with no problem. :eek:

I am back:

Fuzzzy :We had so many suitcases because we were having a surprise birthday party and brough lots of decorations, gag gifts, plus we smuggled in lots of booze, one of the smaller bags had nothing but liquor in it.. we also had a Magic Bullet Blender.. We had 12 people in our party and 4 of us had cabins next to each other. We had the steward open the balcony doors so we could walk all the way down to each cabin and we all brought our rolling ice chests (the kind that look like a suitcase) and sat them on the balcony. We had two large suitcases and then the rest were smaller suitcases with one being a rolling icechest.

MIDNIGHTNMAX : As for the soda/beer and water. We just put a cruise luggage tag on it and it went right along with the rest of our things when we arrived at the port. We flew from Dallas to Ft. Lauderdale so we didn't purchase the grocery items, soda/beer or water until we were in Florida. So we didn't have to take it on a plane.

So you'd think we'd have a small bill at the end of our cruise by bringing so much stuff?? No, it was still $1,000. I shudder to think what the bill would have been had we not brought all the fun stuff along.

IT WAS A BLASTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

I hope I answered everyones questions, if not.. let me know :p

You can take a rolling suitcase as long as it can fit through the scanner like the airports have. But why not let the porter take it so you don't have to lug it? We also locked up our suitcases prior to handing them over to the porter as we weren't worried about anyone taking our clothes.. it was our BOOZE we were worried about :eek:

Have a great time everyone!

You can take a rolling suitcase as long as it can fit through the scanner like the airports have. But why not let the porter take it so you don't have to lug it? We also locked up our suitcases prior to handing them over to the porter as we weren't worried about anyone taking our clothes.. it was our BOOZE we were worried about :eek:

Have a great time everyone!

You had no beakage problems with checking the stuff? I guess I don't worry about water bottles breaking but I always bring no caffiene sodas for the cabin and I would worry about them exploding if I checked them.

We were given 9 tags with our cruise docs. We had 6 suitcases and a case of beer and a case of water. No problemo.. I bet I could have checked more. They don't weigh the bags like the airlines do. So when we got to our pre-cruise hotel, I added items into our suitcases that we puchased at the grocery.

The baggage handlers took all of the suitcases off of our hotel shuttle bus before we all got off, we didn't even claim which bags were ours, they just started loading them up in the luggage crates. The luggage, of course should have their cruise luggage tags on them prior to arriving at the pier...

how did you handle the water/beer. Carry on or with reg baffage? thanks!

mommykim:

The plastic bottles with booze in them, and a dish towel wrapped around them and then had each one in its own zip lock bag. Hefty makes the 2.5 gallon size. Big enough to put a bottle or two inside. No breakage. Not even flying.. There was enough cushion with the other bottles and towels. Plus as I stated we didn't carry glass. If we were worried about anything breaking or leaking, the towel would absorb and the ziplock bag held the dish towel.

Just for good measure, my sister duct taped the cap on her "water bottles"... but I didn't do this. (it was her first time so she was a bit more cautious.) So you could say she was a VIRGIN BOOZE SMUGGLER...

If we were really concerned I guess we could have wrapped everything in bubble wrap.

butterflycruise:

When we bought the water/beer and soda in Ft. Lauderdale, we put the cruise luggage tags on it. Then we boarded the shuttle to the pier the next morning and when we arrived at the pier, the baggage, plus everyone who had cases of water/beer and soda.. those items were taken by the baggage handlers along with our other luggage and we didn't see any of it again until it was all sitting by our cabin door. IT was pretty funny seeing all the stuff we had just piled up there by the door.

Even if for some reason you didnt' have enough luggage tags for the cruise.. the baggage handler people have bunches of them and you could get them to give you some. Plus we tipped them very nicely..

We did not carry anything on ourselves.. I just had my purse. We sent every thing through the baggage handlers.

If any of you have never been on a cruise before, let me tell you it isn't like going to the airport. Once your transportation gets you to the port, the baggage handlers are there at your vehicle or bus. They very quickly start unloading everything and you never see it again until you find it all stacked up by your cabin door. So don't feel you are lugging it all into a terminal and then checking it in like you do at an airport. This is why you should have the cruise luggage tags already on the baggage and water/beer/soda prior to getting to the pier.

On our last cruise, in March of this year, my carry on items were 1 small suitcase, my purse, and a small tote bag with my knitting in it. My husband had a small suitcase, a briefcase, and a tote bag with some Sprite and snacks in it. About the same that we always carry on.

While we were standing in line to check in, one of the ladies who works for Princess came up to us and told us that on future cruises we would only be able to carry on one bag plus a personal item like the airlines do. She said that ONLY 2 items per person would be allowed. Has anyone heard anything about this?

I can't imagine that because it isn't like you have to store it someplace like you do on an airline. I mean what's it to them if you decide to hand carry your stuff on??

I know some people just prefer to carry their own items on.

But I have not heard of this...anyone else??

CRAZY MAN!!

Well MommyKim.. this is why you are studying to be the most cruised passenger on ANY cruise ship one of these days...

How's things in Santa Clarita? I used to live there wayyyyy back in the early 90's.

Well MommyKim.. this is why you are studying to be the most cruised passenger on ANY cruise ship one of these days...

How's things in Santa Clarita? I used to live there wayyyyy back in the early 90's.

I say any cruiseline as I like to sail different lines. As of right now I have 26 Princess, 12 Carnival (they only count 10 of those as 2 were before they started counting) amd 5 each on Celebrity & RCCL plus a few on other lines.

As far as Santa Clarita goes it's a lot bigger now than it was 10 years ago, thats for sure.

My son & his girlfriend both 25 years old were caught smuggling booze in their carry on baggage. They had bought two bottles of ginger ale, poured one out and filled the other with booze....not a good idea ! For care free smuggling, put it in your checked bag in plastic bottles !

Princess used to sell it precruise gift of one liter for around $35-40 USD.

Now their package doesn't specify size !

eaglewar

My son & his girlfriend both 25 years old were caught smuggling booze in their carry on baggage. They had bought two bottles of ginger ale, poured one out and filled it with booze....not a good idea ! For care free smuggling, put it in your checked bag in plastic bottles !

Princess used to sell it precruise gift of one liter for around $35-40 USD.

Now their package doesn't specify size !

eaglewar

Archived