Spirit: Ensenada to Hawaii Problems

Okay, so now there are 2 new reviews about how bad it is to embark from Ensenada to Hawaii! Is this because there are only 2 cruises per year out of there? We are planning on taking our 25th wedding anniversary cruise in 2009 but I dont want to start the cruise with something bad happening!

Five to eigh hours from San Diego to board the ship with all passengers arriving at the same time!!!! Does anyone have any good stories about getting there in a timely matter that thy can share or do I need to rethink this cruise?

We have a great aft cat 11 cabin with wraparound balcony for a great price because we booked so early and I really want to take the DW to Hawaii for our 25th. Please someone give me hope....:{)

Thanks, Scott

Okay, so now there are 2 new reviews about how bad it is to embark from Ensenada to Hawaii! Is this because there are only 2 cruises per year out of there? We are planning on taking our 25th wedding anniversary cruise in 2009 but I dont want to start the cruise with something bad happening!

Five to eigh hours from San Diego to board the ship with all passengers arriving at the same time!!!! Does anyone have any good stories about getting there in a timely matter that thy can share or do I need to rethink this cruise?

We have a great aft cat 11 cabin with wraparound balcony for a great price because we booked so early and I really want to take the DW to Hawaii for our 25th. Please someone give me hope....:{)

Thanks, Scott

Hey Scott, I thought we had talked about this last week in your other thread about this same subject! ;)

If you are embarking in Ensenada, I would not be anywhere as concerned as if you were disembarking IN Ensenada.

There is no way it is going to take you FIVE hours to get TO Ensenada from San Diego, if you werfe going to San Diego, it could very well maybe, but it is still a stretch.

As you said yourself in the other thread, you do have the option of getting the transfer to Ensenada from Carnival, so do that just for peace of mind.

I seem to remember that you are going in APRIL 2009, so you have plenty of time to think it over. But I WOULD NOT CANCEL, I have done it both ways with no problems.

Hope my reinforcement helps. :)

Hi Capt, yes we did discuss this last week and I thought maybe this year's cruise would be better, but it looks like from the two reviews it was as bad as last year's fiasco! It also looks like they had the Carnival transfers and that they had to sit on the buses for hours.

I was asking again to see if there were any positive responses for the embarking process. Like you said, it is 2 years away and a lot can happen...:{)

Thanks, again. Scott

Hi Capt, yes we did discuss this last week and I thought maybe this year's cruise would be better, but it looks like from the two reviews it was as bad as last year's fiasco! It also looks like they had the Carnival transfers and that they had to sit on the buses for hours.

I was asking again to see if there were any positive responses for the embarking process. Like you said, it is 2 years away and a lot can happen...:{)

Thanks, again. Scott

No problem Scott.

I would NOT cancel Scott.

Btw, one other thing you may consider, maybe it is way too early though but some cruiselines do from time to time do Hawaii sailings out of LA and back to LA, Princess is one of them. They usually leave out of LA, go to the Hawaiian Islands, on the return journey the make like a 3 hour stop in Ensenada just to get them over the Jones act (aka Passenger Services Act) and then return to LA. It is usually like a 2 week sailing. Just something you might want to keep an open mind about. You have plenty of time to hold on to your existing booking, once you get close to the cancellation cutoff date, you may explore other cruise option sat that time.

Capt

(Second try),hope this doesn't double post:confused:

Hi Scott, we did a lot of research for a Hawaii cruise,for our 30th anniversary, and NEVER read ANYTHING good involving Ensenada. We stayed away from that cruise for that reason. Since it is still so far out ,why not change your booking to the next leg of the reposition? Come join us cruising from Hawaii to Vancouver on the Spirit April 24th,2009 ! Good luck either way.

We did this cruise last year. From the time we landed at SAN it took 12 hours to get on the ship !!!!!! We set at least 2 hours on the bus in Ensenada ! Very un-Carnival like. The cruise was great but as usual getting there sucked!

We were on the Spirit (April 07) on its last cruise before heading to Hawaii (our itinerary was San Diego to Cabo and LaPaz and then back). When we docked in San Diego on the last day there were people boarding in San Diego for the Hawaii cruise. Is there any chance that there is a one day repositioning cruise that you could book to avoid the ordeal of going from Ensenada by bus etc.???

I know our TA said that she would NOT recommend any cruise that started or ended in Ensenada. She felt there were far too many problems.

RCCL does a 15 night cruise round trip from San Diego to Hawaii. Holland America does too. Princess goes round trip from Los Angeles.

Also there are shorter cruises that go from Vancouver BC that are one way.

Whatever you decide, hope you have a wonderful cruise.

We didn't do this on the Spirit, but on the Jubilee, back in 1998.

We arrived in San Diego after a flight from NY with a quick layover in St Lake City.

We boarded the bus within a 1/2 hour of getting to San Diego, we took the 2 hour ride, during which we did all our check in stuff. We were on the ship within 5 minutes of arriving in Ensenada.

We even got back off again just to walk around, and then back on again to watch the Holiday sail out.

Then we did shortly after, and had a glorious 5 1/2 days at sea crossing the Pacific.

Thanks all! Our main problem is the date. This date is perfect for my DW's schedule (she is an accountant and it is between dates she has to be at work) and the cruise actually falls on our 25th wedding anniversary. I did receive another email from someone that didnt have a problem and I guess I was wondering if we spent the night in Ensenada the day before the cruise would that be a better option?

We disembarked in Ensenada a few years ago at the end of our Hawaii cruise and while it was not anywhere we'd want to spend any time, the one thing everyone in our group of 8 couples decided was that it was very well organized and the transfers to San Diego to catch our flights were quick and efficient. We were on RCCL, but the bus drivers were locals. If I were you, I think I'd stay with the masses and not venture on your own into Ensenada; just my 2 cents!

