Yanks in Europe?

Definitely K-eltic but there is a problem in Scotland that has a big soccer team called Celtic with S sound.

Guienevere-A -your name has a Celtic sound- love it!!

Well thank you; I love it too! Ever since I discovered that my grandmother was Scotch-Irish, descended from the Low Countries, I believe, I have been even further fascinated with the history/culture of the UK. I have been lucky enough to visit the UK three summers in a row, and I have done my best to go all around the countries and visit both metropolisis and villages. I haven't yet made it to Ireland, but I will! :D

We have elevated Rick Steves to sainthood in this vacationing family.

Hey beachnative! So have we! We love Rick Steves. On our trip (land-based, not cruise) to Europe in Sept 06 we hired one of Rick's travel planners to help us with our itinerary. I can honestly say that when we think of our fondest travel memories, it was that trip to Germany and England.

London was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo expensive though, and it prohibits us from sailing out of there. While the city is beautiful, we stayed in a clean, inexpensive place in the Bayswater neighborhood and it still cost us $260 US equivalent. When I pay $260 for one night, it's typically in a 4-star; this of course was not, and we weren't expecting it to be. It was nice and clean, and the hotel staff were extremely helpful and friendly. We are thrifty travelers on land, but it was the least expensive we could find for a clean place in a decent area. It was just for one night, and was 5X more than any place we stayed in Germany. We will travel to London again, but only if/when it ever becomes affordable. So, no cruises for us from there.

Hey beachnative! So have we! We love Rick Steves. On our trip (land-based, not cruise) to Europe in Sept 06 we hired one of Rick's travel planners to help us with our itinerary. I can honestly say that when we think of our fondest travel memories, it was that trip to Germany and England.

London was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo expensive though, and it prohibits us from sailing out of there. While the city is beautiful, we stayed in a clean, inexpensive place in the Bayswater neighborhood and it still cost us $260 US equivalent. When I pay $260 for one night, it's typically in a 4-star; this of course was not, and we weren't expecting it to be. It was nice and clean, and the hotel staff were extremely helpful and friendly. We are thrifty travelers on land, but it was the least expensive we could find for a clean place in a decent area. It was just for one night, and was 5X more than any place we stayed in Germany. We will travel to London again, but only if/when it ever becomes affordable. So, no cruises for us from there.

Love London; would move in a heartbeat. expensive, but deals are to be found. Have you looked into booking an apartment when you go? We stayed at a fantastic flat in Ealing, just thirty minutes on the Picadilly line to Central London; was fabulous!

We have also found a B&B in London that we personally enjoyed, the Belgrove Hotel. It's actually in the King's Cross area, which is scary to some people, but the actual hotel/block is safe and close to major rail stations/sights; also, loved their English breakfast in the morning! 50 GBP for double with breakfast; not terrible...

Liz and Laura,

My screen name says all I need to say! :D Of course I've yet to make it to Wales but Celtic that it is I think I'll love it, too.

Beth

In my opinion, Wales was much more Celtic-driven than Scotland, but I loved both! UK cousins, are there some places that I need to put on my "mustsee" list next time I vist? I try to fit it all in, but can never find the time, which is great...keeps giving me a reason to come back!

Wales: Hay-On-Wye, Chepstow

Scotland: Braemar, Balmoral, Pitlochry, Glamis, Nairn, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Linwood, Fort Augustus, Oban, Conely, St. Andrews, Aberdeen, Perth, Stirling, Blair Atholl, Blairgowrie...(more?)

England: London, Canterbury, Dover, Lincoln, Grantham, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwick, Coventry, Windermere (whole Lake District, actually, and I loved Keswick!), Bath, Winchester, Salisbury... (more?)

Whew, my mind is exhausted, and I might have missed a few..

Any suggestions would be great!

Guienevere_Arianette, I would add the Isle of Skye and perhaps other Hebrides to your must see list. If you're in Oban you can book a day trip that goes out across the Isle of Mull and then by boat to Staffa, a little dot of an island, on to Iona and then back across Mull. And, if you're a DaVinci Code fan you have to visit Roslyn Chapel which is just to the south of Edinburgh.

Glencoe is a must see, too, as are Loch Lomond and Loch Ness. And the view from the top of Rest and Be Thankful is one of the loveliest I've seen.

I didn't see York on your England must-see. I love York and the North Yorkshire Railway is just wonderful.

Well, I'm getting upset writing about all these places I want to visit again. Anybody over there want to hire a semi-retired woman minister for a year or two? :D

In my opinion, Wales was much more Celtic-driven than Scotland, but I loved both! UK cousins, are there some places that I need to put on my "mustsee" list next time I vist? I try to fit it all in, but can never find the time, which is great...keeps giving me a reason to come back!

