livorno trains on a sunday

We arrive in Livorno on a sunday.We intended to get a train from Livorno to Florence.Does anybody know what the sunday service is like?I have tried to find out through various web sites but remain confused (my fault probably).I have also read somewhere that florence shuts on sundays can anyone please confirm? thank you in advance.

Your general source should be:

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Important:

correct names of the stations:

Livorno Centrale

Firenze Rifredi

If you request for connection after June 10, 2007 there is a schedule change in all Europe.

Italian Railways is still updating. So do not be disappointed if you really get no information.

Wait until mid of May 2007.

Regards,

HeinBloed

The above Italian Rail site certainly works, but you might find the German rail site easier to use: http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/e It is more forgiving of spelling and English names are allowed. It won't show the prices for Italian trains, but it will have the same schedule information (except for purely local routes).

Many museums in Florence close on MONDAY .. on Sunday they are open. You should get your tickets to the main museums in advance. Google Florence museums and there will be several options on how to do this.

Paul

Thanks to all who replied.As usual CC members are an invaluable source of information.Would I be correct in assuming that the markets will be open as usual on Sundays?

HeinBloed is correct with his link to trenitalia.com.

I have been watching the site closely for a trip in early June. A majority of the regional/national schedule for June 10th and later are posting at the expense of local trains.

Trip to Florence is two legs. (1) Livorno Centrale to Pisa Centrale. Any type of train is fine. In Pisa you will have to change trains. (2) Pisa Centrale to Firenze SMN (there are two other Firenze stations and you don't want either.) Most trains are locals which means they stop almost everywhere (about 1h 30m Pisa to Firenze.) You can buy tickets in Livorno for Livorno-Firenze. Buy round-trip so that you don't have to wait in line again. Your tickets are valid till midnight of the day you purchase them. You must validate the tickets in the yellow machines before you board the train.

Don't try to pre-purchase online is you cannot for local trains. Local trains are like city buses, seating is first come, first seated. Standing in aisle might be required. No big deal - done it many times.

Relax and enjoy your trip.:)

A tip on treniitalia online schedules--you often can't check more than a month in advance. Check a Sunday this month to see what the schedules are like, they will probably be similar when you are there. Most people buy tickets for these short distance trains when they are traveling so don't worry about getting them ahead of time.

Firenze SMN to Pisa Centrale only takes an hour. The walk through Pisa from the train station to the tower is really nice (maybe 30 minutes leisurely walk). Rick Steves guide has a good map, but it's a small place and hard to get lost. Check out the small market just on the other side of the river, it had the best looking produce I saw in Tuscany.

Don't miss the Pisa baptistry and the guard singing three-part harmony with his/her echo! The church is one of my favorites in Europe.

Archived