Jewel - Time To Return To Ship in Ports

kekoa3uk

This is a question about sailing on the Jewel, but the policy is probably the same on all NCL ships. We will be on the Med itinerary, but it's likely that the rules are the same in the Caribbean too.

What is the required time to be back on ship when sailing from the ports? Is it one hour before departure, a half hour, or varies?

Thanks for any assistance.

Buon viaggio.

Thanks to all for your quick replies. Just trying to make sure we have scheduled enough time to return to the ship from various ports. If we figured one hour ahead of departure, we might stand a good chance of being onboard within the half hour.

Buon viaggio.

We very nearly missed the ship in St. Thomas 3 weeks ago. We came strolling towards the ship and noticed MANY uniformed people staring our direction. Finally someone started waving and yelled, "Hurry!" I looked behind us to see who they were yelling at. There Wasn't anyone behind us. My husband said, "I think they mean us..." and we literally ran the rest of the way. We made it and I apologized many times over and they were not happy with us. It was my fault...in my mind I thought we had until 5:30. Not so. I felt like a complete idiot.

Later we heard that some people didn't make it back in time at one of the ports and literally stood watching the ship leave port. I learned a big lesson. Double check the Freestyle Daily for times and listed to the announcements....

Thanks to all for your quick replies. Just trying to make sure we have scheduled enough time to return to the ship from various ports. If we figured one hour ahead of departure, we might stand a good chance of being onboard within the half hour.

Buon viaggio.

As long as you're back at the ship in time, you'll be ok. Meaning, don't worry about there being a huge line and anyone who's not on board exactly 30 minutes before departure is out of luck. Personally, I like to be back about an hour before I have to. Gives us plenty of extra "just in case" time, plus we can do some shopping if we have the time.

this is copied direct off ncl site

What is the Final Boarding Time Policy?

Please be advised that on Embarkation Day, all guests must be onboard the ship no less than one hour from the ship’s scheduled departure time.

In addition, in all ports of call, it is also the guest’s responsibility to be back onboard the ship no less than one hour from the ship’s scheduled departure time. Please be aware that shipboard time may differ from the port of call and it is the guest’s responsibility to follow the shipboard time.

In the event a guest misses the ship, it will be the guest’s responsibility to pay all expenses incurred to rejoin the ship. Expenses may be substantial and could include food, lodging, airfare, car rental and other fees not listed.

Well, as you get off the ship at each port, there will be a big sign giving two times - one for crew and one for passengers. Occasionally it changes from the daily if for some reason the port time is lengthened. That happened to us in Dominica.

Usualy, they will announce the latest boarding time over the loudspeakers when they announce you can go ashore. If the ship arrived in port late, often the Captain will stay slightly later. Always listen to the loudspeakers, the printed itinerary is not always correct.

Thanks to all for the great tips - especially checking the sign that reminds the passengers about what time to return. We will also try to listen to the loudspeakers for announcements, plan on no less than 30 minutes but aim for 1 hr, and keep our fingers and toes crossed that we remember where the ship has anchored. More than once I have seen someone off a cruise ship that looks familiar heading in one direction and then realized they aren't on our cruise.

Buon viaggio.

Archived