Help Please - Oosterdam v Westerdam etc

pniffer

Can anyone help please. I have sailed on Noordam last year, and enjoyed it very much. I am looking at either the Caribbean or Mexico this November, and the ships cruising there are the Oosterdam (Mexico) or the Westerdam and the Zuiderdam (Caribbean). Although the ratings for all these ships are the same in the Berlitz guide to cruising, and Vacations to Go travel agents, other reviewers seem to strongly disagree. Travelocity have the Oosterdam as the poorest of the fleet, and so does the Cruise Critic reviewers on this site. I am taking a girlfriend who has never cruised before, so I don't want to be disappointed. Can anyone explain the variation in Oosterdam's reviews?:confused:

The ships are essentially the same. There are also great reviews of the Oosterdam on these boards. I think your best to decide on the itinerary rather than the ship. The Caribbean or Mexico?

Yes I was under the impression at first that the ship was very similar to others in the set, but became worried when the reviews didn't match. I agree that the itinerary is the issue. Another thought... the Mexican trip has 2 full days at sea - is the Pacific ocean likely to be a problem that time of year?

The Oosterdam had an azipod problem which lasted for several months but has been fixed. That is the only reason I can think of for her less-than-positive-reviews. Aside from the "pod" issue I haven't seen anything but good things reported about her. She has the best hotel manager in the fleet and a very happy crew and I have never heard any comments about her that were anything like Zuiderdam's freports from the first few years.

People really rave about Oosterdam and have since we were in Rotterdam during her christening in 2003.

She's a great ship, I don't think you will be wrong in choosing her.

GN

Reviews are highly subjective. You have to read them carefully and figure out what horse the writer wants to beat.

Westerdam, Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, and Noordam are essentially similar. Zuiderdam is the oldest, Noordam is the newest. Some reviewers seem to freak out over every little worn spot in the carpet or dot of paint, and those might see tiny signs of wear in Zuiderdam that they will not on Noordam. Otherwise, there is really no physical difference in the ships.

The other significant difference can be in the crew and the officers. Again you have to figure out what the reviewer is having problems with. Some people who are on board during a Code Red just get apopleptic about the servers in the buffet. Some get upset because the Cruise Director is not as funny as they think he should be. Some may simply have demanded things they weren't entitled to.

Our experience with HAL, including Zuiderdam and Westerdam, has always been outstanding, and in every case the crew have given excellent and polite service. I think any of these Vista class ships will provide you a wonderful experience.

Check our cruise page in the sig file for reviews and pictures of both Zuiderdam and Westerdam.

Have a GREAT cruise!

I agree that the ships are pretty much the same, with the exception of the personality of the ship based on the officers and crew. I cannot speak for the Westerdam since I have not sailed on her since 2005 and while it it was not a bad cruise in any particular way it was rates in the bottom 2 of our HAL cruises but a lot can change since 2005. Now for the Oosterdam Since 2004 I have never had anything but a perfect cruise on her.

I think you need to decided on itinerary since you care fying a very long way I am sure you will do some other sight seeing on land. If you were on the Noordam most likely you saw some East Coast and of course you did Caribbean. You may want to fly to the West Coast of the US and do some sight seeing in Southern California which is very nice and the Mexican Riviera is a very relaxing cruise. Which ever you decided I am sure you will enjoy.

BTW I too would not listen to any review that are unfavorable about the Oosterdam they have no idea what they are talking about. In my opinion you could not ask to sail on a better ship. But then I am a bit biased:o

I have been on both the Westerdam and the Oosterdam. I loved both ships, however, service goes to Oosterdam (Hotel Manager Mr Deering is beloved by staff and passangers), plus I loved having an extra sea day. Mr. Deering treats cruise critics well....However, the pacific ocean when we went in April had more moderate seas, where in the Carribean (except perhaps during hurricane activity) they have more slight seas. Love "Wavelets" and that beautiful carribean blue water... It was also cooler out of San Diego and down towards Cabo and couldn't use our balcony as much, however, it may just have been the week...

That being said, I would recommend you go for destinations...even though I absolutely loved the Oosterdam and the staff I will opt for Westerdam or Zuiderdam since they are in the carribean....I think Holland is great and the Vista class is a perfect size for me. DB

If you've never been here and don't mind the extra (from the east coast) 5 plus hour hop to the west coast, I'd say go for Oosterdam. The Mexican Riviera is a different experience than the Carib. San Diego is a great city to spend some time in and has lots of attractions.

I echo the others' sentiments about Oosterdam! She is a nice ship and even with the ailing pod (now fixed), we had a great time on her. She does have the best hotel manager in the fleet (when he's not on vacation). You will enjoy her. November weather in the Pacific should still be nice as you head south. Coming back up north (after your last port) there's always a bit more motion in the ocean but that just helps you get to sleep;)

Have a great cruise, whatever itinerary/ship you choose!:)

Thanks to everyone for your replies which have given me plenty to think about. The flights from Manchester UK and similar in cost and time, and and I have yet to visit the West Coast of the US and the Mexican riviera sounds tempting. I had a bad experience with the weather on the trip back from Bahamas to NY last October, which prompted me question about the ocean waves in the pacific. I will discuss with my friend, taking account of all the sound advice you have given me. I am assured one thing tho, that the Oosterdam is a fine ship and I would have a great time on her. :)

The Pacific Ocean is going to be a calmer sail in the southerly direction toward Mexico as you're going with the current. It's a bit bumpier sailing back up toward San Diego but nothing that should make one seasick.

