Celebrity Summit Vs. RCCL Adventure

Caillou1

Hi,

I've been searching through a lot of great threads here regarding the differences between the two lines. I've only sailed on RCCL Seranade and Legend before. I have a chance (thanks to my cruise being canceled) to either book on the Adventure (JS) or X (SS). I'll be traveling with my wife, and two boys 7 & 5. My worry is feeling out of place on X with my 2 boys. I know they have the kids club and all but I just wanted to hear some opinions regarding traveling on X with 2 small boys. This is a caribbean cruise so we will be out and off the ship a bunch when in port. Thanks in advance for any opinions you can give.

I would like to know also. I am seriously considering the summit for next March. I love the itin and we have done both Adventure and Serenade.

My concern is how dressed up do you need to be every night other than formal and what is the entertainment like?

Thanks.

I think you will be much happier with RCCL. When we take our grandchildren on a cruise we will definetly chose RCCL over Celebrity. Celebrity caters much more to adults in my opinion (for whatever it is worth)

Sue :)

Here's my thougths on the two ships (I've sailed both or their sister ships several times each).

First ~ I think too much emphasis is placed on attire (on any ship or cruise). I do like when passengers adhere to the requested dress on the ship (whatever ship it might be). That being said, however, both ships have formal nights and you are going to see people dressed similarly on both ships (at least this has been our experience with these two class of ships). There are alternative dining options on both if you prefer not to go to the dining room on formal evenings. So I'm not sure there's much difference in feeling like you'll fit in.

Both lines have great children's programs. Adventurer might have a couple of extras that your children might enjoy (ice skating rink for example) but if they participate in the children's program on either ship, they'll have a great time. Don't let anyone tell you that Celebrity doesn't cater to children. I think they do a terrific job with children (our daughter, now 20, has sailed with us on both lines since she was six).

Entertainment (like food) is pretty subjective. Both lines have fine entertainment. It's enjoyable, many of the entertainers are quite talented and sometimes you'll find better talent or entertainment on one ship over the other, but that can happen on any ship.

You might find the crowd on Adventurer to be a bit more active but some of that is because you are on a much larger ship and you have a wider variety of passengers. Adventurer is far bigger than Summit (approx 150,000 tons vs 90,000 tons). Personally, we much prefer Summit's size but many others love the larger ships (and Adventurer has a Ben & Jerry's which lots of kids love).

For me, it would depend on itinerary and price as I think your family will fit in just fine on either ship. I don't think you could go wrong on either.

Remember, these are just my thoughts. Enjoy whichever ship you choose.

Host Anne gave a pretty accurate comparison of the two ships.

The children love the Kids program on every ship. My son has been on 12 cruises and he always likes the ship he just got off of best. He would be horrified if I cruised without him. He shares my passion for cruising. So your two kids will be happy on either line.

The Celebrity Fun Factory is bar none the best youth program for both kids and parents. I have done all the major lines- NCL, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Disney and Costa with kids. Because there are fewer kids on Celebrity than other lines- those that do attend the youth program get more one on one attention. The Fun Factory is open from 9AM-1AM without interruption. There is a fee if you want the kids to dine with the kids at night - $ 6. There is a fee if you leave them in the Fun Factory from 10PM-1AM ($ 6 per hour). On port days, you can leave them on the ship but they do charge for keeping them during lunch ($ 6). Your kids will love the Fun Factory and probably never want to leave. 5 and 7 are great ages for organized activities.

So it comes down to which line is for you- the adults. If you want more flexibility and selection of eating venues- go Royal Caribbean. If you don't really want to dress up and want a less formal ship- go Royal Caribbean.

I have sailed both lines and prefer Celebrity. I like that the passengers are more reserved and better dressed- even by day. Polo shirts and khaki shorts are the norm on Celebrity. Saw many wife- beater shirts and sloppily dressed people on Royal Caribbean. Just an observation.

My favorite ships so far have been the Millenium Class ships. Lots of wide open spaces, great layout, easy to find people on board because of flow. Lots of glass. Sophisticated surroundings. Not a lot of nickle and diming. I never went to the specialty restuarants. The main diningroom was great. The buffets were great. The free beverage selections at the buffet- guava juice, lemonade, fruit punch, water, coffee, etc. made sodas unnecessary. Alcohol prices are high but that made me curtail my drinking- no necessarily a bad thing. You also don't see many rowdy drunks on board. It is a classy experience.

I am one who chooses my cruises based on quality of the overall experience (food, service, cabin comfort) and also demographic.

My experiences on Adventure and three other of the RCI megaships have been that they are very much family oriented. For me, this is a reason to avoid these ships as I prefer to sail an adult oriented cruise.

IME, the food and service on X is significantly better, as well as being more formal. Passengers are far more compliant with dressing according to the dress code and remaining that way for the evening. RCI is becoming more and more casual, which is not my preference.

IMO, it is the small things that make a difference. RCI will take used silverware off your plate and put it down for you to use it again. I have never had that happen on X.:eek: X has sommeliers, RCI has their waiters performing this function.

I love the Aqua Spa on M class ships and RCI has nothing close. Fewer announcements are another plus.

Where RCI shines is in entertainment and fitness. Also, the staff and crew are very informal, energetic and friendly. RCI's larger ships also have staterooms that are really terrific for families.

If I had kids, I would very likely choose RCI. Because I do not and prefer to limit the possibilities of being overrun with them, I do not choose to cruise with RCI.

I have kids and like Celebrity WAY better than RCL. It is just more formal and that is fine with me and my kids.

I didn't like the mass market feel of RCL- either time I sailed them.

I don't travel to make my kids happy. I travel to relax and Celebrity offers that to families. The kids have their own world and parents have another. Everyone is happy. The kids would rather be with other kids. So its a win- win.

Archived