Enjoy your cruise :)

We were on the Spirit (April 07) on its last cruise before heading to Hawaii (our itinerary was San Diego to Cabo and LaPaz and then back). When we docked in San Diego on the last day there were people boarding in San Diego for the Hawaii cruise. Is there any chance that there is a one day repositioning cruise that you could book to avoid the ordeal of going from Ensenada by bus etc.???

No, that would violate the Passanger Services Act, the whole reason that they have to go through this.

There was a thread on the HAL board recently where someone tried something similar (SD to Vancouver then 1 day repo to Seattle). HAL ended up cancelling the 1 day cruise on them.

Scott,

My hubby and I did this cruise in April 2005. I would definitely not cancel.

This cruise was stellar, I would do it again (yes, even from Ensenada) in a heartbeat.

What happened for us is we arrived in San Diego in the morning. Went to the port. We were early checking in, we were checked in by I think about 12noon.

We were given a number (we got 1) for the bus we were to get on when they were to begin running at around 3:00pm.

When we got to Ensenada the driver let us out. We were told they wouldn't be boarding for a while so went across the street to a bar and had great margaritas and munchies. We came back and they were boarding.

We brought snacks, things to read, etc. to pass the time and understood we might be sitting on the bus a while. I understand some people were sitting on buses for a long time.

I see it as a slight several hour imposition to 12 wonderful days in Hawaii.

I hope you go.

Thanks Winewanderer, I am a glass half full person and I guess if we plan for the worse and then make do with what comes along it will be okay, we will have 5 wonderful days at sea to relax if it gets off to a bad start :{)

Thanks for the info and maybe over the next year they will have better luck!

Scott

I was on the 4-07 cruise to Hawaii from Ensenada. And as I tried to make clear in my review, lack of communication was the main problem. Prior to getting to SD, passengers had different pieces of info. Some were told one thing, others were told something else. I spoke to 3 different Carnival reps prior to getting to SD and got different pieces of info on the same question.

My mother and I sat in the the port of SD for "hours on end" because we were told the buses would begin leaving at 1pm. When I had spoken to someone on the phone, I was told the buses would begin leaving at 11am. The buses left at 5pm. Others had been told the buses would begin leaving at 5pm so sitting there from noon til 5 was what they expected.

And while in the terminal, Carnival never said anything, despite the fact that people were frustrated. And that's what got to many of us. Even when we had to wait in Ensenada, we were told nothing.

I would say don't go directly to Ensenada. Some people on this cruise did. I don't know what happened or how they felt, but all I know is the boat didn't get to Ensenada until about 7pm. And unlike the port of SD or other check-in ports, there's nothing in Ensenada. You could roam around Ensenada itself which looked interesting (we wouldn't know because we were waiting for buses in SD), but there is no terminal to sit and wait.

I don't mean to sound negative, but that part really bothered me. And like I said, lack of communication was the problem. I would never recommend Ensenada to Hawaii and a few others said they would never do it again, but if you have to, expect to sit and wait. Expect to get on the boat late. And if things go much, much better...perfect. If not, at least you weren't let down like we were.

Outside of that, Hawaii was great and I wish y'all the best.

Thanks all! Our main problem is the date. This date is perfect for my DW's schedule (she is an accountant and it is between dates she has to be at work) and the cruise actually falls on our 25th wedding anniversary. I did receive another email from someone that didnt have a problem and I guess I was wondering if we spent the night in Ensenada the day before the cruise would that be a better option?

I think that's a great idea! I've not been in Ensenda, so I can't tell you about the cruise situation, but your idea takes care of plenty of problems! Stay the night before and start your vacation early; you'll be in time for the cruise and no worries :)

Let me add that if hubby surprised me with this cruise next April for our 10th anniversary instead of our plan to go back to Europe, I would be thrilled. That's how much I loved it.

I can understand what the previous poster was speaking of about miscommunication. We new what to expect because our travel agent explained everything to us.

But I must say as we were sitting on our bus, having just boarded, we were watching other people board. It was amazing how many didn't know what was going on. Many were downright irate that they had a 2 hour bus ride ahead of them.

That's just poor communication on the part of with whom they booked the cruise. BUT, we were told when we checked in the process so maybe they didn't listen.

One thing that was made very to us was the buses wouldn't leave until 3 or 4, I think it was closer to 4. Carnival had free buses going around the port area but hubby and I just walked. We were encouraged, via a paper flyer, to enjoy the port area.

We did the 2 hour SD harbor boat tour, walked around and had lunch, came back inside the check-in area at around 3:00pm.

Best thing is to be prepared for the long day, bring snacks and a book.

And yes the 5 sea days will be wonderful.

We did this cruise a few yrs back. It was a long day since we live on the east coast we flew in the day of the cruise and checked in early in SD around 11am. We were able to get a bus shuttle ticket that was #1 and were on the 2nd bus that left for Ensenada around 330pm we walked around SD by the cruise terminal while we waited very nice plenty placesx to eat and shop . The bus ride down was not that bad 2 hrs. We were lucky we were able to get off the Bus in Ensenada some of the later buses people had to stay on. The reason being there is not that much room for people at that port to stand around so maybe 200 of us were able to get off. The ship had to clear Mex customs so we were not able to board till around 730pm. We did see the ship sailing down from SD and actually beat it to Ensenada. IT WILL BE A LONG DAY so just be prepared for it. The great thing is you have 5 sea days to recover before you hit Hawaii so you will be adjusted to the tine change for us it was 6hrs. Have fun and enjoy the cruise we sure did :)

Archived