This may not be an option for you, but if you could find a suitable West Coast to East Coast cruise through the Panama Canal, you would have many advantages. The smoother southern trip along the coast, the variety of ports, the Canal experience, and a shorter flight back home. If you search the "discount" web-sites, you might find a trip at a good price.

I looked at that option, gratefulguy, but the cruises tend to be longer and more expensive. I certainly am interested in that route for the future, but probably not this time. I have decided on the Caribbean, mainly because of the slightly better flight options from Manchester, but also because the 2 sea days back up to San Diego were slightly less appealing than the calmer seas of the Carib. This gives us the options of the Westerdam and the Zuiderdam on the dates I'm looking at towards the end of November. As advised, I am concentrating on itinerary rather than ship, as they are probably both equal by and large. I think the Zuiderdam route is my preference. You've all been great with your advice and comments.:D

As many have mentioned, I would look at the itinerary first. I can only give you advice regarding the Z. We recently sailed in March on an Eastern Car. route. Yes she is the oldest of the Vista Class, but I can't tell you one negative thing about the week. The staff is just wonderful and the ship is just fun/interesting. I think the bottom-line is that you can't go wrong with the HAL Fleet.

Have sailed on both ships - loved both ships.

It is the itinerary you should be thinking about first.

I completely agree. Crews can change and onboard pax dynamics vary from cruise to cruise and no two pax experience the same cruise.

And considering the time and distance you are flying, I am going to assume that you will arrive a day or more before your cruise. Do you want to spend this time in Florida or California?

This gives us the options of the Westerdam and the Zuiderdam on the dates I'm looking at towards the end of November.
The Westerdam is just completing (or has just completed ... not sure of the date) her "aft lift" and SOE upgrade, and should be all spiffed up like a brand new ship! :) We liked the Noordam a bit better than Westerdam because it was newer and had improvements ... and you said you liked the Noordam ... so maybe now the W'dam will have the newness edge.

We have sailed on the Zuiderdam, Westerdam and Oosterdam and were pleased with the ships and their crews in all three cases. When we were on them, these ships were virtually identical in layout and amenities. The Westerdam is being refitted this year to be more like the Noordam with around 3 dozen more aft cabins and a squarer shape in the back.

Within the Vista class, itinerary rather than the specific ship should drive your decision. We found the Mexican Riviera on the Oosterdam a couple months ago to be a bit more scenic than our cruises to the Eastern and Western Caribbean.

Air transportation may also be something for you to consider in your choice of port city. Since we fly out of Cleveland there are a couple suitable direct flights to Fort Lauderdale. It isn't quite as quick and easy for us to get to San Diego. Next time we sail out of there we will probably fly in a day early and spend the night at the Holiday Inn across the street from the pier.

Bill

FYI - My neighbor has a friend that is a travel agent. The Oosterdam docked in San Diego and travel agents were brought on board with potential customers for lunch and a tour. My friend is a non-smoker. She said the smell of smoke was SO thick all over the ship she felt ill. She said it was also a very, very dark decor. Just thought if anyone is adverse to cigarette smell they should be made aware of these things. This all happened within the past couple of months.

FYI - My neighbor has a friend that is a travel agent. The Oosterdam docked in San Diego and travel agents were brought on board with potential customers for lunch and a tour. My friend is a non-smoker. She said the smell of smoke was SO thick all over the ship she felt ill. She said it was also a very, very dark decor. Just thought if anyone is adverse to cigarette smell they should be made aware of these things. This all happened within the past couple of months.

This is a bummer I am sailing oosterdam this month and my wife can't stand smoke smell...

I'm not a big fan of the Vista ships, but have sailed on the Oosterdam. I can hardly believe that TA was on that particular ship.

Decor tastes are a matter of personal opinion, but in this case I would like to know 'very very dark' in comparison to what. Maybe in comparison to Princess ships, but if comparing the Oosterdam to other HAL ships it is anything but dark decor. Possibly this TA has no appreciation for polished wood and brass similar to oceanliners and prefers a floating contemporary hotel?

'Smell of smoke was SO thick all over the ship'? That really is impossible as smoking is allowed only in pax' cabins, a small section outdoors, and small areas in several of the bar lounges. No smoking in any indoor dining area (I presume the TA was in the main dining room where there NEVER has been smoking allowed), no smoking in the show lounge ever, no smoking in the hallways or other public areas. It is hard to imagine how a smoke smell was SO thick all over the ship. Exaggeration?

These comments are not to start a 'smoking thread', but only to point out to potential first time HAL cruisers that the TA's comments should be taken with a grain of salt for what they are.

only to point out to potential first time HAL cruisers that the TA's comments should be taken with a grain of salt for what they are.

That being me...I am a first time cruiser and a first time HAL cruiser...so I will take this into consideration...

Thanks for the advice..

HALNEWBY: I can't find my other post to you so I wanted to let you know there is a Roll Call for the 5/19 Oosterdam sailing. So far there are 2 other couples who have responded, making 6 of us CC's on board. I hope you'll add your name to the list. We're trying to organize a get-together and you and your wife would be missed.

As for smoking, I certainly hope the TA was grossly exaggerating re the smell of smoke as we are very sensitive to it as well and are going to have to avoid certain areas as it is. But even if, I trust that with the recent refit that they've eliminated some or most of those issues.

Linda in DFW

Archived