SAN SAN - Ultimate Yachting - is Neither

capnlars

We've taken probably 20 different RCI sponsord excursions, never was dissatisfied until this one, and will continue to take RCI sponsored excursions on future cruises; however we wanted to warn people about this particular one.

Just got back from the Explorer today, which stopped in Ocho Rios. Made the mistake of booking the SAN SAN Ultimate Yachting Adventure. Terrible, terrible, terrible - avoid at all costs. We thought that since this was a pricier excursion (about 100/per person), and the description went on about the luxurious yachting experience, that this would be an higher-end excursion.

The boat itself, I suspect, is a Florida hurricane salvage job. They crammed way too many people on board (about 60). There was not enough snorkel equipment for everyone. When we did stop to snorkel, they told us we'd have about 45 minutes. We stood in line to get equipment (they ran out of vests and fins) for almost 40 minutes. The people at the end of the line were able to snorkel for about 10 minutes total.

There were so many other things, I just don't want to get into all the details...suffice it to say that this is one to be avoided.

...for sharing your (mis)adventure w/ us. We're planning a cruise that calls on Jamaica (Ocho Rios), so I'm already reading the boards. Sorry you had such a disappointing excursion - but hope the rest of your cruise was memorable in a GOOD way!!

• 2 weeks later...
We've taken probably 20 different RCI sponsord excursions, never was dissatisfied until this one, and will continue to take RCI sponsored excursions on future cruises; however we wanted to warn people about this particular one.

Just got back from the Explorer today, which stopped in Ocho Rios. Made the mistake of booking the SAN SAN Ultimate Yachting Adventure. Terrible, terrible, terrible - avoid at all costs. We thought that since this was a pricier excursion (about 100/per person), and the description went on about the luxurious yachting experience, that this would be an higher-end excursion.

The boat itself, I suspect, is a Florida hurricane salvage job. They crammed way too many people on board (about 60). There was not enough snorkel equipment for everyone. When we did stop to snorkel, they told us we'd have about 45 minutes. We stood in line to get equipment (they ran out of vests and fins) for almost 40 minutes. The people at the end of the line were able to snorkel for about 10 minutes total.

There were so many other things, I just don't want to get into all the details...suffice it to say that this is one to be avoided.

I'm sorry to hear of your negative experience with the SanSan excursion. We did this excursion this past December and really enjoyed it. Here is a portion of my review from our cruise:

We had booked the Ultimate Yachting Experience on the San San through RCCL but hadn’t been able to find much out about it on the boards. This excursion is a 90-foot boat ride to a coral reef snorkel spot and then to Dunn’s to climb the falls. On the way, they served coffee and punch. On the way back they had a fruit buffet, free alcohol and played Caribbean music. This boat could hold a lot of people, but I know there were less than 20 of us. While the boat is starting to show its age, it was clean and very fun.

Snorkel equipment was provided. A guide from the boat stayed with us while snorkeling and brought up sea urchins and sea cucumbers and pointed out fish. The snorkeling was not as good here as it was in St. Thomas last year, but we still saw several fish. They just weren’t as large and colorful.

We had so much fun at the falls! Water shoes are a must, and be sure to take a water camera. Don’t bother taking your sunglasses, as the entire climb is shaded. If you wear glasses, put a strap on them. This climb took much more exertion than I had imagined and the climb was higher than I imagined. I think it took us an hour. Our guide was great and held my mom’s hand the entire time! He took lots of great pictures using our cameras, and a video was being shot of our group. RCCL even had a photographer in the water! We purchased the DVD for $40 (cash), and it was delivered to guest relations on the ship before we left Jamaica. Remember also to take along tip money for your guide. Since we got there by boat, we were able to walk back down to the beach and thus avoid the craft market at the top.

Archived