Wales: Hay-On-Wye, Chepstow

, and I might have missed a few..

Any suggestions would be great!

Cardiff, Blaenavon-a world heritage site, Gower peninsula, Caerphilly Castle, My three fave castles- Kidwelly, Carreg Cennen and Pembroke, Pembrokeshire and its coast, Aberdovey, Portmeirion, Conway, Caernarfon, Snowdonia .........and so on

They say variety is the spice of life. I wonder how many from the USA will come to Europe next summer to cruise from near London on the brand new Independence of the Seas to see the Med in all its splendour? And what the experience will be for us English?

Could you please make that "Us British"? I was asked by a school teacher from Atlanta on the Legend last year which part of England was Scotland situated in! I tried to be as diplomatic as possible with my answer, but I really felt like asking If Georgia had joined the Union yet.

Alan

Nobody answered the initial question, but I am surely getting a feel of what to expect!

Thanks.

Nick

PS - I'm English by the way, not necessarily British (which includes the Welsh and Irish who would mostly love to have their independence from their mother state). But I do take the term Brit as one of endearment, from all you YANKS

They say variety is the spice of life. I wonder how many from the USA will come to Europe next summer to cruise from near London on the brand new Independence of the Seas to see the Med in all its splendour? And what the experience will be for us English?

These were the OP's questions. Let's bring this thread back on topic, please.

Karen

HostKaren@CruiseCritic.com

I for one would love to go! My MIL went to Scotland a few years ago and loved it! I can't get hubby to travel outside the US at the moment, but maybe MIL will go with me? I tend to believe that people are people everywhere when the are not acting stupid! :D

Where would you reccomend we go when there?

These were the OP's questions. Let's bring this thread back on topic, please.

Karen

HostKaren@CruiseCritic.com

Just thinking this topic had waivered away- I'm just as much to blame.

Anyway, I shall be responsible for bringing over at least one US resident( hopefully others too) to sail on Independence as my niece who lives in Brooklyn will be joining me. As for the experience of her coming over on English people.... well she was born in England of Welsh parents. ;) :D

Just thinking this topic had waivered away- I'm just as much to blame.

Anyway, I shall be responsible for bringing over at least one US resident( hopefully others too) to sail on Independence as my niece who lives in Brooklyn will be joining me. As for the experience of her coming over on English people.... well she was born in England of Welsh parents. ;) :D

Laura can you tell me how to post a pic in you signature? I couldn't do it? You'd get a kick out of seeing my pups. Different bread but very similar to your two! :)

I'm torn for next summer ... Indepdendence out of SH our B2B2B on Navigator out of Barcelona. Independence is so much more .... but I really would like to experience a little bit of England (only have been to France so far).

Laura can you tell me how to post a pic in you signature? I couldn't do it? You'd get a kick out of seeing my pups. Different bread but very similar to your two! :)

Sorry- I cannot remember how I did it- I think I uploaded the pics to photobucket and copied from there to the sig but I wouldn't swear to it.

Bob- I have been out of Barcelona on Brilliance- good trip but it was a 12 day as far as Venice.

We will be making our 1st trip to Europe this September when we cruise on Century out of Barcelona. We'll be returning for our second European cruise in November of 2008 on Galaxy out of Rome. I would also like to do a cruise that takes in England, Scottland and Ireland in the not too distant future.

Yes the airfare is steep, but airfares are up everywhere. And, as the old saying goes, we're not getting any younger, so we may as well do it while we can still enjoy it.

The main trepidation I'm facing is packing. I fear that due to luggage restrictions we're going to have to pack really smart, and I'm not at all sure what the weather / tempetures will be like in the Med in late September and mid November. Plus my wife always overpacks. When we did our 14 day Hawaii cruise in March 2006 she needed to rent a Pod.

I'm not at all sure what the weather / tempetures will be like in the Med in late September and mid November.

Cold! On land you will be wearing a sweater during the day if you are lucky, if it rains you will need a warm raincoat. At night, you will probably be very lucky if you can go on deck as it will be very chilly at sea.

We did the Med in May and it was cool at night, I'd guess May would be similar to September and that October the weather will detoriorate quickly.

Good luck.

Nick

Sal7202 I don't know you're itinerary, but here are the average temperatures someone on our roll call found for the ports our Galaxy cruise will visit in October:

Rome – 71

Civitavecchia – 70

Mikonos – 74

Rhodes – 75

Santorini – 74

Istanbul – 67

Odessa – 58

Kusadasi – 73

Athens – 73

Naples – 71

Also, I was on the Brilliance out of Barcelona last November 7th. We sailed first to Villefranche, then to Malaga and on across the Atlantic. We were in Villefranche on November 8th and Malaga on November 10th, and I didn't need a sweater at either port. I also wore sandals.

Hope this helps.

Beth

Archived