Hawaii Weather Forecast

hcs81m

:(

I am leaving tomorrow for the Pride of Hawaii so I checked the weather forecast and I wished I hadn't.

Just about every island is showing rain for most of the week. Hilo is showing 7 days of straight rain. Did I pick the wrong time of the year to visit the islands?

I know I should feel lucky just to be going on a cruise, but am I wrong to be a little disappointed with the forecast?

on our recent cruise 4/8 it said the same thing,

and everyday was nice in the 80's and it rained on and off , more off,,

thats how hawaiis weather is,,,

you wont be sorry ,, it will still be warm

melissa

This kind of forecast is normal for Hawaii year round. When it shows rain, it's usually showers that might or might not happen (and would likely be of short duration). All the rain is the reason that the green parts are always green.

The windward sides (east; e.g., Hilo) get much, much more rain on average than the leeward sides (west; e.g., Kona). Hilo's average is more than 100 inches per year, but the Kohala coast north of Kona generally gets 12 inches or so per year. It can be showering in Kahului, but be clear as a bell in Lahaina. Weather forecasts show the chance of rain pretty much every day because it might happen. Don't think that it means that it will be pouring all day, every day while you are there because that is extremely unlikely. Even when it does shower, life pretty much goes on as normal.

If you do some more detailed checking, you'll find that what I've written above is pretty accurate. DH and I have visited at all times of the year, and we've never had a trip with no rain at all. It will almost certainly rain at some point while you're on your cruise and you will likely experience showers from time to time. Bottom line is that (in a way) yes, you are wrong to be disappointed in the forecast because this forecast is what you would find most of the year. (December through late March is the rainier season, but rain is simply a part of life in Hawaii no matter the time of year.) If you were looking to visit when there will be no rain, then you would have been disappointed no matter when you planned your visit.

Just as an example, I checked Accuweather for Hilo for the next 2 weeks. Most days say "mostly cloudy with a shower" or "partly cloudy with a passing shower" or "somewhat cloudy." They do not say "rain all day." One day says "cloudy, downpours, humid," but even then it might not rain all day.

Here's a link to a recent discussion about when is considered the "best" time to cruise (or visit) Hawaii. There's a lot about the weather patterns and what's typical.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=509459&highlight=weather+rain

Hope you have a great time and aren't too disappointed with the fact that it will rain while you are there.

beachchick

We arrived in Honolulu yesterday around 6pm, and guess what? I haven't seen any rain yet. It's actually a really nice day, just a few scattered cluds off in the distance.

Thanks for the information melika091900 and beachchick. I will write a detailed review of the POH when we return.

Archived